Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-22-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
I am selling a boat for a friend, 1996 Moomba and this guy in Calgary Canada wants to buy it, but now he wants me to deliver it to the boarder, WA – BC and he will have a cashier’s check for me.
Its sounds legit, he talks like he really likes the boat, talks about scratches on it, what does it need, all the basics.
Now talking with him about the extras that it comes with, like the wakeboard poll that goes over the ski pylon, he says: wakeboarding? It does what.
I told him about the Ski / barefoot Boom that goes off to the side of the boat for learning how to ski and other things, he says: hmm that sounds interesting.
The last was the fat sac and pump; he didn’t say anything about it, like how big is it? Or what type of pump,
Just sounds weird that someone buy a boat like this they would have some type of knowledge about them, then how fast he was talking about make copies of the titles signed off and send them to him after he sends me a PayPal deposit,
I just don’t know, any Ideas
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
if you are not comfortable selling it to him, then don't. I would usually trust your gut instincts in a situation like this.

(Message edited by ttrigo on April 22, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Don't even think about taking a cashiers check. Make him go to your bank with you, or have his bank transfer the funds into your bank.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-22-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
He can take you a bank draft from his bank and you can clear that at a your bank at a branch near the border. If you PM me with any specific information I can see what I can find out for you in Calgary. Don't sign off until he gives you all the money. He can get insurance easily here and can even arrange for the trailer registration without a problem.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
You don't say which Moomba your selling, but I'd assume being a 96 that it is the Boomerang. It could be that the guy isn't into wakeboarding with the boat, which would explain his reactions.

Definitely make sure funds are transferred to your bank account before you give up the boat. In other threads here on WW, guys have talked about it taking up to 24 hrs, but can usually be done within the day if it's initiated early in the morning.
Any kind of check or money order is garbage now days.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Some of this sounds legit. He cannot bring the boat across the boarder without the title and registration. However, there is absolutely nothing that would prevent him from meeting you in Blaine. I would definately not hand over boat or title until payment is confirmed. when I sold my last boat, I had sveral people from BC call, they were all willing to pick it up in Seattle.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Sounds like a scam. Like the one where someone from far away sends you a Cashier's check for over the amount and you're supposed to send back the difference. A few days later, you find out it's a fake Cashier's check, your bank drops you, and you're out the difference you sent ( or in your case, your boat). Make him transfer the funds and wait until they clear to give up the boat.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Have him wire transfer part of the money then have him pay cash for the balance when you see him. I just bought a boat out of Oregon (I'm in BC) and that's how I did it - secure for both parties. What's a 96 Moomba worth? Have him pay it all in USD cash if he wants it that bad.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-22-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
One thing, I ask him if he had ever drove from there to here in Vancouver WA, he said yeah, a few weeks ago he was down here, now he said he has some type of issues to where he cannot cross the boarder, if you map it in google it says 14 hr road trip, he said only 7-8 hr road trip, its getting weird by the minute
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       04-22-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
First, it's only about 6-8 hours from the border to Vancouver Washington. Not sure where Google is taking you.
I sold my boat to a guy in Vancouver BC. The taxes up there are unreal as are the prices of vehicles. Canadians are flocking down here with the weak dollar to buy things. The Canadian prices haven't adjusted to the reduced dollar.
Have him draft the bank check from a known bank, preferably the same bank you use. Wells Fargo is up there for sure. My buyer sounded legit and came down for a test drive before buying. All the normal things that people do with used equipment.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-22-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Just make sure you don't give him your bank info. If it is a scam he would probably like that more than the free boat.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-22-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
Jeff
google from vancouver to Calgary
Old     (jenk2board)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-22-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
I agree with Greg. Sounds like a total scam. I was selling a wakeboard, and some guy called me. He sent me $2000 dollars in travelers checks. He asked me to cash the checks, take what he owed and send the rest over to him in England. I got the cops involved and they took the checks. They said the same thing, that the checks would probably be able to be cashed, but then a couple of days later would bounce, and I would owe the bank the money while the scam artist had mine.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-22-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
I have sold a lot of stuff, would not dream of taking a cashiers check. Hell last time the guy that was buying a boat had a cashier check drawn on BOA, went to a BOA to cash, would not cash it. Could not verify signature till Monday. Cash or Wire with no return.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Scam....completely. No deal
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Um, Vancouver WA to Blaine is only like 4 hrs, depending on the traffic in the Seattle area.

The Canadian's are buying a lot of US boats these days, new & used. Tell the buyer that you will do the deal if he wires the funds, deposit first before you ever leave your house, then the full amount, his bank to yours. Touch base with someone at your own bank so they can monitor the transaction. If he's legit, he'll oblige. Other than the cashier's check thing, I don't see any reason why this is a scam. If he balks at the wire transfer, then you have proof.

I bought a pair of ATVs from a guy a year ago. Had my credit union write up a cashier's check, met the seller at a Bank of America (his bank). He made the deposit & we did the deal in the parking lot. I'm not sure if the banks can/cannot verify funds immediately or what.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on April 22, 2008)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-22-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
he also didn't know what barefooting is. So he doesn't ski/foot or know what a wakeboarding is???
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-22-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
I'll do one better! Bring your boat to me..(Tx) and I'll give you a I OWE YOU and a 12-Pack!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-22-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ken, I'm in Calgary and I've driven from Calgary through Vancouver WA. It's 14 hours. The only reason a Canadian can't get into the USA is if they have a criminal record. It's starting to sound like a scam. If he wants you to take the boat across the border it could only be a scam.
Good luck.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-22-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
UPDATE: Just did a google search on the phone number, the guy is legit, he is a RV / Boat dealer, but I got a local call on it today so I am just going that rout......
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-22-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Ken, what dealership in Calgary? Just send a pm if you want.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-22-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:5LFYyRWxXKEJ:calgary.kijiji.ca/f-outboard-cars-vehicles-boats-W0QQisSearchFormZtrueQQCatIdZ29QQKeywordZoutboard+ 403-313-3344&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Yeah I have a guy trying to send me a cashiers check, and he has never seen the boat. I called him out on it, complete scam.
Old    nwwakerider            04-22-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
From reading stories on here I have learned that if something seems fishy, it prolly is. You gotta be safe, or you can get screwed. I have posted a few items on craigslist and I usually get at least one call that seems like a scam right away.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-22-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
Hey Ken,
Is that one dealer's ads? Looks A Canadian Ebay site full of ads from all over CA.

Who's the dealer?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-22-2008, 10:30 PM Reply   
That site's KiJiJi. In Calgary it's about the same size as CraigsList is, and the exact same process. Those Malibu's are all made in Vernon.