Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    auclutch            06-29-2003, 9:30 PM Reply   
Has anyone here tried using these hydrostabilizers and if so did you find a noticeable result? I know they don't cost much, but being the student that i am every penny counts and I don't wanna waste money on something that i don't think will be beneficial to my wakeboarding experience.

THANKS!!!

http://www.yeilding.com/Tiger_Shark.HTM

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$DCBTGSQAABC1WQSNDV0SFFCCJUOXKIV0?CATID =175446&BQ=jcw2
Old    mt_hed            06-30-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
we have one and it does work. It gets the boat up on plane easier and faster. It's kinda hard to describe everything it does, but it really changes for the better.
Old    krug            06-30-2003, 9:33 PM Reply   
I had a cobra stabilizer on a 17' i/o and it was like a new boat drove alot better and the wake was very big and much cleaner, I weighted the bow and trimmed the motor up
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-02-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
They definately help. Weighted down,my boat would take forever to plane. Once I put the hydro-foil on, it planned right off the bat. It dropped my top end by about 8MPh. I have the S.E. 300 by Sport Marine. I think it's the biggest one you can get.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-02-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
Worth every penny. I used to have a 17' Checkmate with a 200HP Mercury outboard and although it was fast once on a plane, it struggled on hole shots, especially weighted with a person behind the boat. We ended up getting a Sting Ray because it is one piece instead of two.

It made a world of difference for getting the boat on a plane. As far as a wake difference I didn't notice any and the only problem I had was on an extremely hard turn the edge would catch the water and cause ventilation.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2003, 8:42 AM Reply   
I had the SE300 and it worked great for faster planing. I think it made the wake smaller though. The problem is that it is really well designed for lift and also that it sits kind of far back on the outdrive. The latter characteristic causes a problem when you trim the outdrive up. Half of the thing comes out of the water and you lose most of the downward force you might otherwise have had.

It also caused prop cavitation on sharp turns.

So I bought some 3/8" stainless plate for $30 and made my own "stabilizer"...

With this one, the boat still planes much more quickly but the shape of it works much better for enlarging and cleaning up the wake. I also haven't noticed any cavitation problems with this one. As you can see, it is designed more like the Doel-Fin and Tigershark fins (wider and farther forward). The main reason I extended it back so far in the middle was to minimize bending and the resultant extra forces on the outdrive.

I would really recommend this do-it-yourself project if you have the time and tools. I think the end product is much better than any commercially available product for my intended use. All you need is a table saw with a cheap abrasive blade, a grinder, a belt sander, a drill, and a dremel (if you want to clean up the two inside corners). Total time: 3-5 hours. Oh, I also covered the contact surface with 1/8" peel-and-stick rubber padding to eliminate stress points on the outdrive. If you have a high-speed rotary sander/polisher, you could also make it really shiny. I just left mine with a matte finish.

BTW, the reason you don't need an actual foil-shaped stabilizer to help with planing is that the outdrive has a considerable downward angle relative to the running surface of the boat with the trim all the way down. I noticed this when I was taking pictures of the new "stabilizer".
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-02-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
That is some fine work Salmon!!