Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-12-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
I found a 2008 Chevy Silverado that is optioned out just about exactly like I would do it if buying new. It has only 10K miles, so it is just like new to me, just not quite as new car 'smelly'.

The question I have is if anyone has any regrets about owning one of these or anything in particular I should watch out for that might affect my satisfaction later.

The price is about 20% less than what a new one would cost, comparably equipped, which seems about right to me. I feel good about saving the money and it makes the wife happy too, to buy a barely used truck with majority of the factory warranty remaining.

I have a Ford Excursion and love pulling with a diesel, but it is clear that Ford hasn't found a motor as good as the old 7.3, since they keep switching every few years. It appears that the 6.0 is keeping the service department busy. Honestly, the Chevy seats fit my odd shaped body just a little better.

I used to own a 1999 suburban and finally have found forgiveness in my heart for making that POS, willing to try them again.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-12-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
My brother has one. He's got about 20k miles on it. He loves it. He is coming from an F250. No issues at all.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-12-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I have a GMC w/ 40,000 love it and it tows the house
To bad B.O. bought the co.
Upload
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-12-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Wow! That is a house!
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-12-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
I've got 35k on mine, no issues. Love it. Only downside is the exhaust filter kills the mileage.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-12-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Hey Tall! I've got an 07.5 Duramax and the only regret I have is not getting leather! I have an LT1 optioned truck and it has this microfiber cloth that collects every piece of lint and hair that it comes into contact with.

I have just over 28k on mine and it tows the RZ2 with ease, gets decent mileage, 10-12 towing and up to 20 mpg on the highway unloaded. You can post up on TO too, Tanner has a pretty tricked out one with twin turbo's and stuff.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-12-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
Here's a good place to find out answers to some of your questions on the trucks:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-12-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I have 110,000 on my work truck. been a great truck. had to have the exhaust filter changed about 99,000 miles. it cost about $100.00. i also have a 03 for f-350 7.3. it has more cab room than my GM 4 door. the GM dose have a lot more power.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-12-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Tall the 2008 would make you a great truck but if you back up to a 06 or 07 you get the higher HP and don't have all the emission control stuff. The 06 and 07 had about 60 more HP than the 05's. Also you'll love the Allison transmission.
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-12-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
I have a 7.3 powerstroke work truck and a 2008 6.4 powerstroke with over 60k miles on it and the new engine is great!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-12-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
damn thats a rig and a half bryan. sicky sick for sure
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-13-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
i have an 07 and its great! not the best as a daily driver but it tows like a champ!

Upload
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-18-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I've been looking for a used one ('08) for a few months.
Most that I found have had 20-40+K. I ended up picking up this one 2 weeks ago in your neck of the woods with only 11K mi.
Black Cherry!
Upload
ps...what happened to the Mastercraft dealer in St George, I couldn't find it?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-18-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
The MC dealer folded a while ago.

It was owned by the Vegas dealership and it just did not produce much. They sold a few boats, but never got the service end off the ground. I heard last weekend that the signs came down off of the Vegas dealership...they might be done as well.

The truck looks sweet! Are you very pleased with it?

(Message edited by talltigeguy on October 18, 2009)
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-19-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
"The truck looks sweet! Are you very pleased with it?"
Yea, luv it but I'm still getting used to it, loud tires.
Bummer about the dealerships going under.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-19-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
I don't know that I would give up a diesel Excursion to get this truck unless you are planning on pulling a 5th wheel or something. Excursions are so big and roomy and they really are perfect for towing a boat and friends to the lake. I looked for diesel Excursions and they were too pricey for the year/mileage so I went to the new truck but since you already have one, honestly I would probably just stick with it.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-19-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
I would keep the Excursion for family trips and drive around town driving with the full bunch of kids and friends.

The truck would be Daddy's toy and would pull the boat when it is less than 7 people.

The 6.0 has actually been a fine motor for me...but as we got 2,000 miles out of warranty she sprung an oil leak. the geniuses at Ford put this particular oil leak spot in a location that the entire engine must be removed to fix it. $2500 is what it will take. As much as I love it, the maintenance is starting to turn me off...even though we will keep it, this might be the beginning of a transition.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-19-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
For now I will clean spots off the driveway and check the oil level on a regular basis.

It can't be all bad to have 2 diesels in the family, can it?
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-20-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
I have a 7.3 PSD and love it but I would not be opposed to going with a Duramax. I used to drive a D-max at work and it seemed to have more power stock than mine does modded out. Never had any problems with it either, towed like a champ.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-20-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
Just replace it with an ESV. Your towing mileage might not be as good but it's got plenty of power for your little boat.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
08 GMC 2500 loaded Crew Cab Duramax. 35,000 miles. Only regret is I didn't buy one a long time ago.
Old     (vlx4me)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-23-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Ive got a 09 GMC Duramax Crew Cab lifted and on 35"s and it pulls great. Night and day difference between pulling with a halfton and even a 3/4 ton gas motor. The Allison trans makes pulling so nice, you just put it in cruise and it uses the trans to regulate speed when going downhill. I got a lot of options I didnt think I wanted but now that I have them it would be hard to go back. Heated seats are great even when the weather is nice, good for the old back!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-23-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
GM will be shutting down the duramax factory for 4-5 months beginning in December. I think that bodes very well for anyone owning a slightly used Duramax truck. At least in the short term.

I am debating whether or not I will pony up the money, or settle for a gas truck and spend 8-9K less. For now I am keeping my eyes open. Will have to see what comes up.

Thanks for all of the thoughts here.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on October 23, 2009)
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
the 8-9K is well worth it IMO. The engine will last far longer than a gasser which will make up for the extra cash.

When I bought mine I was thinking it would be the last truck I buy, now I know it will be.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-23-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
There are some models that have a floor shifter...Is there any disadvantage to that?
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-24-2009, 12:01 AM Reply   
"There are some models that have a floor shifter...Is there any disadvantage to that?"

Depending on how it is configured. Floor shift always rules out the bench seating. You can get bench type seating with a column shift.(In most cases they are not premium trim packages.) But to answer your question, no significant disadvantage.

Keep in mind that with the new EPA regulations on diesel they are not much better in the mileage department than a gasser, if at all. And with the diesel being at a premium of 5-7k more its not cost effective unless you use it to its full capability such as a construction business.
There are some mods you can do to improve this but your warranty WILL be voided.

Sadly, you can use similar comparisons between conventional and hybrid vehicles to todays diesel and gassers. In most cases it doesnt make sense.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-24-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
I'd like to see the duramax in an SUV again. I love the new burbs but don't like the gasser options. Right now only a denali with 6.2 gasser would work or older excursion.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-24-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
One that I am looking at has a floor shifter for the 4WD, but is an automatic and has a bench as well.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Tall, as far as I'm concerned that floor shift for the transfer case is a big plus!
I've had to special order trucks that way, otherwise they just put a pushbutton on the dash...

I would rather not rely on some electronic solenoid/relay to put my truck in lock out low 4x when I needed it most...

(Message edited by rio_sanger on October 24, 2009)
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-25-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
I've had 5 duramax's now and never an issue with the 4*4 button. I'm gonna go knock on wood now!! I had an 08 duramax and currently drive an 09 duramax. Loved them both. The 08 I had modded with 4" turbo back exhaust, juice edge/quadzilla stacked chip. used the edge mainly for attitude monitor(turned it to stage 1) and the quad to bypass engine codes and tuned to stage 2 or 3. I had an electrical issue(buddy tapped power for my train horn in fuse panel under hood in the aux ignition fuse and it shorted the truck out) at the time the truck would just shut down and we didnt' know why. after the 8th trip in, the dealer worked a deal with me to trade it off on my 09. after all this, they found out this little 2 dollar replacement piece where the fuse slide into was the problem. I am leaving my 09 stock and getting used to stock power.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-26-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Oh, and to follow up on the Las Vegas MC dealer's status, I had a friend call to winterize his boat...the message said 'sorry, we are out of business'.

Sounds like Ryan has never kept most of his trucks long enough to find any problems, except for the last problem he described. Sounds like I am not even going to get some Ford guy on here bashing it? Wow!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-27-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
The newer Ford's and Chevy's are both pretty solid trucks, it's hard to knock either of those and IMO you can't go wrong with either of them.