Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-03-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
At the Phoenix boat show yesterday the snow camo covered Epic boat was for sale for $62,500 and they were taking orders for new ones for $65,000. The dealer said the factory was spitting them out and the delivery time wouldn't be long- I thought he mentioned a month or so. It looks like the wait is over. Does anyone have one?
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-03-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
65K!

That's a lot of coin. Thought they were going for the whole fully loaded wake boat for under 50k?
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
yes i thought the whole idea of this boat was to be fully loaded for under $50K..i could have sworn i read that 2-3 times..maybe i was wrong..
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
You guys are correct. This was all before Chris started putting a lot of extras on the boat. I'm sure you can still get the boat close to the 50k mark, but fully loaded with all the bells and whistles will end up costing more.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
kinda like the x-1

the ole bait and switch.....

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on February 03, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
offering an epic for $XXk, then giving you a centurion for $XXk is bait and switch.

disclaimer: before centurion guys get mad at me, i just used centurion for argument purposes. i'm not suggesting that one is better than the other.

(Message edited by dakid on February 03, 2006)
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
The thought though, or at least the impression I got from all the past threads was that regardless of price, you were getting your monies worth?
Nearly every aspect of the Epic was designed and tested with the rider in mind no?

Don't get me wrong, I agree, 65k is a LOT of coin, but don't you pay that and more now for a loaded XStar and a few other models on the market?

Anyone got a Specs list from the boat show?
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-03-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Charging 65K for a boat from a new company without proven track record for warranty issues, customer service, etc. seems like a risky way to build a successful business. I wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on a boat from a company that hasn't proved themselves. Just my take on it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
I'm sure Epic is a SWEET boat but you can start comparing it to the X-Star....especially money wise b/c we all know MC spends a lot of money in marketing and Epic is a new booty trying to prove itself.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Epic has change a lot of things on the 23V since the old threads on Wakeworld. The idea was to put out a boat with a tower, board racks, pp, awesome tunes, and all the ballast you would need for around 50k. Since then Epic has added features like... The Vector Steer system, The side exhaust, 8.1L Volvo, some electrical improvements, a great new tower, a sweet new style of trailer, and some interior tweaks.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
antbug got any pics of the boat with the aformentioned new goodies? i've only seen the camo boat in the beginning when they were testing it..
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Justin ~ the camo boat had most of the upgrades on it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/265975.html

You can see the Vector Steer system, the side exhaust and some interior tweaks in a few pics as well as the new trailer.

Epic will be in my area soon and I will post a bunch of pics for everyone.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
I also believe that is too much money for no track record, man can you think of the warranty issue's popping up right after the company going belly up. Not saying it will go belly up, but from my stand point that is way too much coin for a boat that might not have support down the road.

Think about this you just bought this great new boat then 2 years later you are having issues and the company is out of business, talk about re-sale value, you are now stuck with what could be basically be the 80's version of the yugo!

Now before anybody starts bashing these are just a few things that come to mind, not saying it will happen, and I wish the best for the company because I believe we customers are the ones who benefit from competition, maybe this boat will help the others think outside the box..

..Eric you had the balls to do what most of us only talk about doing, I do wish you and your boat the best of success!

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on February 03, 2006)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
IMO, thats too spendy for a market entering boat.

They should have stuck with $50K loaded for at least the first year. But, maybe they are going to sell as many as they can make either way.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
I side with the proven brands here. Epic maybe the next big thing, and it could be an awesome boat. It certainly looks promising. BUT at that price point, I buy an X2 or VLX.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
A company will go belly up by charging too little as quick as when charging too much. You can't stay in business if you don't make a profit.
From what I've seen most wakeboard boat owners are way to "prima-donna-ish" to want a stripped down boat. Jus look at all the money wasted on useless bling........

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I thought the point of Epic was to appeal to those those core riders and not the super bling party boat crowd.

In Epics defense they are offering alot of great features on the boat and it is a 23 ft. boat with a big block not a 20-21ft x2 or vlx.

(Message edited by jon4pres on February 03, 2006)
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-03-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
I wish they would open it up for free demo rides here in northern calif. If it were the porsche of wakeboard boats then this would be such a good price. Is there really a boat out there that is so far ahead of all the others? I really hope it lives up too the hype. Can a beginner ride behind this boat and feel comfortable with less balast? I think we all want too know these answers. We may have a real winner here..Lets just hope
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
All good points here guys. The dealer we have in Phoenix asked if he could sell the demo boat we lent him for the show because he had a lot of interest in it even before the show. I told him it was alright with me because it would put some $$ in his pocket and we can build another boat for DVS in time for their Orlando film shoot later in March. The base boat will be $59,900. I would love to put out a 50k boat but since this project started prices on materials have just gone through the roof. Resin, engines and components have all seen excessive increases in the past two year. My original 50K idea could easily be accomplished with a 5.7l engine and part pricing from two years ago but that is just not how things have worked out economically. Basically, you get a great boat with all the innovation you would expect for a price that is WELL below market when you compare apples to apples, meaning the Epic 23v come standard with: 8.1l engine - LARGE Ballast with Trimable Shape Plate - Tower with swivle racks - 3 vent heater - PP WakeBoard Pro - Depth Finder - Crazy LED interior lighting - Transom Mounted Boot Luber - and 14 speaker stereo with 2 remotes and 8 speaker transom audio(which replace 8 tower speakers)

The exact specs are like this:

Specs:
Hull length 22 9
Beam 98
Seating 14 people
Approximate Weight 3,000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 55 gallons

Standard Equipment:
Volvo 8.1L V8
Hurth 630A V-Drive Transmission
Fiberglass Composite Liner
Dual Rudder "Vector Steer System"
Resin Infused All Composite Construction
"Drop Zone" Wake Enhancing Hull Technology
Lighting: LED Navigational and Interior
5" Faria Instrumentation
Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro
Stereo System: CD/MP3 Player, 2 Remotes,
6 Speaker Interior, 8 Speaker Transom Audio
Swivel Driver Bucket with Bolster
4,000lbs 3-Tank Ballast System (with Shape Plate)
Heater: Interior with 3 Outlets
Wakeboard Tower with Swivel Board Racks and Mirror
Fiberglass Swim Step
"Tight-Fit" Travel Cover

Options:
Bimini Top
Side Surf Exhaust
I-Pod Dock

Price:
$59,900

Cool Stuff:

4,000lbs 3-Tank Ballast System (with Shape Plate) - Epic is the first to put a ballast system in their boats that actually weighs more than the total weight of their dry boat. This huge ballast gives you the ability to fill up for pro level wakes or run dry for beginner or intermediate riders. You also have the ability to stack one side with ballast for some amazing wake surf. This system works in conjunction with a shape plate that lets you rapidly tweak wake shape while a ride is up and running for infinite adjustability.

"Drop Zone" Wake Enhancing Hull Technology - Besides a HUGE ballast system, every Epic rides on a hull specifically designed for wake sports. Like an airplane wing lifts an aircraft our hull actually drags the boat down into the water and thus displaces more water for a superior wake in both size and shape. This hull provides riders with great wakes through greater displacement and also aids in tracking and handling to give the driver a greater feel of control over the boat for a superior experience for both the rider and driver.

8 Speaker Transom Audio - Epic Boats is the first to offer audio built directly into the transom of their boats. The benefits over traditional tower speakers are loud and clear: these speakers are closer to the rider - they are not as affected by the wind when boat is in motion - more sound is deflected off the water and back to the rider - and most importantly, people in the boat can now talk to each other while the rider enjoys crystal clear, super loud audio while they enjoy a truly Epic ride.

Dual Rudder "Vector Steer System" - This revolutionary and patent pending rudder system fully utilizes prop thrust while traditional rudder systems only utilize half a boat propulsion for handling. These rudders actually vectorize our boats prop thrust much like a Jet Plane vectorizes its jet thrust for maximum maneuverability. With the full utilization of thrust this rudder system gives our boats amazing handling that just has to be seen and felt to believe.

Resin Infused All Composite Construction - This method of fiberglass construction is the same technology that Burt Rutan's Team used in the construction of Space Ship one and their impending Space Vehicles. It gives the boat many times more strength than traditionally constructed boats and more importantly dramatically reduces the overall weight of the boat. Our boats, with an 8.1L engine, weigh only 3000lbs. Compared to other boats in the same size and fitting range weighing in at 4500lbs+. This means a much more nimble boat in the water and big savings at the pump when towing our boats; you can even comfortable tow our boats with a V6 equipped vehicle.

---Basically, I feel we are making a great boat at a great price. Our 21v will come out later this season for those with smaller budgets or garages. But for now we have our initial offering which has performed very well and is built to last. We use the best possible materials in construction for our build(which is performed by a reputable 30 year old manufacturing firm in the Northwest), our components are top notch and each come with their own warranties(like Farias lifetime warranty) and the engine is a Volvo(who is know for reliability and great customer service). I really don't see us as a risky proposition when purchasing a boat. I see us more as an opportunity to step outside conventional boat building practices to experience a better ride, a more comfortable time on the water, an easier to maintain boat and most importantly a great wake :-) But I might just be a bit biased
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Do you dare tell us how much the 21v will be??
Old    akman            02-03-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
By Chris Anthony (cla17) on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 5:32 pm:

There are a lot of great boats out there and I can't speak highly enough about some builders that have really driven wake sports to new heights through their sponsorships of athletes and events. Nevertheless, we believe the 23vs wake, handling, maintainability, comfort, and price will separate us from the traditional builders. And with gas prices getting so high it sounds like people might want to keep some cash in their pockets for gas and look at a fully loaded $50k boat over some others that are in the 80+ range with the same equipment...

You said this 5 months ago not 2 years ago...
Old    akman            02-03-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
All of these are proven boats year in and year out. They are cheaper than the Epic which is a first year production boat.
A few questions if you don't mind.
Trailer, what brand?
Warranty, how many years, what does it cover?
Dealers, where are they?

Price on components have increased the past 2 years?? Nice forecasting....

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-03-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
A lot for a prototype model.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-03-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
i agree its a lot, but i think the argument should be made that if the company is supported through the purchase price....it will add security and stability to questions of warranty, service, and most importantly......the company being around long enough to handle the above mentioned. Right?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
I dont really think you can compare any of those boats to the epic 23v except for the 220 and the 226 but even at that you are getting an 8ltr motor and a pro level sound system(from what I have heard on here) and they are both as expensive as the epic.
Old    akman            02-03-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
And both come with a 5 year front to back warranty backed by a company that has been in business for years...
Proven commodity with a decent re-sale price.

We are talking about a production boat with no mention of warranty coverage, dealer information, trailer information....it's the AFTER sales stuff that consumers want to know about.

For the same money you can get a new boat from a well backed, well established company with a wide dealer base to take care off any warranty issues. Save the money on your own stereo install, put in a decent head unit, some decent cabin speakers and a pair of NVS on the tower, you would save some $$ and your system would probably sound better in the end.

And no I don't have NAUTIQUE goggles on either, if I had to do it over again I would be looking hard at the Supra's and Sangers, dollar for dollar the best bang for your buck going right now hands down.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
GRAMPS,it is only 3 years unless you get the extended warranty but either way,I agree....
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2006, 10:38 PM Reply   
But what is the best bang for the buck in a 23ft model. It seems to me that the epic boat is competitvly priced with other boats of its size.
That being said I think they look like great boats and I love the lines and style but if I would probably not buy a first year model. I think I would let someone else work out the warranty issues.
Cool things that I dont want to pay extra for:
Dual rudders and vector steering - When I wakeboard I go in a strait line.
Resin infused composite construction - I am sure it is a strong boat but I would not pay more for this. No one elses boats are falling apart.

I don't get why so many things are standard and not options.

Why would you not make the audio system, 4k in ballast, and 8.1L options. Maybe it could have a base of closer to 50k if there were less standard features. People would probably add most of them anyways but from a marketing standpoint he could actually advertise a lower base price.

I think the epic is a very cool boat. I would love to have one and wish Chris and everyone else involved with Epic much success.
Old    akman            02-03-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
Big Ed, in 2003 when I bought my Nautique it came with a 5 year front to back warranty/promise at NO EXTRA CHARGE, this was just part of their base program, I also received $1000 back from Correct Craft 1 month after purchase as part of the show. M2O Marine honored boat show pricing thru the month of January, we haggled at the show and 3 weeks later we struck a deal. The warranty can be transferred from one owner to the next if sold within that 5 year period.

I commend Chris for what he is doing but would still like some of the other stuff to be examined and out there for the public to see.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2006, 11:25 PM Reply   
GRAMPS,yeah now that I think about it,you are right,they changed it later.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
For the most part I agree with your points jon.

I dont know how many boats you have seen with a serious amount of weight put in them consistently, but if this "epic" can take 4000lbs (assuming its a legit 4k) and not have a ton of gel coat cracks, that is a huge selling point. The boats I have seen with pro level weight are absolutely thrashed from the stress put on them. Assuming chris worked out the drivetrain and gel coat to withstand that abuse, these bad boys may end up looking a lot better in a few years than most boats do with that amount of weight in them.

The only thing that comes close to the epic in ballast would be a gg supra, and thats only 2000lbs.

I also think the vector steering may not be a selling point to anyone who hasnt driven a slammed boat, but if you can drive dog leg dubs in the delta with 4k of weight no prob, that would be huge.

As far as price is concerned hear is my take on things:

I am not sure what the mark up is on these things, but personally if he is coming out planning on making a profit within 5yrs its gonna be real hard IMHO. From a business strategic standpoint I would be backing hard with serious capital and selling loss leaders (whether per unit boat price or total per sale expenses including services etc.) to pull market share. I would also push a really good service program because the number one scare here is dropping 65k for a boat thats gonna sit all summer do to a service issue. Ultimately if it is as great as the claims are, give us more areas to test drive it. Maybe I have been under a rock, but the nor cal delta and cali area in general seems to be one of the best places to market a boat catering to hard core riders with capital. And what about a demo vid? lets get some footy of someone going big behind this thing.

Anyways, just my .02

Good luck Chris, I hope it works out.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
4000lbs?

I sort of like the fact that a boat like the SAN creates an awesome vert big arse gas savings wake with less than 2000lbs ballast!

F=MA. Mass costs gas.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-04-2006, 12:30 AM Reply   
To ease the start-up/warranty concerns, I wonder what it would take for Epic to purchase a bond or marine insurance policy for the first hundred boats or whatever. Something like if Epic were to fail or be unable to effect repairs, the insurance policy would take over and either repair the boat or salvage it. It would be another (hate to use this word, but...) distraction for Chris taking precious time away from getting this product to a lake near you, but he'd have to sell the boat's durability and design to an insurance company - the insurance dude would then set the policy's price based on his perception of the Epic's quality.

Maybe a pipe dream, and probably not needed, but a setup like this would take a lot of the punch out of the "how good's the warranty when a start-up goes under?" argument/concern.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-04-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
Matt,

Just for the record MB Sports has a ballast system for 2500 lbs. After riding behind an MB at spring ride last year I was also very impressed with their boat and they too put out a competitive product.

from their website:
"While the riders put on their game face, 2,500 pounds of water can be pumped into the Triple Up TM ballast in a matter of seconds,"
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-04-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Some comments in Chris' defense in regards to the escalation of materials. Being in the construction industry you realize how unstable material prices are. Typically when you are bidding or budgeting for a future project you include a projected escalation of materials 3-5% a year or so as a best guess. Right now we are still on a trickle down effect on material prices from the hurricanes/fuel prices. These things affect every product you can think of. Plastics and metals seem to have taken a huge spike. From August to now Chris has added a custom tower, 8.1L engine, and steering system. I saw somewhere that manufacturers were charging up to $9K for the 8.1L upgrade alone. Let's say it's a $5K cost upgrade, he's already up to $55k, add the R&D for vector steer and new tower with added escalation above normal, and $59k doesn't seem like deception on Chris' part. As for the base price of $59k, comparable boats and options would be somewhere around $65-$70 give or take (LSV, X-Star, 226, 220, 24V, etc). Saving $10k seems about right for the risk of getting involved with a startup company.

Most startup companies choose one of two routes: create something new and revolutionary to the industry, or create something that costs less than everyone else. If nothing else Epic looks to have brought some awesome new ideas to the industry. A little added competition isn't a bad thing. I'm pulling for their success so I can see a 21V.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-04-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Very good point Ryan!

That being said,maybe their intro boat should have been the 21',so the starting price didn't have to be 60k.Also a smaller boat is not going to need a 8.1L and in that regards will bring the price way down.60k is just steep IMO for a 1st year boat...not saying it's not worth even more but just a little down the line.
I guess either way you look at it it's difficult b/c people will just say,WOW the EPIC is getting really expensive.Either which way,I wish you luck on you quest to make the best possible wakeboat.....I'm cheering for you.

And 1 more thing......BRING THAT BABY TO THE DELTA ALREADY!

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on February 04, 2006)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-04-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
I believe this is where you can get a lot of advertising.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
i am definately interested in seeing the 21v...i'd like to know what the price on it would be as well...

Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
How about some free pulls the day of the DS2 premier at Woody's. That will get you some air time/advertising.

I hope this boat is successful. There are just so many incredible wake machines out there you'll be competing with. They cost less, have less features and still make people very happy. Would the Epic make me 20% happier because that's what I would have to spend. Good luck Chris I'm definitely open to being impressed by another great boat.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
I went to the Phoenix boat show last night and checked out the epic.Theres going to be an on the water boat show over here March 24th-26th at lake pleasent where they will be giving free pulls behind the boat and let it speak for itself. They will also be pulling the first AWA tournamet over here April 1st at lake pleasent.

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-05-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
What does the new Tower look like??
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Nice cockpit.

Man, that boat has some JLO rear action. I guess thats where the wake comes from. Depth of the hull equates to size of the wake.

Is that a titan tower? It looks rather paltry.

I will be interested in the 21' foot version.

This boat will put pressure on CC/MC/BU to improve their boats.

Speakers on the transom is a neat idea. Yet, I think I would still want speakers on the tower.

(Message edited by greatdane on February 05, 2006)
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
The new tower for the boat will be built by sampson, it will be made of 3"tubing and only for the epic boat. There are 8 5x8 speakers built into the transom. The sweet thing about this boat is the size to weight ratio.22'9" long,98" beam and only weighs 3000lbs due to the Resin Infused All Composite Construction. I also think the Vector Steer System "Duel Rudders" is cool. Cant wait the get a pull behind this thing next month.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the new tower for the Epics. There will be some minor changes made, to make it Epic specific, but I think this is basically it. Don't quote me on it, this is just an educated guess/statement
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-05-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Here are a few additional pictures I grabbed. I was very impressed with the transom speakers. They could be very loud out back and keep the cockpit quiet enough that it didn't bother my bat ears. Also with the transom speakers set at a moderate volume as not to be even loud while standing right next to them I then walked 90 ft away and could still clearly hear the music.

The engine is huge. The transmission, Huge. Gas bill on an 8.1 my guess is huge.

The inside of the boat was layed out nicely although felt narrow. As you can see in Steves picture of the walk through I had to turn a little sideways to get through, and I'm not fat or big boned.

I head a lot of different opinions on the overal shape of the boat. My first impressions from the earlier pictures were that it was pretty ugly, but in person it wasnt that bad. Mainly that flat front nose. I could live with it.

I will be very interested in seeing the wake in person, getting a pull, and driving it.

Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
whoops, I guess I forgot the pic. here is the tower with the bimini.

Tower w/bimini
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
whoops, I guess I forgot the pic. here is the tower with the bimini. I think it will make the boat look so much better with this tower, much improved over the titan of old.

Tower w/bimini
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
dane,

quote:

Speakers on the transom is a neat idea. Yet, I think I would still want speakers on the tower.

having tower speakers kinda suck when you turn it up. it deafens the people in the boat when you turn it up. turn it down, and the rider can't hear the music.

the good thing about the transom speakers is that you can crank it up for your rider to hear, but it's not ear-piercing for the people in the interior.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-05-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
Joe,is there 2 different volume controls??
1 for the boat speakers and 1 for the transom audio?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
i don't think the boat i rode in/behind had 2 separate controls. that's what blew me away. the rider heard the music loud and clear, but the passengers in the boat were still able to have a conversation.
Old    kvanderg            02-05-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
I was interested in buying at $50K... but at $65K... now I'm just interested.

Does anyone know:

1) Has the hull design been finalized?
2) How many trouble free "sacked out" hours have been logged on the finalized hull?

Before some numbskull says it... I know you dont need sacks in the Epic... its just a figure of speech. Slap yoself fool

KV

(Message edited by kvanderg on February 05, 2006)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
Ya, I get the concept (of the transom speakers) and I dig it. But, the boat still wants some good sound. I was on a Toyota at The Wakeboard Camp that had only tower speakers (no other speakers) and the sound was pretty nice in the boat (but not for the rider). I guess, all I am saying is that I think you still want sound in the boat. And, separate volume controls as Ed suggests. Unless, perhaps, the sound from the transom speakers is good enough for inside the boat too. That seems doubtful.

(Message edited by greatdane on February 05, 2006)
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-05-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
GD, there are 6 speakers inside the boat as well. 14 total speakers. Should sound good no matter if you are sitting in the boat or riding behind it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-06-2006, 12:02 AM Reply   
Question???

If there isn't 2 volume controls and you can have a conversation in the boat and hear them while riding then either the boat speakers are not loud enough and need more power or I'm missing something??
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
I appreciate everyones' opinion on this and can certainly feel peoples concerns over the price and company. I think I have addressed the company and warranty stuff: "We use the best possible materials in construction for our build(which is performed by a reputable 30 year old manufacturing firm in the Northwest), our components are top notch and each come with their own warranties(like Farias lifetime warranty) and the engine is a Volvo(who is know for reliability and great customer service). " And the price is just how it has broken out now that we have a production boat finished. Before that I was really just speculating on material costs, labor costs and all those intangibles that rear their ugly head when putting together a product like this. We don't have our warranty info and such finished(reviewed by the lawyers) so I don't want to push any of that info out yet, but I will say that it will exceed the industry standard by quite a bit. We have no reason to not believe in our build processes and the materials and parts we are using for these boats. But in the end it comes down to your dealer and the factory support of that dealer. We are being very choosy about who we want as dealers. We want dealers that supports the sport, support their buyers and are in general "Nice People". It seems simple, right? I know I hated having my boat serviced and being out of commission when I wanted to ride, so I built a boat that is easy to service and easy to maintain. This means simple stuff like: making the ballast pumps accessible, making the engine accessible, getting the steering cable off the keel(if you have ever replaced your own cable, you know why this is really cool), and making the boat easy to clean. This makes life easy on the do-it-yourself owner and the dealer who wants to get service boats back to their customers so the can ride. Anyways, I know there are a lot of questions about Epic, our boats, and what the future holds for us and the industry. I am doing my best to build a great boat which will push the sport and help me and other riders enjoy the their time on the water a bit more. I would say, be a skeptic but don't be close minded about our new boats. Take a look, take a pull, then compare us to the other offerings in terms of performance, maintainability, and price. I think many will be surprised about how well we compare. I'm sure you can see that myself and the Epic Team and all our followers have put A LOT of thought into this boat and brought some pretty cool idea to life here. If you haven't read the back story: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=296 Please do. And I will try to keep the board informed on Epic info and events as they come around...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
I like it.... Can't wait to ride behind it.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-06-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
I like it too but dont want a 23ft boat. Tell us more about the 21v.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
On the pictures from their website, the wake looks like a monster...
One thing though... the website gives an approximate boat weight of 4,300lbs. Then above it is posted that the boat has an approximate weight of 3,000lbs. 1,300lbs seems like a lot to shave off from prototype to production...
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
paragraphs man, paragraphs!!!
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Oscar,
The boat weight on the website was from before they decided to do the 'resin infused' hull, which gives the same strength with drastically reduced weight.

I really can't weight to get a pull behind one of the production boats...in fresh water ;). The prototype in Mission Bay was sweet enough to ride behind, but I want production in Fresh!

Chris, once again man, I wish you guys the best of luck. Call me when you're back in SoCal!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2006, 12:06 AM Reply   
Did it sell? Who bought it?