Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-25-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
So I have two pro80s and two pro60s being pushed by a wetsounds syn2 amp... I bought this amp brand new last spring and it worked perfect all summer. This winter the amp started cutting off when you would turn it up past 19 on the head unit.... all summer it would work no matter how high one turned up the head unit. I took this amp back to the certified audio store where I purchased and they said it tested fine in there store.... Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it to cut off?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-25-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Brandon,

Is it throwing codes? The SYN amps have a built in micro processor that will blink the LED's telling you if it sees a short, repeated short thermal issues, under voltage, over voltage or DC offset. http://www.wetsounds.com/media/products/SYN2/Syn2-4_Manual.pdf

See what is happening when the amp cuts off. It will tell you whats going on, count the blinks on the LED. It will blink one time and pause and then 1,2,3,4,5 times more. Codes are 11,12,13,14,15.

Once you see what code it is doing, then you can see if it truly is the amp or something else. A shorted speaker, cut in the wire shorting out, voltage issue etc..

Give Gyver a call at the office at 877-938-7757 once you count the codes and he can help you trace out the issue.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Are your boat batteries fully charged?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-25-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
ummm...I think this is the first I have ever heard of anyone having problems with a Wetsounds amp....so they are mortal!!!!

The only thing better than a WS amp is WS support. I bet Tim has already sent Gyver a text letting him know that you will be calling.

I'm sure that you will get it fixed quickly.
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-25-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Actually my inclination is a voltage problem or a short somewhere.
Thanks for the blinking code thing I will test this tomorrow to figure out.... and for the record my WS are awesome I would blame user error before WS!!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Brandon,

When they bench-tested the amplifier it was independent of the boat's supply, speakers and wiring. This is a good first step in determining that you probably do not have an amplifier issue.

You can not do meaningful diagnosis until you have first verified that the voltage is good and supply connections are solid. Remember, voltage can test fine with the very low current draw of a meter. And yet a higher current amplifier can expose a bad connection.

Next, by a basic process of elimination you should be able to isolate and confirm each RCA cable and speaker/wire one at a time as either a problem or non-issue.

David
Earmark Marine