Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
For Christmas, my son wants me to build him a slider and get him a helmet. I've been looking into the Protec ones. What is the difference between the wakeboard specific helmets and skateboarding helmets? Do the wakeboard ones have flotation in them or something?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
The wakeboard ones don't soak up water, but I have been using a skateboard one for the last 8 years and haven't had an issue with it.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-28-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
The wake helmets have removable ear pieces as well
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
Not all of the wake helmets have removable ear pieces . . . . I think skateboard helmets have a higher rating for harder impacts but that's not a bad thing
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2000987&cp=2367826.2672646.267 2659&sr=1...check out dick sporting goods.....39.95 for a wake helmet pro tec ace. I bought my helmet from here and love it. Plus it is 39.95. That is the cheapest you will find it anywhere. If the link does not work go to dickssportinggoods.com...and tab under water sports and then select wake. If the item is not available...check often because whenever someone orders it...it disappears from their site but will return in about four days. I think their online warehouse only keeps one in stock at a time. The only color they offer is rubber black....this lid is the one with the headlok system and the ear flaps...so it is the premium helmet despite in the incorrectness in the description. Just an FYI
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-28-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
pro-tec ACE is the way to go.
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-28-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
Ear pads are important! Few guys in our crew blew their ear drums, which would never happen if they was wearing a helmet with ear pads. One of them was so bad it actually needed a surgery. Almost lost his ear. I use Pro-Tec ACE Wake. The helmet does float and does not soak up water. Pro-Tec ACE Water is the same helmet but without the ear pads. Buy the one WITH them. They maybe look lame, but they'll save your ears. You always could remove them if you want to pose.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       11-29-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
pro-tec ace is the choice. the headlock system and the ear pieces are great. i have a ridin buddy that blew out his ear drum because he didnt have his ear pieces in.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-29-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
The helmet @dickssportinggoods.com is the Protec Ace with ear flaps and headlok system. Order it...you will not be disappointed. Especially that price. most places charge almost double.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-29-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
only size is medium? Whats that about on dicks Website?
Old     (wakemman910)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-29-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
you guys should check out Bern helmets they're the way to go check them out http://www.bernunlimited.com
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-29-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
Wake + snow= skate helmet. Is there a helmet for snow and wakeboarding? snow would be a few times a year, wake is every weekend.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-29-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
only a medium on dickssportinggoods site.....weird...the only size they had when I ordered was a large.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
don't be too confident w/ the pro-tec and the ear flaps. the ear flaps on the pro-tec will NOT prevent blown ear drums. a couple friends blew theirs even with the pro-tec w/ the ear flaps on.
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-29-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
Probably there is not 100% protection, but ear pads reduce the risk at least the half. IMHO
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   
i only said what i said because of this comment.

quote:

Few guys in our crew blew their ear drums, which would never happen if they was wearing a helmet with ear pads.

and yeah, there's protection that's way more effective than ear pads. that's ear plugs. they're called doc's proplugs.
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-29-2007, 11:15 PM Reply   
Well, OK, I agree with that
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-30-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
I have ridden ear plugs and now wear a pro-tec with ear protection. The ear plugs affected my sense of balance to the point it made riding really wierd. I have planted the side of my head so hard so many times learning flips and spins w/o huting my ear drums, that I swear by the ear protection. I do agree, blowing an ear drum is still possible, and I have heard stories like Joe is saying, but in most cases, I think they will do the job.