Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-21-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
I'm sure everyone has seen someone forget to put their drain plug in and watch the boat fill up with water? I'm also sure that we have seen someone try to launch their boat without removing the winch strap? What other interesting things have you seen happen at the ramp? I'm sure their are some good stories to tell.... share them with us...
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-21-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
Well, I can be that guy who tells stories about himself. I have 2. The first is with my old boat, a 1984 Century I/O. We bought it on labor day and being in minnesota, we did not have much time left on the water so we were just pulling the boat in and out of the water everytime we use it. I was 16 and had just gotten my license and this was MY first boat. We hadn't had one for a few years and now since I could drive to the cabin myself, I was really excited. So I was all excited to give her a ride and backed my boat down the shore and into the lake. When we got the boat in the water, I put the truck in park and told my buddy to drive away after I pulled the boat off the trailer. When I went to remove the front tow hook I noticed that it was on really tight. Not ever putting a boat in the water without my dad, I didn't think much of it and just let the come along loose to give some slack in the front tow strap. So I do that and the boat shoots striaght up and pulls most of the strap out and I hear a big thud. So, thinking to myself, that was wierd, I unhooked the front strap and hop into the boat. I turn on the engine and threw her in reverse. Nothing, but I pulled the truck back a little. So, i'm thinking, wtf? This boat is stuck or something. So, I hop in the water and see the rear tow straps on. MORON!!! I thought to myself. You would think that someone smart would pulled the boat back out and take them off. No, i decided, just take them off in the water. So I unlatched the first one and it shot off like a rocket. The whole strap came undone and the boat was all cocked on the trailer. So, I just took off the other side and heard another thud. The boat was fine, but becasue I had backed the trialer in so far, the thud I heard was the trailer dropping back into the water. The boat had actually lifted the trialer off of the ground and it was semi- floating under the boat. Moral of this story, take of your darn back straps!!!

Story 2, so I went to put my boat in this year after I had got it ready for the summer and gave it a detail job. Carpets, vinyl, glass, gelcoat, the works. So, I entrusted my buddy to drive the boat to the otherside of the lake to my cabin while i took the trailer back with the truck. So, I send him off normal and drive back. When I get back to my cabin, I see him circling out front of the cabin yelling something at me. We didn't have the dock in yet, so I ran out on my neighbor's dock. He's comming in hot, like real hot with the boat, so I yell at him to throw it in reverse and he does and then a big wave of water slides into the bow. Im like, wtf all pissed off cause i just detailed the whole boat including the carpet, and he says to me the boat is taking on water like a mother F. I said, what did you hit? He said nothing. So the best I could, I opened up the engine compartment and there is the pulg, right on the carpet under the engine compartment. So, I rushed to get the plug in and did and we drove away all nochalant and ran the bilge pump for then next half hour. Moral of this story: Don't be a dumb a$$!!! Put in the F ing plug!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-21-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
here's a pretty scary story.

orwood marina, delta, ca. a big ass 23' boat pulled up to the dock at an angle with a bit of speed. a woman was driving. what must have been her daughter, jumped to the sundeck to keep the boat from hitting the dock. she must have been no older than 8 or 9. at the speed she was going, the little girl would have broken her arm for sure. i was holding some things, so all i could think of was to jump towards the boat, and put my foot out to stop the boat. i did that just before she hit the dock. the little girl ended up hurting her arm, though she said that "it just hurts a little." next thing i know, the husband casually walks down the dock after backing the trailer in, shaking his head, and yells at his wife/girlfriend, "what are you trying to do, break her arm?"

all i could do was walk away.
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-21-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
This was one of many stories I have but I think the best. It was my first trip to Don Pedro we were there for a week, anyway the last day we were there we dropped our friend off so he could get the trailer, he backs it end to the water and his dad begins to load the boat but as we were getting closer he was not slowing down. He used the trailer as a ramp and launched his boat into the back of his van. No joke the boat stopped resting on the back seat that was folded down. Now you would think that he would be pissed oh no he started laughing his son jumped out of the van screaming. Needless to say it made for an interesting ride home.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2004, 7:50 PM Reply   
Mark,

In my early boating years, I had a 1970 Tahiti, ya know the ones that sit real low in the water. Well, I did the same thing, forgot to take off the rear straps. My boat however did not float. Backed it in and it went straight down with the trailer. Luckily did not totally submerge the engine!

My other bonehead story is while pulling out, the I/O boat loading next to me forgot to pull his outdrive up. Started pulling forward and got it jammed in the grooved at the Anderson Lake dock. Couldn't back up, couldn't drive forward, outdrive stuck. It took 5 of us to lift the back of his boat enough to release the outdrive. All done, I hop in my truck to finish pulling out only to realize I did the same thing. Ended up getting the jack out of the my truck and jacking up the back of the trailer in 4 feet of water!
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-21-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
Shawn, ya my buddy left the outdrive down on my I/O cause he really didn't know any better. So, I pulled the boat out of the the sand beach and then as soon as I got to the pavement, I started to hear some metal scrapping. Lets just say I was not happy.
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-21-2004, 10:29 PM Reply   
I have one from a local dealer around the area here. He had just sold a new boat and the guy came and picked it up and told him he was taking it out the next day. The next day he got a call and said it won't come off the trailer. Thinking he forgot the straps or something the dealer went out there.
The straps were all off and the boat wouldn't come off the trailer. So he took it back to the shop. The looked and looked and couldn't find out why the boat wouldn't move. Then they started to go through the interior.
It turns out the guy didn't like where the two batteries were and moved them up under the seat and used lag bolts to bolt them down. Right into the runners on the trailer. Essentially bolting it to the trailer!
I laughed when I heard that!

Jase
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-22-2004, 4:32 AM Reply   
MY best boat ramp story happended 4th of July when everyone was bringing their boats back from drinking and partying while they watched fireworks. Well this little 2 wheel drive F-150 was trying to pull out a 38 foot bayliner, really old and really heavy with a cabin and everything on a tripple axle trailer. Well with all the boats that had been comimng in and out the whole boat ramp was very very slippery so obviously that boat was not coming out. The lil f-150 didnt make it 3 inches before his tires started spining all over the place. So they spent anoher hour trying to stand on the trailer hitch and get weight over the real wheels but to no prevail. So they decide there going to get pulled out!! They wave a guy over in a dodge dakota 4x4 and figure it should pull it right out..... but it didint!! The dakota started spining also within the first few feet. Now remember all these guys were all totally wasted and not thinkng to straight so what they did next was a reflection of them being intoxicated. The tow straps the dodge was using was about 15 feet long so the dakota backed his bumper up to the f-150 and told everyone to stand back. He floored his dakota and before you could blink the dakota was 50 feet from the ramp and its bumper was laying in front of the f-150... eventually they had to put the boat back in the water over nite and probably tried to pull it out again when they were sober... but it made a really good boat ramp story
Old    slukas            10-22-2004, 5:08 AM Reply   
I'm a new boat owner as of last week! Bought a 2 year old Sanger V210 without a scratch on it.
Uhhh...now it has a scratch. Wanted to test drive so went to the NoCalDelta with an experienced boater friend (he did not have time to drive farther to a lake). He takes me to this drainage ditch of a boat launch with the tide out. I'm learning how to back the trailer up-went well. He tells me to back up until the boat floats. It releases and since no one was there he starts to pull it to the side dock and tells me to pull forward. Well..with the depth the rear of the trailer had to go, the rear guide pole on the trailer had submerged and as I pulled out the pole started to scrape and hang the hull.
Thank gosh the boat is beautiful and works well coz I kinda had to buy it at that point! (Or take it back to the guy and say, "Thanks, but no thanks, and by the way there's a big scratch on the hull dude."
I calmed my wife down that this is its christening scratch.
Old    snoobs            10-22-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
We were already in the boat and out in the water filling up the sacks and getting ready for the day. We were watching a guy trying to pull a very large I/O out of a ramp that he shouldn't have been using because it was to steep and even steeper since the river was down. He had an old ugly van that looked like the tires were raw and did not have 4 wheel drive. Don't know if he didn't attach the boat or if the crank/strap broke. Tires spun, boat came off the trailer. Anyways, there ended up being a large I/O on the pavement about half way up the ramp. Motor smacked the pavement. Bunch of guys had to drag the belly of the hull back down the ramp and into the water so they could get it back on the trailer. That lasted quite a while. I was gritting my teeth and could barely watch.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       10-22-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Haha..I like boat ramp stories...Like many people on here, I've been boating since before I could walk so I've racked up a few stories.

Here is one from a few years ago..as best I can remember it....wannahearit?hereitgoes....

The Scene...
We arrived back at the dock after a long day of boating on a busy summer weekend evening only to find about 20 boats floating and waiting for their trailers, 2 or 3 boats blocking the entire dock, and a line of trailers all the way back to the parking lot. Since the dock was blocked by a bunch of people who could not operate a boat and were waiting for their trailer..and boat driver, I dropped my wife off on the bank to go get the truck, and then settled in for a nice long wait.

The setup...
Meanwhile, a truck hauling a HUGE, guessing 30ft long, Fountain or something like it, with barely enough room to swing his trailer, drops his boat in the water. He also, is the only one in his group that drive a boat or trailer. As his boat is setting there blocking a large portion of the ramp, he, to his credit, is trying to hurry up and dock his boat so he can get his rig out of the way. The problem is, those boats with non-drivers are still blocking the ramp. After some verbal exchanges with the dock people he finally says..."Well if you can't move your d@mn boats, could somebody at least pull my rig to the top of the ramp so someone else can use that hole?" One of the docker blockers agrees. Again, I appreciate his attitude..but think..holy cow, we are in for some fun now.

The Action...
Fountain guy motors over and THROWS his keys to this girl....HERE IT COMES I think...but no...She catches the keys calmly hops in this gigantic rig and easily pulls it to the top of the ramp and walks back to give the keys back.

Seing what a nice job she did, the fountain guy says, would you mind just pulling it on up to the parking lot....again, I think...something bad will happen....but no...she says sure..takes off in the rig and comes strolling back down with his keys...but she does mention..the lot was full, so I just parked your rig in the middle of the lot and my driver is here now, so when we leave, just dock your boat and go move your rig.

Wow, I think...all this and nothing crazy...the helpful docker blockers then motor up to the fountain guy to do a "hand to hand" handoff of his truck keys, being extremly careful.....thats when I see both parties suddenly look down...THEY SOMEHOW DROPPED THE KEYS INTO THE LAKE..

Feeling bad for them and relieved that my spidey sense was not off..my wife was there with the trailer and we pulled up to the lot.

The kicker...
As we go past the parking lot, we see this guy's rig...who's truck keys are at the bottom of the lake. His gigantic rig is sitting, locked, no keys, in the middle of the parking lot, blocking at least 10 other rigs.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-22-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
the other day i was sittin at the dock waiting for my ride and this guy pulls up in one of those little blown jet boats and ties up his boat he goes to get the trailer and while he was at his car the outdrive feell off his boat and the boat went under about two feet while still tied to the dock. We went out riding and came back abnout 3 hours laterr and there was a tow truck draggin the boat out of the water.
Old    lunaraven            10-22-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
I was out wakeskating in March of this year, only fishermen at my lake at that time other than me. An old man that was there put too much faith in his E-brake, I jumped through the window and stopped it from rolling away forever but he still soaked the truck.

ooops
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       10-22-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
I was out at the lake and these two guys forgot to hook the winch strap up to their boat and when they pulled the trailer up the boat slid off and bent their outboard motor up. It was pretty funny.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-22-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Here are my 2 favorite from 2004.

I saw an Iroc Z pulling what I would guess was a 20+ foot I/O. The boat and trailer had to be 4000lbs at least when empty. I wish I could have seen him try to pull the boat up the ramp. I assume there may have been some tire spin.

Also a guy who bought a large sailboat and was launching it for the first time. I would guess closer to 30'. Pulled by a minivan. After waiting for 20mins while he was looking at it I went to ask if he needed help, as he was there alone with his elderly wife. He said he couldn't figure out how he was going to get into the boat once he launched it. Of course he was an a-hole and wanted no help. 1 hour later he had the boat in the water. I assume he figured out how to get in.

Both at Ghost Lake, by Calgary

(Message edited by jonm on October 22, 2004)

(Message edited by jonm on October 22, 2004)
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-22-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
Some of my friends and I were just chillin with a few beverages between sets when we see a late '80s Chevy Citation back down the ramp and load up a 21' I/O. Needless to say the Citation was even a 5 speed manual. He smoked his tires through the first 3 gears then stalled it with the whole thing only going 3 feet up the ramp. After 3 or 4 tries he had a friend get in his boat and power the baot foward on the trailer while he smoked his tires and finally got it up the ramp.
Right after the guy who powered the boat out of the water backed a lifted Toyota truck into the water until the lift gate was floating in the water. A kid then drove a jet ski into the bed of the truck (a bit too fast)and ran into the back of the cab and almost through the window. Luck for me I caught it on video so every so often my friends and I can remind ourselves of the challanged people that frequent the river.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-22-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Here is a good one that just happened.

We were out at San V and these guys in a Black X-9 were out on the lake ...... Rollers...... Then we see him chasing........ Boarded the other boat....... Whup down...... Head..... Blood...... Sheriff....... Court date....... Guys r still on lake.......

Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-22-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Two weeks ago, pull up to the dock near the ramp. Park my boat, as we wait for some friends, and notice a truck and trailor sitting on the ramp. We dont think anything of it, becuase thats what you do when you pick a boat up.

After about 20 mins, we relize no one was in the truck. Figured they had problems or something. COme back 3 hrs later, and see a fisherman pulling his boat on the trailor.He gets off the boat, in the truck and leaves.

He had pulled down the ramp, got in his boat and left, leaving his truck and trailor there all day long. I guess he didnt relieze you cant leave your rig on the ramp all day!
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-22-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Here's one similar to ryankid's. After a morning on the lake, we're ready to head to the dock and load up. The dock we launch at has 3 side-by-side ramps. Usually, at least one is open so you can just pull up and go. This time, however, two boats were in the process of getting ready to launch. In the third one, a truck and trailer were parked after launching. So, we waited...and waited. Finally, one ramp opened up and we moved in to drop me off to back the trailer in. All that was accomplished in about 2 minutes. I look over at the truck and trailer that are just sitting there and realize no one is inside the truck, nor anywhere around. I also note that the truck is from Sail and Ski, a Nautique dealer in the area. As we pull my boat out and park to wipe it down, I see a new Nautique heading for the ramp that the truck and trailer are parked in. Turns out the dealer had a prospective customer out on a demo ride and just left his truck right there in the way!!!!!

(Message edited by wakeshoe on October 22, 2004)
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       10-22-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
Few years ago, demoing my boat with my dealer...

A big storm came up while we were getting ready to load up. In the other lane, a teenager took several passes at trying to load up in the wind and rain. He then got a bit excited when the boat turned sideways, he jammed the throttle while only 2ft from the dock edge. Boat runs partway up dock , standing at about a 60 degree angle, throwing kid into back of the boat. Boat then falls to the left, knocking a pontoon boat loose into the middle of the lake. He finally got back to the throttle and was still trying to load when we left.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-22-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
This not a ramp story, however, a dock and boat are included.
I worked at a marina/resort in high school. Manning the fuel dock one day, an 85' ferrocement yacht called ahead for fueling. So this tub arrives with heli pad on the back, hot tub, the works. Upon leaving, the guy throws both screws in full forward as I notice one line still tied to our cleat. Already too late, the boat takes 10' of our dock along for a ride. You would think the cleat would rip out before that much damage but no, we called hazmat out to repair the lines, spill, etc.
Insurance is a good thing!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-23-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
A few years ago, I went to pull my boat out after winter. Being inexperienced I left the drive down during storage. As I pulled out across the 1" v channel the gate rolls on the drive gets hung up on the channel. Couldnt go forward or back. Of course my truck and part of boat are completely blocking the street with at least 6 cars trying to go by while I got the jack out under the trailer. Bad case of HUA that day....
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-23-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
couple years ago I was just getting my boat out of the water. a bunch of guys getting ready to put some 22 foot or so baot in. one guy backing in. friends on the dock. boat already unstrapped. trailer goes crooked backing down. freinds say whoa. drivers hits brakes. boat shoots off trailer, and slides the last 15 feet just about to the water. freinds push boat into water. driver makes a joke. looks like I know what I'm doing this winter! he's probably talking about fixing the boat. I'm thinking some lessons.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       10-24-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   
Well this didnt happen while launching the boat but it happened at the dock at the ramp... My friend was dropping me off at the dock to go home, i had my board and vest in one hand and my towel and bag in the other... I went to hop onto the dock but unfortunately i lost my balance and just about fell into the water!! But instead i fell into the boat! SO EMBARASSING, but i couldnt stop laughing, i had one foot on the dock and one foot in the boat basically straddling the boat and dock at the same time... Im sure everyone who saw me do this didnt forget it for the rest of the day!
Old    bambamski            10-24-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
This year at Buffalo Lake here in Alberta.

The lake was very low all year so I had to launch my boat at a little marina about 10k from where we normally launch by my buddies cabin. Well to get there there's a channel that I have to go through which get's really shallow so my buddy on his Sea Doo has to pull me through it.

Anyways my wife pulls in and his waiting in line with the truck. I wasn't quite ready, draining my fat sacs in the bow, so she lets one guy go in front of her. Then some dip&^& pulls his boat up past everyone into the launch and sits there. My wife starts to back up and all of a sudden this truck pulls up from out of know where and cuts her off. He gets out and starts yelling at her, asking her if she was going to pick up his boat too in a very condesending voice. He says his boat was there first so he gets to pick up first??? To which she replies why would I want to pick up that peice of $$$$. He backs in and starts to load his boat, meantime I'm in the water watching all this. Well he can't load his boat on the trailer, it takes him about 10 minutes. The entire time I kept yelling "Wally do you need some help?" "Hey wally what's wrong".

He finally get's his boat out, my wife backs in, I drive onto the trailer the boat buddy clicks and were out in less than 20 seconds. My wife pulls up beside him as he's still struggling to get his boat on and I flip my ballast switch for the front tank and empty it into his boat.

We have words and I tell him that if he ever talks to my wife like that again I'll kick is sorry Wally ass.

We drive away.

Old    vern            10-24-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Ok... here's three stories for you.

Story 1
We are loading and the boat fills with water. I jump in and fill the plug. Dad laughed.

Story 2
I'm out on the lake on our jetski and a storm blows up. This happens a lot so we get ready to go and I trailer over to meet my dad. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting. Lighting is all around and i'm thinking "ok, what in the @#$% is going on here?" I find someone to hold onto the jetski, go to the top of the ramp. Apparently my dad had started the car, need to get out for something and hit the lock with the keys in the car while it was running. Took 2 sherifs, 2 park rangers, and my dad 2hrs to get it out. Amazingly the storm never hit until we got in the car and started to drive.

Story 3
I'm on lake supperior with a professor. We are docked in Thunderbay, Canada when we see two tuggs pulling a floating dock with a crane on it. It's heading right to the coast gaurd station. Next thing you know we hear "crunch". We look over and there is no more dock for the coast gaurd.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-24-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
Not exactly ramp story, but it does involve launching. Story from one of my mates. He is a big practical joker and so are a number of his mates.

One of his friends had a big pool party at his house many years ago. Many beverages drunk, good time had by all, woke up the next morning to find his boat floating in his pool!

Luckily he saw the funny side of it.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-24-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
James, I would love to see a picture of that! How big was his boat is comparison to the pool?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-25-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
We have a lot of bad luck. 3 stories:

1 - with our old boat (Chaparral 20' I/O), we forgot the plug. We had already launched, then sitting on the dock we realized it was really too low to even move. So we wait for an hour or two til the tide comes up. Realize during this time that the plug is out. Keep hitting the bilge pump. Finally pull out, and then in the middle of the channel, in April, in 40 degree water, my husband strips down to nothing to go in the water to put the plug in. He was so cold. All I had on the boat was some paper towels to dry him off (it's not like we were expecting to go in the water!). Of course no heater or shower on that boat!

2 - Same boat, forgot to pull up the leg one time when pulling off the ramp. A nice 2" chunk of the leg was shaved off. Actually didn't cost that much to fix surprisingly.

3 - Same boat, at the time we had a 1981 Ford F250 relic. At the lake we were at (our first time there), the ramp was not concrete - it was gravel. Tried to pull out, and just spun in the gravel. We didn't have 4 wheel drive. So we sit there trying to figure out what to do. One guy offers to pull us out. We assumed he'd back his truck up, and hook up to our truck, which had our boat & trailer attached. But no, he already had pulled out his boat, so he had his boat & trailer attached. So he backs up, with his trailer attached, and hooks up his trailer to the front of our truck. And he pulls us out - truck attached to boat/trailer, attached to truck, attached to boat/trailer! We kinda felt like tools after that. It wasn't long after that that we decided to trade in the truck for a 4x4!
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-25-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
Hey everyone some pretty good ramp stories.... Keep them coming... As you can see everyone has a story to tell....
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-25-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
Mark, the boat was a 16 foot ski boat (outboard) and the pool was your standard 9 metre inground pool (30 foot). There aren't any photos from what I am told, it took him the best part of a day to get it back out.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-25-2004, 6:18 PM Reply   
That is AWESOME!!!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-25-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
SWEET. How could no one have taken a picture of that!?
Old    latebloomer            10-25-2004, 8:34 PM Reply   
Ramp story, we had a brand new boat in 1969, we were launching it for the first time. My brother and I in the boat as my father backed down the ramp with everything unhooked as per the instructions from an experienced boater friend. half way down the trailer hits a pot hole and the boat slides off the trailer onto the ramp. Fortunatly it had a tilt trailer and we were able to winch the boat back on the trailer.

Story #2 I decided to leave my seadoo speedster in the lake overnight while camping. The bow tied to a tree on shore and an anchor off the back in the lake. About 1:00am a storm rolls in and is washing the boat against the shore, so I decide to take it out. My wife takes the trailer around and I take the boat. She finally gets the trailer backed down the ramp after waking some campers near the ramp who back the trailer for her ( dark and pouring rain, wind and lighting). I drive the boat on the trailer in a 30 mph cross wind and we drive back to our camp site soaked. The next morning we discover I pulled the anchor behind the boat to the trailer and behind the trailer all the way back to the campsite one mile round trip. I told my wife didn't want the wind to blow the boat off the trailer.
Old     (shakes5)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-25-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
Here's one for you..
The girlfreind backs the trailer down the ramp into the water for her boyfreind to load his new Yamaha boat, the small two seater that is jet powered...as the girlfreind stands in the water waiting to attach the winch strap, the boyfreind trys for the 3rd time to load the boat on the trailer but this time he get to within 10ft of the trailer and gives it to much power and over shots the trailer, at which point the girlfreind trys to slow the boat by pushing on the nose, but the boat has to much momentum and knocks the girl backward, as the girls falls to the ramp, the boat which still has momentum going up the ramp, runs over the girls leg and comes to a stop about 5ft up the ramp. The girl broke a leg and got pretty banged up.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-02-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
1. Bambamski- That's hilarious! Especially the emptying the ballast into his boat part.

2. 1988 Mission Bay San Diego. Husband in boat yelling/cursing at wife in truck that she isn't backing the trailer in right while I'm watching/fueling our boat. This goes on for several minutes until Wife gets out of truck, reaches into window, pulls emergency brake release, gives husband the #1 sign and walks off. That's when I learned just how far a boat/trailer will sink into water. True story!

3. I posted this out on another site last week but it seems appropriate here. I call it trailer hitch test.....
Old    byerly137pro            11-02-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
I guess you could say boating saved his life.
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
Hey everyone... thanks for the stories.... I'm sure there are more interesting stories out there to be told... Keep them coming...
Old     (bspurr13)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-08-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Lake Perris, CA, Summer 04 on a crowded weedend day. I watched a brand-new SeaDoo Jet boat pull up to the middle of the VERY crowed ramp, beach the boat on the concrete, and all 10 or so of the passengers pile off the bow and walk up to the parking lot - except for Grandma; she stayed with the boat, holding the bow line while the driver got their vehicle (70s van) and waited in line to bring the trailer down - the hull was grining against the concrete with every roller. Then the numbn*t that was driving the van jack-knifed it at least 1/2 a dozen times trying to get it down the ramp.... whole process must have taken at least 30 min - all of which, their brand-new boat was beached in the middle of the ramp, drifting sideways and blocking almost the enire area between the docks, and grinding on the scored concrete..... Duhhhh.
Old    upupnaway            11-08-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
I was out with my brother and 2 buddies. I dropped Keith at the dock to get the truck. When the truck came, I lined the boat up on the trailer, opened the window to the bow, and jumped off the front to attatch the strap, and winch the boat the rest of the way up.
Our ramp is fairly steep, so I had Lumpy give me a little gas to make the winching easier.
We get it tied down with no sweat.
Lumpy moves over to the passenger seat to get his stuff together, and I tell keith to start pulling out of the water. when the truck gets the boat out of the water, I hear that the motor is still running. I yell to Lumpy, "stop the motor!" lumpy stands up, and reaches for the key.
Keith heard me, slams the breaks on the truck and turns it off at the same time, thinking I was yelling to him. Lumpy, being off balance reaching for the key, gets thrown forward, and gets the top corner of the windsheild rammed between two ribs.
He still bears the scar.