Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-11-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
what grab is it call when your front hand reaches around the back heelside egde of the board, like a nuclear but other hand other side of board?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-11-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
Melon
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-11-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
i dont think so bc melon is inbetween the feet im talking like between binding and tail on the heelside with your front hand,
like front hand reaching across front of body to heelside edge in back of board

(Message edited by prestone on August 11, 2005)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-11-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
In between your legs or around the back?
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
isn't it a meat loaf or something?

i'm probably way off..
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-11-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
seatbelt.
Old    grinch            08-11-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
I think its a palmer
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
It's a melon if you are grabing with your front hand where you would normally grab Nuclear. (Heel edge between the front binding and the nose).
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-12-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
hes doing an opposite nuclear from the sounds of his description... dont know the specific name, or if there is one
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/special/WK/grabindex1.swf
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-12-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
hahahaha

meat loaf

i'm retarded..

i believe it is a roast beef.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tourney/trickdesc.asp?TrickID=38
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-12-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
roast beef is when you reach between your legs and grab at the melon position (between your heels). Just reaching behind and grabing between the heels is Melon. If your hand is grabing ahead of your heals then its Method.

Lances link is a good one.

(Message edited by ccwhite on August 12, 2005)
Old    r_dub            08-12-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
When you grab front hand, heelside between the nose and your front foot,(same area as a nuclear or method) that is a Lien air.
Although I think to do this properly, you are also supposed to bone the back leg and lean over the nose a bit.

I believe a melon is when you grabbing heelside, front hand, between your feet.

(Message edited by r_dub on August 12, 2005)
Old    vcamper            08-12-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
Listen to Thane... Its a seatbelt
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-12-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
word.

...and just because you grab, front hand, hs edge, in front of your front foot, but not on the nose, doesn't mean you're doing a method.

it's a seatbelt.
Old    natxbrotha            08-12-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
thats not a seatbelt grab. a seat belt is when you grab the nose of your board with you back hand. im not exactly sure what this "opposite nuclear grab" would be though.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-12-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
the link that lance put up is not correct. It has the melan and method mixed up.

Seatbelt grab = back hand on the nose.

Nuclear grab = back hand where melan grab would be.

There is not a name for the grab with your front hand on the tail of your board.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
Yeah it ain't no seatbelt. Thane, you stand corrected!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-12-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
Cody - then what is a nuclear?

Sorry Ant, you're wrong.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-12-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
Thane ~ come on bro you should know this stuff

Nuclear
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=33511

All Grabs
http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/grabs.phtml

All Grabs
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=33511
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Ant wins. Don't sweat it Thane, happens to the best of em.
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-12-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
so what have we decided the grab is called where the
lead hand reaches across the body to the heelside edge in between the back binding and tail?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-12-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
According to wakeboarder.com I am wrong.

Ryan - it sounds like we have a new grab on our hands here, maybe we should make up a new name for it.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-12-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   

these both look border line nuclear or seatbelt to me? What would you guys call 'em?
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-12-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
i think the bottom is for sure a seatbelt

the top is..ehh

donno.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-12-2005, 8:09 PM Reply   
The first is Jeff Weatherall doing a Nuclear Grab.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-12-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
sounds right to me..
Old    grinch            08-12-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
if it is a reverse nuclear grab. meaning that your leading hand goes across your body and grabs the hellside edge of your board toward the tail its a palmer grab.
Old    grinch            08-12-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
oops...heelside though hellside sounds cooler
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       08-12-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
Alek youre exactly right, it's nuclear but reverse. On Thanes first pic, if he's riding goofy, it would be the trick Ryan is trying to think of. If he were riding regular then its a nuclear grab. There ya go!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-12-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Palmer grab is a melan grab with a 90 degree turn/twist

Thane ~ 1st one is nuclear. 2nd is border line
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-13-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
I don't know why we're bickering about what kind of grab this is? 90% of us on this board can't even come close to getting this grab anyway. Better yet, let's see a show of hands. How many of you can get this grab?

(Message edited by solo on August 13, 2005)
Old    clubjoeskier            08-13-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
I can, but only on land....On the water I'd call it "end of my runs for the day"
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-13-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
It's a seatbelt. wakeboarders just decided that they could change the names of some grabs around because a front hand tail grab is pretty tough. look up some snowboard sites and find out. look up some snowboard websites if you dont believe me. I'm pretty anal about trick names and I know i'm right so if you don't agree I really don't give a grabbing slightly to the side of the nose or tail still counts as a nose or tail grab(seatbelt/crail) but looks damn lazy. oh ya and imo nuclear is a snowboard only trick on a wakeboard its a crail.
Old    natxbrotha            08-14-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
this is a great picture of a nuclear grab http://www.swamistudios.com/photoshoots/050730%2DTexasWakeboardTour/Finals/slides/IMG_2090a.html
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Well my idea for the grab name should be a "yeah right" or a "anti-nuclear" wadda ya think

(Message edited by prestone on August 14, 2005)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-14-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
proho, go back to the snow covered hills that you came from.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
i'm just trying to educate those who have spent to much time away from the concrete. we should stop creating diviion by doing stinkbug grabs and using imaginary names.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-15-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
crail is toeside edge of board and nuclear is heelside edge... there you go proho you now have been educated, so much for the "I am right you are wrong arguement" huh and if Im not mistaken the crail is originally a skate trick, Im not sure if nuclear could be done on a skateboard??
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-15-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I'm disappointed in myself that I put so much time into this thread. Me and Ant Bug talked this over at the Canyon Lake comp this past weekend, and the consensus was that he was right, but that it was really stupid that we have 2 different names for similar grabs.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-15-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
ya pretty much all legit grabs were made skateboarding. crail is a back hand nosegrab on a skateboard. there is no toe edge in front of the front foot or heel edge in front of the front foot on a skateboard so having crail/nuclear is stupid. just like tindy/tailfish/nelan arent real grabs and slob isnt grabbed in front of your front foot. This is what i go by on my boat and in my pictures, i'm not going to correct other people that are wrong and i'll name grabs the wakeboard way on other people's boats but i figured as long as there was a thread on grab names i might be able to fix some common mistakes made by wakeboarders/snowboarders.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-16-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
See the problem I have with your logic proho is, why limit ourselves? Yeah a skateboarder can't grab crail because there is no space in front of his foot to grab. As we know this is not the case for a wakeboarder, so why not F-ing grab the spot? A crail that is grabbed on the toeside edge glided out looks sick, I could care less what a skateboarder thought. It's only legit if a skater can do it?!?! I've seen some tindy's that are sick and in no way lazy. Anyone who says nuclear/crail are lame and shouldn't be done is stuck in '88 and shouts "skate or die" too frequently. Each trick is how you make it.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
Word!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-16-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
And some division is good. Each sport should grow in it's own way and not be held to a common "core skateboarder" mentality. Diversity makes things more interesting.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Ant...you have your melan and your method mixed up
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
Damien ~ how so? and I never got to thank you for letting me use your boat at the canyon comp to take some pics. So, thank you.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
No Problem anytime...Method is front hand - back of board between the foot and the nose.

Melan is front hand back of board between feet. Opposite of stale fish.

Palmer - Is a tweaked with back leg boned - Method Grab

Just for fun...my wife did a Tai Pan grab at the CLWC contest...who can tell me what it is. And better yet who else can do it?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
I think any grab with your back hand towards the nose should be considered a nuclear grab. In all the magazines, whenever a guy does a batwing, ts backroll, or tantrum with a grab near the nose, they call it a nuclear even if it might be a seatbelt or crail. I have heard of the term seatbelt grab in wakeboarding even if it is a skateboard trick.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-16-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
I can tell you. Can't do it. Your sister in law has done Tai Pan in the past. So has Becky MacKay...Want me to spoil it, or am I not eligible?
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-16-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
i don't really see it as limiting ourselves. It's not nescesary to have three different names for what is essentially the same grab. I also see it as being lazy to grab off to the side of the location, just as lazy as tick-tocking out of a blind landing. I wouldn't grab tindy just as much as i'm not gonna pull a fashion air(unless im just dicking around.) I'm not trying to change anyones way of naming tricks i just figured i'd let people know that they looked like retards coming up with all these new names for an old trick.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
Damien ~ so your saying my profile pic is a Method grab?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
Damien - I'll bite: I believe the Tai Pan grab is when you grab rear hand through your legs to the front edge of the board. Sort of like a Stalefish but grabbing your front edge through your legs. Although I have been known to be wrong, once or twice.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
Ant - I'd say that would be more of a melan than a method. A method is basically a melan, but with the board tweaked out in front of you.

Like Big Heavy here:

(Message edited by wakestar8878 on August 16, 2005)
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Yes Ant
Yes Shawn
No Shawn
That PIC is almost a Palmer Though
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-16-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
method isnt a location it's a tweaked melan. that picture is most definitely a method. ants profile pic is a lazy ass melan grab (no offense.)
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2005, 11:22 PM Reply   
Melon: front hand HS edge between the front and back foot
Method: Front hand HS edge between the front and back foot. the board has to be turned about 90 degrees. ( a method is a fashion air, melon grab and a BS shifty all in one trick) (See shawns pic above)
Palmer: front hand HS edge between the the nose and front foot. back foot boned out and the nose of the board across the body. It looks like a super tweeked method but grabbed in different spot (named after Snowboarder Shaun Palmer)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2005, 12:01 AM Reply   
ya i was told "method air" is a trick utilizing a melan grab, not a grab itself. i used to think method was what you said damien - but i was often corrected, including by darin shapiro.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2005, 12:04 AM Reply   
and how is shawn's pic not a method?? especially if according to the trick tip article on this site http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip003.asp , this is:

method
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2005, 9:18 AM Reply   
The Bottom PIC is definately Method. The PIC above is boarderline...Both are Palmers. If his hand was back on the "R" in Free then it would be Melan.

(Message edited by damienk on August 17, 2005)

(Message edited by damienk on August 17, 2005)
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/special/WK/grabindex1.swf

This post is Correct
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
Off the subject, but what ever happened to Igor. Its like he just fell off the face of the earth. Anyone know.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
so a palmer is a palmer, but a method is also a palmer?

and

quote:

Palmer: front hand HS edge between the the nose and front foot. back foot boned out and the nose of the board across the body. It looks like a super tweeked method but grabbed in different spot (named after Snowboarder Shaun Palmer)

that seems like the exact definition of a method! sheesh.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
lol
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
Palmer = Tweaked and Boned Method Grab
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-17-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
First, I think that Brinks' definition is the closest to my personal defintion of method. Not so sure on the distinction b/w Palmer and Method (appear too similar except where you grab)...check out definitions below.

Second, if tindy is so bad, then why is grabbing "method" b/w your nose and front foot not? One of those great mysteries (and hypocrisies) of the wakeboarding world.

Third, I've heard of Igor's style of method, which is incidentally my personal style favorite, referred to as Grassers before.

Fourth, I think that the method looks better grabbed b/w the feet, but I've also seen some cool looking methods grabbed nosenchaly b/c they can be tweaked more.

Incidentally, here are four definitions from expn.com from snowboarding. Not vouching for their accuracy (by the way I think WBM is not reliable...I've seen them screw too many names up over the years, though getting better):

Melonchollie SNB The front hand reaches behind the front leg and grabs the heel edge in-between the bindings while the front leg is boned

Method SNB The front hand grabs the heel edge, both knees are bent, and the board is pulled up behind the rider. In the halfpipe, the rider's body can become almost parallel with the ground.

Palmer SNB A kind of method where the grab is near the nose, the board is pulled across the front of the body, and the nose is pointed downward. Named after Shaun Palmer.

Grasser SNB A variation on the method air performed with the front hand grabbing the heel edge and twisting the board so it faces down hill. The back leg is also boned out. Named after a group of riders from Grass Valley in CA.

Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
its way better to grab method between your feet is way better than grabbing it towards the nose, some people may not think so, but they're wrong. and the grasser thing is a wakeboard style method. its pretty hard to do a really tweaked shifty without a handle.
wbm screws up so much. they mixed up a nose grab and tail grab in the latest issue.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
you gotta be kidding me damien, those are both method grabs, Igors hand is right near his front foot, not in between his front foot and the nose of the board...
Melan is as stated... a front hand grab between feet heel edge... looks best when you poke front leg out and reach back behind you (how it feels to me) method only looks right when you shift backside towards the boat... once again IMO... palmer... neither of those are palmers
I do agree with proho on the method debate! by the way, have a friend that does ridiculous crail grabs and tai pan... he calls em chicken salad... super lenky nut... dunno how he does it
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-17-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
got to grab between the feet. i know we all grab between the boot and nose/tail sometimes, but it isnt photo worthy. bill mccaffrey was the one to decide this. it just looks clean.