Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-22-2017, 10:07 AM Reply   
I am curious, I want to take a stab again at making my own boards again for fun. I found it very fun and relaxing but I want to try cnc cut where I designed a few on the computer. Anyone tried this before and where did you go?

I have been talking with markofoam and they are great! Coby is awesome but 300$ to have two or three boards shipped to TN is steep I think. Any other suggestions.

I have done 4 by hand, but I find more job in the fiber glassing part then the shaping.

thanks!
Old     (tom351)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-26-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
Check out FoamEZ... Shipping was $165 to ship a 9'-4" longboard from CA to NC. This was a Marko CNC cut EPS longboard blank....and the CNC cut was done at Marko.
Old     (tom351)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-26-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
Also, forgot to add: they told me that adding another blank would not really increase shipping cost- so I would imagine that you could get 2-3 smaller boards shipped for the same or less than my 9'4" board.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-27-2017, 6:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom351 View Post
Also, forgot to add: they told me that adding another blank would not really increase shipping cost- so I would imagine that you could get 2-3 smaller boards shipped for the same or less than my 9'4" board.
i will check that out thanks! wonder why it was so much cheaper!
Old     (tom351)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-27-2017, 9:20 AM Reply   
I think it might be just that FoamEZ sells a lot of individual or small orders of blanks, so they know the best method for shipping those small orders, and maybe Marko is set up for shipping large orders...maybe..
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2017, 12:22 PM Reply   
$300 sounds closer to a total price, not just freight. A big box stuffed with 5-6 blanks will run about $180ish freight, plus the box cost, etc.
Single blanks or 1-3 blanks are often shipped using an express service, like fedex, ups, dhl, which will be higher in cost.

Freight costs do not go up that much with blank numbers; it roughly costs the same to ship 2-3 boxes with 5-6 blanks each as it does to ship 1 box.
The initial freight cost is the biggest hurdle, costs average goes down with larger numbers. I generally get 30-60 blanks at a time. Occasionally, I might send in a order for 5 or 6 specialty blanks. I use to primarily cut my own EPS blanks or source billet cut blanks from other builder on the coast, but EPS billet foam really sucks compared to pressure fused molded blanks. I still always had PU and other blanks shipped in. I started working with Marko in the 90s, being able to select the density I want for various applications is crucial. True customization.

Essentially, it is not economical to ship 1 blank or really even 2-3, not from a board builder stand point. OK for a DIYer, but when it is all said and done you will not be really be saving a great deal of money by building your own board.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-27-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
Nick,

Trust me I know it wont be as cost effective as people think. I just find it very relaxing and stress relieving to build them. Its fun! The one I did my friends love, did it completely from scratch. This time I wanted to try the markofoam and see the difference it is to work with. Trust me I know best bang for buck is the chaos!

Ya I asked for cnc cuts, 4 boards, and they quoted me shipping alone 300 because it is to TN. For that much it isn't worth the stress relief.

Just fun to enjoy your own handy work now and then!

thanks!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2017, 3:13 PM Reply   
Yeah buddy, I know, you know, but you are not the only audience member....

One reason I usually speak in generalities and not specifics.

Well, if you get files together, we can include them on my next order and we can ship from Texas to you. It won't be $300, but probably between $180-200.

Nick