Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
http://www.powerbalance.com/

Anybody using this or something like it? I see them everywhere lately. Just wondering if anyone has any good feedback.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
This type of equipment has been around forever marketed and packaged differently. I think it's more of a placebo effect than anything.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-02-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Go read reviews on Amazon.com and form your own opinion (hint: my opinion was that frequencies embedded in mylar holograms combined with a silicon rubber band cannot improve athletic performance). That said, the placebo effect can be a powerful thing. Any supposed strength/balance demonstration/tests they give are a sham and results easily explained.
Example: "the torsional rotation test" - rotate your torso with an arm extended and make a mental note of roughly how many degrees you got around from the front. Now, put on a powerbalance band (or pick up a magic stapler, or do nothing) and try it again and you'll go further. Turns out if you try stretching certain areas of the body, wait a second and then do it again, you can go further than the first time.
The other demonstrations they give are easily debunked (again back to stretching out an area before adding the powerbalance band and then trying it again...that or strength/balance tests where the 2nd time around when you are wearing the band, you know what to expect and therefore perform better).
I wish they did magically work, but they don't, and these types of products/salespersons have been around since the dawn of humankind.
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-02-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
i wore a phiten necklace for a year or two and never really noticed any effect. i was playing 100 baseball games a year at that point though and i never had shoulder or arm injuries other than normal soreness.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-02-2010, 10:28 PM Reply   
I used to wear one of those Sabona copper bracelets when I played golf back in the late 90's when Justin Leonard (PGA tour player) was rocking one. The only noticeable thing I found was that it turned my arm green.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-03-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Some of the golfers at work have been wearing them for years. I saw the PB on a infomercial the other day and the effect was soooooo over emphasized. I say it's fake. However, there probably is a placebo effect going on for some users. I swear by my rabbits foot.
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-05-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
funny you bring this up. Ive got a few of them cause its my friends college buddy that came up with the idea. They all swear by it and I cant really argue cause every little test they do on me works...