Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    simba            01-15-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
Ive been wakeboarding for less than a year but learning pretty fast I think by pushing myself very hard every weekend.

My friend whos 21 broke his ankle a few weeks ago and is out 10 weeks. No big deal except for the line of work were in which requires us to be on our feet, he cant work for 10 weeks.

I dont know about the rest of you, but I have a family to support and 10 weeks would KILL me with bills. I find myself riding my sky ski more and wake skate fearing injury now from the wakeboard.

How do you guys that have familys or heck even have your own place where you can not afford to take a few months off balance that out? Now when I do wakeboard I stop doing inverts and just do simple stuff although I KNOW i can get hurt on just a wake jump, its not as likley as doing inverts ect. I think my decision is keep the inverts for my sky ski and leave the grabs and spins to the wakeboard.
Old    stormrider            01-15-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
In addition to the work/family considerations, I also still play soccer competitively and realize that a knee or cartilage injury could prevent me from playing at the levels I enjoy.

I also earn a very good living with what is between my ears-- I'm a tax (business and estate planning)lawyer. Hence, the idea of banging my head on the water and concussions is very unattractive.

How do I resolve: I wear a helmet; I wear a knee brace preventitively at times, especially if I plan on trying inverts. I ride CWB absolute, which has a nice center spine for softer landings (less knee stress). I also am methodical about my progression. I do not ride when I'm too tired. I focus on wakeboarding as a lifestyle (my boys ride) and realize at my best even if I had two inverts and a 360 I still suck in the grand scheme of things and just focus on playing it "safer" and having fun-- which isn't to say I'm a bad rider because I can hold my own even against many younger riders.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-15-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
10 weeks is too much time not to ask for a sit down job or just quit and find something else.

Stormrider you got this far why worry about it now? You could slip in the shower, fall out of bed, they're are risk everywhere
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
Get a sit down job. I've limped around the office many days with ice packs strapped to my knees and ankles. Work bought me an Aflac policy so now I get paid when I get hurt! Look into it, it's worth it. It even picks up where disability stops so you get paid.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-15-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
I have had a serious back injury from wakeboarding but luckily I sit in front of a computer all day. There is no way I would have made a good recovery if I had to do alot of walking or any other type of labor. I am lucky enough to have icepacks and electrode (sp?) therapy while I am on the computer. It also helps that I can come to work in boardshorts, sandals and a tee shirt.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-15-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm only 30, but I've got an 80 year old leg thanks to wakeboarding. Do I qualify?

That's really an unfortunate situation for your friend - I hope he can get by.

I've got a nice cushy chair in my office, so it doesn't concern me as much. I would agree that if an injury could impact your ability to provide for you or your family - it just isn't worth it.

I take it easy for the most part on the wakeboard. It isn't about pushing tricks for me anymore and more along the lines of what Steven said - having fun and enjoying the lifestyle.

Now, wakeskating is a different story. You can't possibly get hurt to that degree wakeskating.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-15-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
3 words....good health insurance

don't think the air chair and wakeskate will keep you from getting injured, i broke a femur landing a w2w on a skate the wrong way. i missed a month of work and my ins. co. spent about $30k. it was a freak sort of thing that i'd rather not repeat. i was riding the skate 'cause i had tweaked my knee too....i thought i'd just take it easy.

riding some sort of board on the water behind a moving boat is inherently risky. like j-rod said, if your livelyhood depends on being healthy and you enjoy risky hobbies, you need disabiity insurance or something.

*** i guess i can't say i landed that w2w

(Message edited by salty87 on January 15, 2004)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Tellin ya...Aflac! Get injured and receive a check!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-15-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Damn, Salty. Do you have a femoral rod?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-15-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
I'm still in the recovery process of my lower left leg having both bones broke.It has been 13 months but I think I am going to head back to the gym to try and strenghten everything back up.My 2 favorite hobbies.....WAkeboarding and fighting bulls(rodeo clown).Got my leg stepped on by a bull making a save,Spent 9 days in the hosp. and another 4 months not putting pressure on it.Now I did wakeboard a little last summer but still cant run on it yet,Thats next....I'm craving to go twist some Toro's again.....Someday maybe I'll think about AFLAC....haha
Old    stormrider            01-15-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
j-rod you make a good point.
McFatty: I more cautious when it comes to riding because the risk is higher. It would be funny to achieve a lot of success at high-risk activities, only to break a leg getting out of the car or something. It's like most mountain climbers, hikers, rock climbers and outdoor folk don't get killed on the trail-- they get killed on the road to the trailhead in car wrecks! Man, I need a crystal ball.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-15-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
wakeguru-

yup, femoral rod here....stainless steel
Old    upupnaway            01-15-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
Insurance is the name of the game.
Aside from that diversify your skills. I have been at my job for 9 years, and have skills in many other areas of the company. Should I become injured, there are hundreds of things I could keep busy with. It is a good decision for the employer Use you in alternative post and get some tasks caught up, or suffer an increase in short term disability premiums while you lay on the couch watching Oprah.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-15-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
having been through the whole major injury deal (compound tib/fib, titanium rod) i can certainly say that if i had a family to support, it is not worth it. actually now that the accident has happened (still healing) i will not be pushing it as much wakeboarding. I see myself doing a lot more low impact sports such as barefooting. Thank goodness i got a direct drive as opposed to a V drive. haha
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
I also have a friend that shows a wake to wake on a skate can mess you up big time:
http://www.gotwake.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 85&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

How much is the Aflac a month?
Old    tfdhyprider            01-15-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
wow the older people write really long paragraphs.lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
18 bucks a month. An injury that puts you in ER or a visit to your doctor pays you $75.00 to $150.00. The checks get way bigger when you require overnight stay and surgical procedures. You can add on Aflac options that cover lost wages, and they actually supplement where state disability falls short. This is in addition to your normal health coverage of course. I signed up once I figured out that I would have profited from injuries last year.
Old    simba            01-15-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
I agree with the short/long term disability insurance and I'll get that first chance I can in june when I can renew. I choose the path of the trade field vs college so a desk job isnt an option. Changing careers isnt an optoin since I make very good money for the trade side, more than a lot with the degrees. So desk job isnt an option for me.

I see what your saying about a wakeskate but you know its a lot less likely then wakeboarding. Wakeboarding always has me limping or hurting from something it seems hehe. Sky ski I cant think of anything that can stop me from walking although I have hurt some ribs from that but I can still walk atleast!

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-15-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
so if aflac only available thru your employment? their site seems to say that:

quote:

Become a Policyholder

If you are interested in obtaining AFLAC coverage for you or your family, or are seeking information about AFLAC's policies and services, first ask about it at work. Your human resources manager or payroll office can obtain information that enables your company to make available AFLAC's policies.

im 36 and this year have suffered two different injuries that have kept me off the water for a total of almost 10 weeks (so far - probably still out with a current injury for another 2 weeks), but only one day of work. despite this i have no intention of slowing down or not trying new tricks. in fact if anything my resolve to regain and improve apon my previous level of skill has increased. each set-back makes me more aware of how much i enjoy this sport and how much i enjoy pushing myself to learn.

then again, i'm not married (live with my girlfriend), have no kids, rent an apartment and have a computer-related job i sit in a chair to do - all very deliberate choices specifically so i could live life without worrying if someone would adversly suffer if im temporarily disabled.

i also don't think learning new tricks, trying inverts or "pushing" oneself to advance is any more dangerous than just taking it easy. i think trying new tricks without proper preparation and savvy-ness (like stephen said, don't try them at the end of your run, don't ride when tired or without adequate sleep the night before, etc.), isn't smart, but i think it's just as dangerous to ride comfortably as it is to try new things.

i would bet that the most debilitating injuries are those that occur from either:

1) trying new stuff without adequate prep
2) riding at less than optimum readiness (sleep-deprevation, inebriation, equipment etc.)
3) random unforseen acts

none of which are age-dependent.

btw rod, if you truly mean this...

"I think my decision is keep the inverts for my sky ski and leave the grabs and spins to the wakeboard."

...you're not playing it safe. you can get seriously wrecked on spins.

we would all agree there's no reason for us working folk to be reckless, as we all have to go to work on monday. but i would disagree with what is considered "dangerous" or "reckless." as it's so often pointed out, the most dangerous thing the majority of us do in our lives is drive a car.
Old    simba            01-15-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
not saying spins cant hurt you, heck a ollie can hurt you but everyone including myself seems to get hurt on inverts way more often then spins is why i say that. How many people have you heard of tearing an acl on a tantrum? A lot more than doing 360s I asure you.

How many people have you heard of hurting their ankles on front rolls, scarecrows or any other type of front flip, a lot.

Some tricks seem to be a lot more risky than others although I realize I can get injured on ANY trick I think I will now calm down trying to learn a new invert every month. I do realize I am still at risk but like you said, the most dangerous thing to do is drive a car.

Wakeboarding is just a dangerous sport when it comes to leg injuries. Is there a sport any harder on the knees and ankles? I cant think of any. I love it but I realized I for sure need to tone it down atleast until I get the disablity insurance.

Sky sking is fun though and I love the fact I walk fine with out any limps after doing it hehe.
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-15-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
aflac or anothr sort of disability ins.is what you need. the price of you ins changes on a couple of factors, how soon you want a check, how long you want to be paid and how much you want to be paid.if you get injured most people wait 2-4 weeks to get their 1st check if you want it sooner be prepared. i used to do have aflac now i have a diff type same concept. your sick leave should last you a week or so. and ca. disability is 490 per week. so you figure how much you need in hand per mo and figure worst case scenario, say 6 mo rehab. so i told them 2000 grand after 2 weeks for 6 mos. it cost me 65 a month. but i could wake board with no fear. becase i know if something happened i would have roughly 4000.00 in hand per month to take the sting off of finances. i hope this helps good luck on healing.
i had a partial mcl from tantrums but i got a braced and limped around my job. my new job that wouldnt fly.
Old    bluemalibu            01-15-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Ron, and all the rest who have chimed in here - You are all missing the point. Life is too short! You gotta get out there and grab onto it! I get out there and go as big as I can, as much as I can, just because I still can. Pretty soon I will be stuck sitting in a lazyboy, I don't want to be wishing I had "gone for it" while I still could.
I am 40 now. My next goal is to have a big Raley in my bag of tricks before I'm 41. When I try something new I go big with gusto, I try to protect myself by wearing knee braces and a barefoot wetsuit. These really help alot. Although I did break a few ribs last year trying to do a backroll with a "hanging stall" and came up short. I am sure it would have been really ugly without the added padding of the barefoot wetsuit.
Bottom line is GO FOR IT, GO BIG. As you get older, it doesn't get easier - do it now.

Geoff

(Message edited by BlueMalibu on January 15, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
First ,

spins hurt a lot more then inverts and i feel more knee injuries come from spinning then inverts especially if your comparing them to the basic inverts..

secondly i am with some of you old guys out there,i will be 34 this week and have been boarding since 1998..i have never had a serious injury but as ive gotton older ive have been holding back and slowing down what little progression i had when i started.

i was just talking to friends about how i used to try a lot more new tricks in a set then i do now.if i dont feel "ON" or the condtions ie wake,good driver,less traffic and other stuff arent just right i dont do much more then my normal bag of tricks which are some basic inverts(broll,crow,ts front,elephant),grabs,180s and shiiat like that.i am comfortable throwing those and wont stop but newer next step stuff is another story.i dont spin anymore because of the pain :-)

every now and again whn i feel good about everything i will throw a few new things but i feel over the last year since i started a newer job that had worse insurance and almost no benefits that it has effected my riding as far as pushing myself..i actaually feel like i have stepped back..

saying all this it doesnt bother me not to be the "Guy" on the boat getting all the ups for being the most daring..im still a decent rider and have fun participating..I wont let someone push me into doing something that will get me hurt and then i cant work or board !

i actually am looking to change jobs to get better insurance and will also look into this aflac stuff but then i wont have that excuse anymore ??:-)
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-15-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
Ron, if your main concern is strictly financial, definetly look into the aflac or other disability carriers. You would have the identical problem if you were hurt on the job, as a boarding injury. (workers comp only pays around $450 a week max here in california) I've seen some pretty bad concussions, and head injuries happen to ski skyers. Those guys get some serious air & serious faceplants.

Just have fun and don't try anything your not prepared for.
Old    simba            01-15-2004, 5:21 PM Reply   
you guys brought up some very good points, live life for now for sure. I'll just get the insurance first then back to pushing it :-)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-15-2004, 7:50 PM Reply   
ron, you made some interesting comments in your last post:

"...although I realize I can get injured on ANY trick I think I will now calm down trying to learn a new invert every month"

lol, are you nuts? a new invert every month just going out on weekends? that would fall under the

1) trying new stuff without adequate prep

category!

"Wakeboarding is just a dangerous sport when it comes to leg injuries. Is there a sport any harder on the knees and ankles?"

it's funny, but from my personal perspective i've had more leg injuries from playing ice hockey or skateboarding than wakeboarding. i would never describe wakeboarding as particularly hard on the ankles - even tho friends of mine have hurt their ankles on tantrums. and obviously a few pros have knee braces. but so do pros in every sport - especially football.

overall wakeboarding may be in the upper ranges of dangerous sports being that you are travelling at pretty good clip, but in terms of specific leg injuries i can think of lots of other sports that have high potential for injury to that part of the body (even basketball for turned ankles and knees).

it sounds like you're categorizing based on your subjective experience. i just dislocated a rib on a 3, so to me spins are just as dangerous as any invert. i can/have done backrolls, ts backrolls, hs fronts, and tantrums and haven't been hurt as badly as i was on this last spin.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-15-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
This thread forced me to look at my disability plan offered by my company. It looked fine until it says you don't get paid for 60 days!!! Ouch! I better set some money aside!

Here's my personal experience for the worst falls I've ever had (I have 5 inverts, and a bunch of spins)

1) Switch HS 5
2) Switch ts 3
3) Wrapped TS BS 3, taken too big and too far
4) Learning tantrums

Major injuries can happen taking it easy or just riding normal. Our friend robert broke his tib & fib going out of control on a wake jump.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2004, 5:17 AM Reply   
Well I think if don't have a desk job you had better have some good insurance like has been mentioned above. I'd also like to bring up another point though. Same thing applied when I was playing other sports like football. The times when you get hurt are usually when you don't go all out and go for something. Trying to take it easy could get you hurt too.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2004, 5:39 AM Reply   
Salty - ditto. Double up tantrum in 97' - sorry equipment.

Levi, why'd that guys name have to be Dave? ha
Seriously, that all sounded too familair. I can remember a few guys in my crew turning pale and getting queasy.

Novak, good to hear from you. We need to hook up again in April for the PWT.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2004, 5:45 AM Reply   
David, sounds like a plan.

Also since this is an injury post here's my list.
I tore my acl on a backroll attempt.
Got whiplash on 360 attempts.
Cracked a rib on a failed double up.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-16-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
Hi, my name is Jeff, (audience: "Hi Jeff") and I'm old...

We lemme see, I've torn and ACL (BTW -never had it repaired), MCL, broken a metetarsal bone, bruised ribs, bolwn an eardrum, and smacked the boys down on a regular basis. Yeah, wakeboarding can be harsh, even deadly.

I've seen a quote on here from a lady boarder who said "I'd rather die trying, than spend my life wondering what could have been"

That's it for me! When I'm sitting in that rocking chair, farting dust (if I make it that far), I may look back and have a few regrets in life, but that I didn't go for it when I was wakeboarding will definitely not be one of them.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-16-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Amen
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-16-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Hell yeah.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Ya, I am old. I have like 15 inverts and bunch of spins. Mess up the ankle the season before last and then the knee the next season. No way am I going to slow down and never will. I had a friend who rode with us a few years back. He passed away one day going to work the day after we rode. It just goes to show you that you might not be here the next day. I try to ride likes it my last run every set. Ya some days I feel like chilling and just doing spins and grabs others I feel like going crazy. Ride for your selfs and have fun if your not having fun than why ride.
and ya a good ins policy is a good thing. If I can't make my bills I will just move in with Chad or Paul.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-16-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
15 inverts??? sheesh. can you list those please? i can't even think of doing that many! nice!

jeff - amen. and we'll put that attitude to the test tomorrow!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Christoper here ya go,

1. Back side roll 2. Toe Side roll 3. HS roll to revert 4. TS roll to revert 5. Scarecrow 6. elephant 7. Front side front roll 8. Tantrum 9. Frantrum 10. Raily 11. Kript 12. Hoocie glid 13. Ohh 14. ts raily 15. ts kript

I don't know if railys are inverts if they aren't then I will say 9
I haven't tried the last four in two seasons but the are still there.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-16-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
Don't listen to him. He is loosing his mind in his old age.