Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (mvp1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-19-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Malibu VLX with a power wedge and I wanted get some incite from those of you who have a 05 & 06 on how much extra weight you use and where? Do you use the wedge with the weight or no wedge and weight? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old    buckettim            04-19-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
On my Friends 03 VLX we use the wedge with the MLS front and rear...if we have alot of people in the boat we dont use the wedge...I know some people will use fat sacks instead of the wedge...but i know on the 05-06 hull if you got 3 people with you and just use the MLS and the wedge you will have a nice wake the nice thing about the power wedge you can adjust it to change your wake size...email me more questions i'll give you my friends email he does Tech Support at the Malibu factory.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-19-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Here's how we rock it: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=408
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-19-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
full front, mid and rear MLS
no power wedge down (I prefer it up)
600-650 in each trunk, 400-500 in the nose in lead.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-19-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
Brooke, how does that set-up work? i've never tried that much in the stern, but it seems everytime i go beyond the 60/40 rule, the wake suffers. from what i've seem, the hull really likes bow weight. i run close to 50/50 and i think it keeps more of the boat in the water (adding a lot of size) and really firms up the wake. i'll try more stern weight next time i'm out, but in the past i'd always have to speed up over 22 to keep the lip from curling out.

note: i usually don't use the wedge when i have extra weight in the boat
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-19-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Jeff- we ride at like 24-25 on Brookes boat. the wake is really nice that way, kind of peaky which I prefer. It is a bit of a bitch to get on plain though.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-19-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Considering the stock MLS, Brooke's distribution is close to 50-50. With 1,200 additional in the back and 500 additional to the front...that means 1,600 in the back (2 200 lb. tanks stock) and 1,350 in the front (350 lb. bow tank and 500 lb. locker tank stock). I guess if you consider the engine weight though you are probably a little more back heavy but it should still be really nice.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-19-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
Jarret, I usually count the 500 tank as center ballast, but i guess it is closer to the bow come to think of it. Gig 'em.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-19-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
Brooke-
Have you experienced any problems with the factory rear tanks---assuming you are using bags on top of them. I'd like to plumb in sacs in the rear lockers but am concerned about so much weight on top of them(noting the factory warning stickers).

I currently run full factory ballast, additional 500lbs, sac in the bow, 250 lbs. lead in each locker, and a 750 lbs. sac on the rear seat. We ride @24.2-24.7mph and the wake is great! Usually only 2 of us riding.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-19-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
no, we haven't used it all that long but are just sure that we have the tanks full before I fill the sacks.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
sounds like a nice setup chuck. i'm coming to cali to ride with you guys. the guys at malibu won't really say it's ok to have weight on there but i have heard they indirectly told someone that they know a couple guys can stand on it and it won't hurt anything. i figure that to be about 350 lbs. on each side. i think the warning is just to cover them and because they didn't really test it to see how much they can hold on top before they mess up. keep pumpin' hard.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
mike, i'll tell you the perfect way to set up the new vlx hull with the nicest wake you've ever seen if you tell me how to do those camera/video tricks...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
I rode the 05 wakesetter with stock ballast, wedge and 6 people. One of the nicest wakes ever.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-19-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
leo, i think this thread needs a picture. 5 people (one only weighed like 100 lbs. tops) + wedge + bow and mid-ship MLS (about 800 lbs.) - rear MLS (400 lbs.) due to pump malfunction. not great by any means, but pretty sick for 800 lbs. + people/wedge. when we had 6 people and the rear tanks full earlier in the weekend it was really kicking. i haven't even contemplated buying any sacs yet Upload

(Message edited by JcV on April 19, 2006)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
I always fill all 4 tanks. I have 420 lbs of lead (10 bags). Put 6 bags in the walk-through, and 4 under the rear corner seats. Usually don't use the wedge, except by request only from a couple riders. A couple times I threw a 400 lb sack in each rear locker, and put all the lead in the walk-through. Smokin! Only did it a couple times though. With the stock ballast, and 420 of lead, the wake is really nice.

As far as putting bags over the rear tanks, I have had no problems. When I surf, I put both 400's on one side. Done it a bunch of times with no problem. BTW - makes no difference if the tanks are full or not. They have a vent, so they hold no presure.