Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-12-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
just picked upa 89 mastercraft tristar open bow was wanting to know what your thoughts were on that boat good or bad and aiso how is the wake.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-12-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Congrats - enjoy your new boat. You will need a lot of ballast to make the wakes big. It is a flat, wide boat without tracking fins. Your handling will be different than more modern designs. For wakeboarding a tower will help.

Have fun.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-12-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
boarditup, are you sure this boat does not have tracking fins? Are you aware that Tristars came in a 19 foot as well as a 22 foot. I believe all the 19 footers had tracking fins... At least the one i owned had them. You are correct, they do need some weight to make a big wake but it is very solid and shapes up nice!!! Tristar's are great boats. I did't have any problems with mine in the 4 years i owned it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-12-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
I am not sure of every model, I know that all the ones I've seen did not have fins. A lot of people liked the boat.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-12-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
If your comparing it to I/O's and outboard by design you'll get a better wake. If your comparing it to the new crafted wakeboard boats think of how much money you saved.

As said by Karl and TR you'll need ballast just like on any wakeboard boat but it will take you a long way in your riding skills getting better. Fill up some sacks, get a tower or pylon and enjoy this summer!
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-12-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
I spent a summer behind an 89 closed bow tri star 190 and the wake was tiny. One time we had around 13 people in it and the wake was was still small. So if they are anything alike then don't expect that much. Also why did you buy a boat without riding behind it or anything?

I have been in some i/o's that would smoke some wakes of some inboards I have ridden behind.

(Message edited by mac attack on March 12, 2004)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-13-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
It is a 190 and it does have tracking fins.I will end up getting some fat sacks the people issue won't be hard.The reason for not riding behide the boat was,try to keep this short.New the two previouse owners so I'm the third.The person I bought the boat from bought the original owners other boat when they bought there new one.The deal was just to good to let go.
Old    tball            03-13-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
13 people in a closed bow? Wow! Of all the closed bow boats I've seen, most would be crowded having a teleconference with 13 people.

Lakeside, all boats are awesome! Think about all the poor souls that have rely on the charity of others for a ride! A couple of Fat Sacs in the back and one in the bow will have your wake up. Have a good season with your new ride.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-13-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Come on...13 people in a CLOSED BOW Tristar 190... that boat in an open bow version gets crowded with 7 people!
Old    dream_weaver            03-13-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
I've had my Mastercraft Tristar 190 for 1 year now and absolutely love it. The wake is not the same as a new x-star, but it is still pretty good on my opinion. Congrats, and welcome into the elite club of Mastercraft owners!
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-13-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
Thanks Matt always wanted to be part of the elite mastercraft owners most of my friends have mastercrafts.My first boat was a 84 ski centurion no tower just skied and tried to barefoot.I just like being on the water with lots of sun full icechest of beer and preferrably boat full of women.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-13-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
TR (biz) What are you calling me a liar??
Yes 13 people. I never said it wasn't crowded. There were multiple people on the engine box, multiple people sitting on the sides of the boat, people packed liked sardines in the seats, and some sitting in laps.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2004, 6:14 AM Reply   
I have an '87, and I think the wake is great. They do have a tendency to dip the nose when you turn around to pick up a fallen rider, so that will take some practice. Also, I wouldn't recommend having anyone ride in the open bow for the same reason. But overall it is a great boat. Mine's in my profile.
Old    mb_girl            03-14-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
"Also, I wouldn't recommend having anyone ride in the open bow for the same reason."

Or have people that you don't like ride up there.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-14-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
Jamie, glad to hear you like the boat. I'll have to get a set in behind your boat this summer when we come up. You should come down this year for Midwest Wakefest or BootCamp. I'll be dragging my boat up this year for the 4th so we'll have to get out.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
John,
We WILL be in town this year for the 4th, so we definitely have to hook up. Also, I'd love to come down for one of those events.... keep me posted.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-15-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Robert-
I have a tristar closed bow and the wake definetly isn't tiny as previously stated. You will need a fair amount of weight to get a good wake but when weighted properly the wake is definetly nice. I have a friend who has a Moomba Mob-V that we run 2000 pounds in and he likes my wake as much as his. If you want to drop me a email I can get you info on how to weight it and where to put it. I have had the boat going on 3 seasons and have done a ton of work to it. I know the boat very well so if you have any questions let me know. Check my profile that is wake behind my boat. }

(Message edited by sbt3 on March 15, 2004)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2004, 4:53 AM Reply   
how much weight do you have to produce the wake you have in your profile picture
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-16-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Robert,
That day was a couple of years back. I probably had around 1300 pounds in the rear of the boat and around 180 in the nose. You don't need as much in the nose cause the gas tank is in front. I also had 2-3 people in the boat. I use to ride slower. The wake is pretty big slower. That picture was probably around 21 mph and around 70 feet of rope. I now run around 24-24.5 mph and 80 feet. The wake isn't as big but it is more consistent. Here are a couple of pics at 24 mph with around 1450 in the back and 180 in the nose plus 3 people in the boat. 1 driving and two the the spotters chair from this past season.

Old    mitch            03-16-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
Robert, I had an 89 Tristar openbow and loved it. Tough in the chop, but it had a great wake. We ran 550 in the rear and 250 up front. If I can remember my old p/w, you may be able to see it in the profile.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-18-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
Mitch great looking boat do you still have it.Mine is navy blue and light gray,how many hours do you or did you have on it.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-29-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Robert, Had 980 hours when I sold it 1.5 yrs ago. The blue was Dupont Imron, which held up great for 3+ years.
Old    shiftywakeskate            03-30-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
does a tristar 190 have the same hull as a prostar 190
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-31-2004, 5:58 AM Reply   
No the tristar hull is totally different than the prostar. It is very flat in the back and has a built in teak.