Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-12-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I am on my third one, that’s it, time to build……
This was anchored down to the asphalt, this canopy was 4 months old, my other house I went through 2 other canopy’s living with the east wind, My advise if you live in a windy place don’t buy these things..

Before
Upload

Next
Upload

Next door..
Upload
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-12-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
I would think it would only take you losing one to learn that lesson. But thanks for the heads up!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-12-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
yeah Hu
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-12-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
Maybe if both ends were closed in you wouldn't get the kite effect.

Did you use the auger style anchors?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
Definitely should have both ends either open or closed, but not one open & the other closed.

Also, doesn't look like it's anchored very well. We ran 4"x4" pressure treated lumber around the perimeter, drove 2' rebar stakes thru them into the ground, then 3" screws into the wood. Then ran ropes from the upper framework down into the wood. It put up with 40 - 50 mph gusts without too much problem.

Snow ended up being it's demise though. Just weighs too much.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-12-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
I thought of putting the front on, but didnt do it, just hasnt been windy enough to really do anything, It was just a freak wind show that moring that launched it next door.

these things didnt stand up to the wind very good also, I had two side by side, left over from a party, just havent took them down, there down now though..

Upload
Old    walt            11-12-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Coop knows about the wind.
Old    mendo247            11-12-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
Yes i do! This thread has been cracking me up. I have some good pics i can add when i get home!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-12-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
Man sorry to see that. I have a buddy that put one of those up before and after a big windstorm he found it 2 blocks away. His wasn't anchored properly.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-12-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
It is kind of funny, now that I think about it, it does suck kind of, but time to put the boat in the garage anyway.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       11-12-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
That wind storm was a doozie. I saw 2 porta-potties picked up and thrown 30 ft or better.
I've definitely had my share of problems with those things (covers, not porta-poopers).
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-12-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Maybe its the boat?
Totally playin. (I dont have anything against any boat.)
I have one canopy looking thing anchored down by buckets filled with cement, held up to 30 mph winds fine. They dont get much higher than that...
Old    mendo247            11-12-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Heres my contribution lol. Picked up all eight cement pier blocks and tossed em like feathers. Atleast i got to watch it happen!

Upload
Old    mendo247            11-12-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Few days later i had this built! With 10 huge mobile home anchors sunk in the soil to keep it grounded.

Upload
Old     (ally505)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-13-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
Had my tent do a back flip about this time last year. Funnily enough at 4.30 in the morning, in the driving rain, neither myself or my wife stopped to take a photo of the carnage.....
We were battered by winds for almost 4 months, which even for Scotland, is pretty bad. I now tie the tent to the trailer in 8 places, I've added 2ft stakes in the ground and with this configuration the tesnt stayed place in a storm with gusts over 70mph - it did look like it was about to take off though but it stayed put. I think closing both front and back ends is best, although windage is higher you don't get any lift when the wind gets underneath.

All that said, I'm going to build a timber frame next yr, with galvanised fence posts concreted in.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
I've had mine for two years now. The trick is not to put the sides or the back on them, and to anchor all the legs properly. You basically use the structure as a car port. As long as the wind can pass through there's no issues. We had two huge wind storms last year, and another one yesterday. It's still standing like a champ today.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-13-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
hey Coop,

Can I ask how much you payed for that last one? I'm looking to build next year and I'm out for some ideas. The full garage I have planned right now I'm thinking will be in the $10k range.
Old    mendo247            11-13-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Around $3500 installed, a smaller one would definetly do the trick. but i wanted the xtra length and height incase it turned into an R.V. parking spot someday.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-13-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
I have used the same costco 10x20 that you have shown ruined @ 2 different houses, they are still standing one I built on decking then a retainer, the other raised off the ground and then larger planks for side support(i raised it higher so I wouldn't have to fold the tower down ever time...I built mine on a 16-18 inch u shaped square retainer...bolted and then put another heavy tarp over top and secured the heavy tarp to either the retainer or decking...they have lasted through many wind storms...actually got hit hard with one yesterday...I simply tied support ropes from each top fram brace, and cinched them down to. what ever is in the tent...boat, trailer or vehicle..regardless..they are not the best..and youahve to look out for show load but I have found the additional tarp and extra tie downs make all the difference...doesn't matter how you bolt the tents...the supports are only held to teh tent with a little pin, so you need to add additional rigging...not pimp like a timber frame or coops scookum cover he posted above..but a cheap fix for protecting ur boat plus seem to be working until I can afford a real garage!!!
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-13-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
I meant SNOW load..must be miller time!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what your protecting with a canopy. Just eliminate the structure and build a cover like mine. Mine works on the lift as well as on the trailer and would work easily in the water. All the securing is done on the platform.

It covers everything and the tower provides enough slope so I get no ponding. Its made it through winds from two tropical storms, the shape at the bow keeps it on boat with four attaching straps at the back to pull it tight. I even keep my bimini attached under the cover.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
off topis, but yoru slip is huge! How to you load unload your boat, looks like a pain. I like the cover, btu what was the cost?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Paid 900 to have it custom made. A future replacement should cost less because I will have the old as a pattern.

Loading is easy, I just drive onto the lift and the guides hold the boat perfectly, hit the up switch and step off onto the dock - done. I stop the lift level with the dock for loading so the picture makes it look awkward. The front guides act as a stop and are the key to perfect placement. I can hang two boats comfortably.Upload

(Message edited by srock on November 14, 2007)
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-14-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have the following (14*30*12)which held up great during the 80MPH gusts of the Santa Anna during the firestorm in southern California last month. It is manufactured by Shelter Logic but I purchased mine from Overtons. Total cost with shipping was about $1200. In addition to the achoring kit that came with it. I have the legs of the frame bolted on to 2x12's that are banded down with framing stakes and bailing wire. These things are great! fun to put up, portable an a great low cost solution. Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-14-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have a cover similar to the costco version. In the last house a wind delivered it to the neighbors backyard. My new installation is tied down a bit better. Holes approx 12" deep, (3) pieces of approx 3' rebar hammered into the ground from the center of the hole going out and down at about a 45 degree angle, so the (3) ends of the rebar pieces meet in the approx center of the hole. Makes a type of rebar "root system". Add a bag-o-fence post concrete and set a foundation J-bolt in to the concrete. When the cement set, I bolted a small section of a 4x6 PT board to the J-bolt, then screwed the base of the canopy to the 4x6 boards. 2 winters and no issues.....