Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
OK so Last night out on the lake doing the norm. Sitting in between riders boat off and go to restart and the boat turns over like the battery is dead then starts. Cruise down the lake park to swim then go to start to move to a better spot wont start at all. I wait about 5 minutes starts fine. It seems like right when I turn the boat off then go to restart it has no batt power put when it sits and I start its fine. Whats your guys take on this? I recently wired in a new switch plate for lights, blower, bilge ect and wired it according to the direction which was power to pos on Batt and ground to neg on Batt. Then hooked the power source of acc to the switch power. Thats all. Do I need to do something else or run 2 batts
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
So, no stereo running?

Sounds like you need your alt tested.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Here is one thing to check...I had a similar problem with only one battery tho. I unhook my battery everytime I get off the water cause of a faulty switch, one time out on the river I didn't connect the cables to the batt. tight enough and they lossened causeing the cables to get supper hot! The symptoms where I'd run it for a while turn it off it wouldn't start...I'd let it sit for 5-10 min then would start fine, I finially found that the cables were lose tightened them and waited for them to cool off....problem solved, so I'd check to make sure everything is tight enough.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
If the boat runs when its started your alternator should be fine. But the battery may not be holding a charge.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
running the boat is one thing. charging the batt is another. Remember, the boat starts if it sits for 5 minutes. Not likely from a bad batt.

Dennis, I can agree with that 100%. Towed it about two hours last weekend to a lake we camped on. Boat started up and ran great. Bulled a few riders, killing it in between. I tried to start it up, kinda hesitated, then fired up. I was thinking, not now, on the first day of our trip. So i check the batts and a lead on one of my starting batts had vibrated loose.

Check all the "obvious" stuff. Battery, leads from your alt, ground wires at the block, etc. Usually something really basic.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
nacho, thats exactly whats going on with me. I will check that tonight. I am going to add a second battery soon but just trying to figure where I want to put it
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
I'm on the fence about optimas. i like the versatility to mount them however you want.

Not sure if they're worth it, for several reasons.
1. I've had 3 fail (prolly my fault, more than anything) and none were replaced.
2. I can't combine starting batts w/ accessory batts as a I have 2 6 volt golf cart batts. Different types, my alt would freak out, as i understand it.
3. just not sure if i buy into the hype anymore.

i digress... snippy, let us know how it goes
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
I would definately check to make sure that the alternator is charging properly. Get a multi-meter and measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running at fast idle. If the battery is reasonably charged you should have at least 13.2 volts at the battery. If you don't, then suspect your alternator.

If the alternator is okay then either the starter is going bad, the wiring has a problem or the battery is simply getting old and weak. The symptom doesn't sound right for a weak battery, however. Batteries will recover a bit when left to sit, but when attempting to restart immediatly after shutting down should need any recovery time.

A good test of the battery is to measure the voltage at the battery when the starter is operating. It is normal for the voltage to drop as low as 10 volts. Much below that, however, and the battery is weak. If you don't have a volt meter turn on a light that you can watch while you try to start. A slight dimming is normal, but if the light almost goes out then the battery is toast.

If the battery is okay then check the wiring between starter and battery. Remove the cables at the battery and clean both the terminals on the cables and the battery post. Make sure the cables are tightened down securely.

If that doesn't fix the problem then I would suspect that the starter is going bad. Marine starters are expensive, and I highly recommend that you DON'T use an automotive starter, so my recommendation is to take your existing starter and have it rebuilt. It is okay to have your marine starter rebuilt by an automotive repair shop.

Rod
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
ok so checked it out over the weekend. Last year I had my alternator rebuilt and tested. New Batt last year also. The only thing I could find was were the wire connects to the starter looks like it may have been fixed or something. Has a lot of tape on it. I am going to replace the positive batt cable and see what that does. I went out on Sat and Had the same prob but it started everytime. I had some hesitation but a few times it started fine even in between riders. Do you think it may be a timing issue?