Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
Attention all goofy riders. The perception is that most boats don't build a good goofy wake. I have been told by one boat manufacturer that since their boat won't build a good goofy wake that I should just learn to ride regular. Our Tige 20i throws a great goofy wave.
Goofy riders, what boat do you use and how do you rate the wake? Post pictures if you have them. Give details of how you ballast it.
Tige 20i - 2001 - Goofy side
2001 Tige 20i set up goofy
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
I have just recently started wakesurfing and i have a 2003 mooomba outback. We have stock front and back bags full as well as two 350# bags on the side and 2 people sitting on the back at 9.5mph. looks not nearly as good as yours. Lets hear how you set that up
Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
Actually, most Nautiques make a better wake on the starboard side because of the prop rotation. I put 450# on the starboard side of the engine ('95 Nautique SS V-drive) 450# on the back seat in the corner, and a 750# locker sac on the floor from the driver's seat to the back. It's pretty good, but nothing like your pic Larry, and not nearly as clean. You must have a lot of weight, have you ever taken in a roller while switching riders?
Old    downside_up            07-26-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
We always ride on the starboard side. I can ride just about as well goofy as regular (I wakeboard regular).
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
my boat, 2005 moomba outback, throws a better goofy wake, i ride regular though and when i weight it for riding goofy my boat takes water over the side very easily, i was pulling a goofy rider for the first time the other day and all of a sudden my foot was wet and i had water in the side of the boat and i don't know from where?
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2005, 11:44 PM Reply   
when i was weighted for regular, i pulled someone goofy and it seemed to look cleaner on that side for some reason....but he couldn't really surf so who knows...
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2005, 8:58 AM Reply   
Larry-that wake looks killer! If I was the size of my 21 mo old daughter I could surf a pipe behind a wakeboat.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Right, I ask for ballast details and then I don't list mine!!!
That picture was taken with 1000 lbs. behind the driver, 800 lbs. in place of the back seat, 300 lbs. in the front walkway, a 210 lb. driver, and a 175 lb. passenger behind the driver. The curl is 11' aft of the transom. While we certainly can take on water, by observing the boat handling warnings we list at www.HowToWakeSurf.com, we never take on any significant water. This wave also has a decent table on top where we can surf as well. We use 3 pumps for filling and draining sacs. We recently started using the Tsunami pumps and they are clearly SUPERIOR to any other pump we have ever used.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
The prevailing "knowledge" is that Nautiques are the best at goofy waves because of the prop rotation. Since our Tige throws such a good goofy wave, I have felt that prop rotation was just A factor, not THE factor. So far, this discussion has mentioned a Moomba and a ProStar as having good goofy wakes.
One post above mentions water coming into the boat even though he wasn't aware of taking on water. If your boat's rub rail is underwater and the manufacturer didn't adequately seal the underlying seam, water can come in there. If that is the case, the carpet high up under the gunwale should be wet.
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Tige 21I and riders have commented to me that the goofy side wake is much cleaner than the regular side. No matter what we've done, that has been the case. While wondering why that is, the prop rotation makes sense. Whether it's 100% true or not, I'll use it to make my riders happy.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-29-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
I've got a 2004 Centurion T5 with a fat seat (600lbs) driver's side sac filled (another 600#), and 240lbs in the bow and I ride goofy footed. I've found with a slow right hand turn the wave is actually better on the "goofy" side. I'll take pix this weekend.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-29-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
my Tige 21V throws a great wave on either side. I think it may have something to do with the width of the hull too.
Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
i've got a Mobius XLV, and we pretty much only surf the starboard side. the shape seems to change a little each time we go with different sized & amount of people, but is consistantly large and clean once dialed in. 350# in the right rear, 600 # front, and a 700# across the rear w/ the stadium seating set up.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-30-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
I have an 05 malibu vlx and actually get a better wake on the goofy side than on the regular side. Same held true with my 04 vlx.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
If you couldn't tell by my name I have a 99' xstar and surf it goofy all the time. I put a 350 bag in the back as well as behind the driver. I'll put a couple people sitting on the engine cover and whoever I can find on the right side somewhere. I find that my goofy wake is a lot cleaner with a curl than the reg side.

Jethro, let's hear more about that 21 year old daughter. jokes.