Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Got a problem with the tower speakers on the boat. Long story short, all 4 of the Dbot5 Jetpack 8" speakers were replaced under warranty. Got the new speakers up & now we have no mids or bass, all highs. I was told there was a crossover problem with the old speakers. The new ones are in the same cans, but apparently have a different crossover.

I assume this is an amp adjustment of some kind. The amp is a Kicker KX550.2. I've been going thru the manual downloaded from Kicker's site & haven't found anything. I talked to Stereo King in Portland, who built the system, and they suggested bringing the boat in. Also talked to Jamie at Spokane Audio/Video, same suggestion. But the weather around here is finally descent & we have the boat on the lake, being used as much as possible.

So any ideas as to what adjustments can be made? If not, I'll be bringing it in when it rains.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-18-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
My kicker amps all have a switch for the crossover. It's either High-pass, low-pass, or all (meaning no crossover). Could yours be set to high-pass? If so, it is probably ok, but you will want to turn the frequency dial pretty low to allow some bass/mid to go through. That's how I run mine.

You could try turning the crossover off totally to troubleshoot.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Hey, I appreciate you jumping in on this. Since I'm at work right now, I have more time than sense so I'm just hoping to clarify what your saying.

On page 9 of this manual, it says the following:
CROSSOVER SWITCH

The switch located on the end panel next to the RCA jacks is for setting the internal crossover. In the OFF position the amplifier passes a full range signal to the speakers. Use the LO position when connected to a subwoofer. The HI position should be selected when connected to any speakers which you do not want to receive sub-bass information.

So your suggesting I try the OFF position or the HI position & turn down the gain on the Crossover Control?

Thanks again.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-18-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Pretty much, though I don't think it's called "gain" on the crossover control, it is a frequency cutoff. Say you set it to high-pass, and the frequency cutoff at 100, It will only play sound above 100. (just an example). This just lets you cut out the really low bass that the tower speakers don't handle as well.

Pretty much that's what you quoted from the manual. Give it a look tonight.
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
If they worked fine before and you did nothing but replace speakers. Then make sure you dont have them wired out of phase. Positive and negative backwards it will take all the bass out of the speakers.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
I read that same thing in the troubleshooting section of the Kicker manual. But I didn't change the the speaker connectors at all. Just unplugged one set, and plugged in a new set.

Can I just measure which is which or do I need to trace the wires?
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
You can go to your tower speaker amp an unplug the tower speakers. Then you well need a 9v battery to test polarity. Touch the pos speaker wire to pos battery and the neg speaker wire to neg battery. When you do this it will pop the speaker in or out you want it to be out. Just touch it don’t hold it. If that does not work and what was stated in the other post doesn’t work take it in. The only thing a