Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-04-2014, 3:07 PM Reply   
Over the holidays I was talking to some family members about the most impressive things that happened in sports in 2013 and I said I thought Nyad's swim was the clear winner and they said it was a hoax. So since then I've done a little research and I gotta say what I learned makes me very skeptical. This link to a thread in the marathon swimmer's forum is super long - over 800 posts - but these people (well, a good percentage of them) really know what they're talking about (kinda like the people here with respect to wakeboarding) and for the most part it looks like they don't believe her. Basically, I think it boils down to (1) she didn't have any independent observers; (2) she hasn't produced the data from the observer's logs that she said she would produce when questioned about the legitimacy of her swim; (3) there is a significant increase in her speed for about a 7 hour stretch in the middle of the night; (4) there doesn't seem to be any full length video of the swim; and (5) she doesn't have the best track record with respect to transparency regarding her past swims. Also, the fact that one of the guys on her team that swore the swim was done honestly was recently arrested for smuggling 600 plus pounds of cocaine into Florida doesn't help either. I was just curious whether any of you knew about the "hoax" theory and whether you think she did or did not really do the swim.

http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/di...-diana-nyad/p1
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-05-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Conspiracy??? Nope I had not heard that anyone was questioning her swim. But there is no shortage of people that would love to sit behind a computer and raise questions and doubt. Example
Here on wake world threads cans get 3-4 pages long arguing about this wake Vs the next so it dosent surprise me that a 800 page long post on the legitimacy of her swim.

But it also would not surprise me that someone could or would cheat. (Remember the dentist/wanna be pro water ski'r) that faked his world record slalom via bouye's that moved in and out via a remote control system.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-05-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
I totally get what you're saying about keyboard cowboys, but I think some of the people who are questioning the swim are among the most accomplished marathon swimmers in the world. It would be like if a pro wakeboarder claimed to land the first 1440, promised to show the video at wake awards, failed to show the video at wake awards, and then was doubted by all the other riders at wake awards.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-05-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
This poses the question:
Why would one give a damn?
Old    bigdtx            01-05-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Haters gonna hate...
Old     (TerryR)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-09-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
So, were they really smuggling cocaine? Hiding in plain sight.