Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-03-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
well here go's looking for input on a bimini I bought from Skylon needless to say it doesn't work well.Heres a few photos of what I wanted it to look like after the install fully self supporting no landyard straps (not what I got) feel free to enlighten me with reasons to why yours stinks if you have a bimini without straps. while i can still return this one before I get the portaband out I know I can make it fit but do I want too.

JUpload
Upload

this is the tower I have thats why I choose these photos. all input welcome
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
I'm confused - Your Skylon Bimini has the lanyard straps, and you wanted a Tower Mounted Bimini?

I'm interested in what you end up with. I have a Skylon tower I need a bimini for and have better things to spend $700 on.

Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-03-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
me to thats why i didnt nor would I spend 700 dollars for it but then again I have a bald head that needs no blisters and while I'm installing everything else on that tower I thought it a good idea. that way while i'm damaging my ears I can protect my bald head.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
I have the exact same tower and the stock bimini for the boat. We took the fabric off the tubing and cut 24" from the center of both the fabric (took it to a local seamstress) and tubing. We recconnected the tubing with the support poles of an old tent, screwed them in place and wrapped with duct tape. Then mounted the mounting brakets on the base of the tower and the bimini fits perfect. If you have your stock bimini I'd give it a try
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-07-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
biker jim do you have a pic of what your bimini looks like so we can see what we are working with???

I purchased a bimini from Overtons for $220, cut a few inches out of the aluminum poles where they join in the center, riveted them back together and installed the bimini to the tower. It fits inside the tower like the pictures you posted. I did not have to get the fabric cut and resewn. If you are only decreasing the width a little you should be alright. I believe i only took 4" or so out of my width. I do have straps.... i have researched going to a direct mount system and the retrofit would be around $100-$150 depending on parts/pieces (including fancy quick release bimini hinges). If you modified with parts that are in the first picture you could get away with $50-$70.

You would then have $300 for other boat things.

(Message edited by biz on April 07, 2006)
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-07-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Ok heres a few pics at first it looks like its a perfect fit but when you try to stretch the fabric by pulling on the straps the top is not only loose but it hits the speakers I have the entire bimini loose and tried to push \pull in every direction to tighten it up. (not working out)
Now that that angle is a no go, it seems that if I shorten the outside to increase the width and gain the height I want it would give me the vertical adjustment but the slop in the canvas would get worse and as you can see the rear clamp are all the way down to the welds I did purchase four extra billet clamps to match these so I can install fixed support arms front and back but the frame has not allowed me to get that far. J
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-07-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
It looks like there is a severe inward angle on the bimini leg in the second picture! This would cause slack. Is the width correct for the mounting? Do you have a pic of the tower and bimini from the back. My bimini is a VERY tight fit between the tower legs (port to startboard) i actually have to twist it ever so slightly to depoly.

one other thing if you care to do this... the front strap can be attached to the front tower leg.. Or you could possibly use one more of the billet clamps and use this to mount (if the leg is close enough) Upload also check out this quick release
Upload

(Message edited by biz on April 07, 2006)
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have the top off right now I was doing some other things cutting and drilling I really need to get this thing ready for some hard wiring. I did cut 4" off the the straight tube and turned it 180º so the bent tube is in the back and it seems to fit under speakers by about 1" but you know i really don't think this is going to get completely tight and in 100º weather will most likely loosen it up, I'm going to take it to an upholstery shop monday and ask them how much to make it right. But I think you hat the nail on the head I think the frame is to narrow at the top i'll post a pic this weekend after I get done with the hole saw.
Thanks for your input J
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
J, in the 2nd of the 3 photos you posted of your bimini, it shows an aluminum or stainless bracket. It looks like an adjustable bracket. Where did you get that bracket?
}
I have a Pro-Flight tower bimini w/ no straps. It was hard to get it adjusted, and it is a hassle to try to take down. I just leave it up most of the time. I had to end up taking some length off of the forward support arms. Mine attaches to the tower with some hard plastic mounting plates screwed to the tower.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-11-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
I have a bimini that mounts to the inside of the windshield frame with the quick release brackets.
It has 3 legs, no straps. Best bimini I've ever had, bar none. Right from Mastercraft as an option, maybe you can find the same aftermarket.
I could picture it fitting on almost any boat, depending on measurements. All stainless, no plastic with adjustable legs (fore and aft).

What boat do you have?
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-11-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
J,
Where did you get the billet clamps? I am trying to find some so I can connect my bimini to my tower instead of the windshield sides.
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-11-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
there ya go let me know if you want anything else
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-11-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
I have an 04 XTI Malibu