Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
I have an Audiobahn 4004T amp, I know Audiobahn doesnt make the best stuff but ive allready got the amp so may as well use it. Ive got 4 Boston Acoustic 6X9's that are 65 watts rms ea. and 2 Kicker KS 60's (6 1/2's) that are also 65 watts rms ea. The amp is 50X4 rms @ 4ohms and 100X4 @ 2ohms. Should I run the two kickers off two channels for 50X2 @ 4ohms and the Bostons off the other two channels in paralell for 100X2 at 2ohms giving ea speaker 50 watts? Or would I be better off running one channel to each 6X9 and the kickers off my HU? My HU is a Sony CDX F7715, it has 23.2rmsX4. Another amp is not an option, im running a mono amp to my Kicker L5 and a two channel amp for my tower so im allready going to be running 3 amps. Oh and this is a closed bow boat, so these 6 speaker will all be in the cabin aria. Thanks!!
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-14-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
all spks of the amp. That way you can cross them all over where they sound best and let the sub pick up the rest.
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-15-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
I'm no expert but I'd try several combinations and see what sounds best to you. Switching the speaker wires around to different combinations should be fast.
The amp may put out slightly more distortion and run hotter at 2ohm than 4ohm.

With four 6x9's at 4ohm and two 6.5's off HU, only the 6x9's will be x'd-over, but the 6.5's won't be receiving much power and may not distort, and the amp will run cooler.

With the 6x9's in parallel on the rear channels and the 6.5's on the front channels, all 6 spks are getting 50Wrms instead of just 4 spks, and you can crossover the 6x9's slightly lower than the 6.5's so they put out more mids. You might get more SPL out of this configuration. But you might notice more distortion and your amp may run hot if driven hard.

I would also try mixing one 6x9 with one 6.5 on the rear channels and running the other two 6x9's on the front channels and play with the crossovers. You never know till you try.

Also try just running 4 speakers instead of 6. Try just four 6x9's, and then try running two 6x9's on the rear channels and two 6.5's on the front channels with the right crossover settings. That may produce the least distortion of all configurations and sound better in the end.

But like Chris said, definitely set the crossovers for all amp channels appropriately so the speakers don't distort from too much bass/midbass. Come back and tell us what configuration you finally decide on. I'd like to know what ends up working best for you.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-15-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks alot for the advice!! My HU has hi/low crossover built in? It also has 2 sets of 4v preouts and Sub preout, so I have some flexebillity there dont I? Id really like to run the amp at 4 ohms to keep it cooler if possible but trying differant combos is deffinatley something i'll do. Im deffinately more concerned with SPL than SQ being its in a boat and so open im not sure i'll notice the differance with a little distortion from running at 2 ohms? Mabye I dont even need the 6.5's.