Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-05-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
Lots of named boats out there. As a coastal boater, we've always had names on our boats. Now that I am a lake boater, I still a lot, but never on wake boats.

So, why don't wake boat owners name their boats?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-05-2012, 6:39 PM Reply   
Oh i'm sure everybody names there boats! But next to nobody actually tramp stamps there boat with it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-05-2012, 6:42 PM Reply   
Dont do it, just dont do it!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       01-05-2012, 7:01 PM Reply   
you dont name boats under 30 feet.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-05-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
I named my boat "Nautique". Luckily the sticker was already there when I bought it! I agree with Sparky, don't do it unless you enjoy being laughed at.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-05-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
Never did get the why of it? You don't emblazen a name all over your car (unless you live in hazard county) so why the need to call it something other than a boat or brand name?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
"sausage-setter" is my favorite.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-05-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
My boats have always had names. They've never been written on the boat, but they've been named.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-05-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
Never named a boat that ends up on a trailer at the day. Had several small racing sailboats growing up and we never named those. My houseboat has never been named as far as I can tell but it will be after it's next haulout. Planning to call her Pura Vida. Fixing up an late 60's DD ski boat and under the 7 layers of paint the original gelcoat is silver metal flake. For a brief second I contemplated a tribute to James Dean's Porsche, naming it Little Bastard and throwing the number 130 on it... I think I've gotten past that idea.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2012, 4:43 AM Reply   
You shouldnt put a name on any boat under 30' unless its made out of wood.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-06-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
If you want to name your boat, then do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-06-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
If you want to name your boat, then do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
+1

wasn't there a post here a while back about what makes a "wally" on the water? People will always judge, that's a constant. If it makes you happy, do it. One of the nice things about getting older is that you really start caring less and less about what people think...
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-06-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
My boat came from the Skiers Choice factory with it's name ready to go

I display it with pride!

Actually - the entire name of my boat is "Moomba Martha The Magnificent", but I guess they couldn't get all that on one sticker
Attached Images

Last edited by ed_g; 01-06-2012 at 9:41 AM. Reason: n/a
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-06-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_g View Post
My boat came from the Skiers Choice factory with it's name ready to go

I display it with pride!

Actually - the entire name of my boat is "Moomba Martha The Magnificent", but I guess they couldn't get all that on one sticker

LMAO!!! Given this definition of what "Moomba" means, that is funny!

from snopes...:

The truth is that the word means something like "Up your bum." "Moom" (or "mum" as it is usually rendered) means buttocks or anus in several Victorian Koori languages, and the suffix "-ba" can mean at, in or on.

(no offense, Martha!)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-06-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
what is truly funny is that, almost like clockwork, someone posts this every two years... as if they believe they are the ones to originally discover it.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
Yes, never name a boat that fits on a trailer.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-06-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_g View Post
what is truly funny is that, almost like clockwork, someone posts this every two years... as if they believe they are the ones to originally discover it.
Who ever said they originally discovered it? I only posted the def for those who hadn't seen it. You've got to admit...putting a woman's name after it makes it Comedy Gold!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-06-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
If you dont mind looking like a tool and being the laughing stock on the water then name your wakeboat with pride!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
Don't name your boat. It's bad luck because it's too small and it's just lame on a wake boat. The decals are always ugly font, don't go with the graphics or match the color scheme at all, and always are something that makes the owner look like a doofus.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-06-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
"Who ever said they originally discovered it? I only posted the def for those who hadn't seen it"

Yea, I know. Just funny how it always re-appears right on schedule.

and we must also mention that the word "Moomba" is a festival held annually in Melbourne since 1954, named in the belief that moomba was an Aboriginal word meaning "Let's get together and have fun"
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-06-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
That one was pretty funny
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
funniest one ive seen is “Chi Town Hustler” i couldn’t stop laughing! it was one of those daycruisers with purple and red stripes. I call mine “Blaze One"
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
‘not actually stickered on though. i nickname every vehicle i own.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-06-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
great responses! No idea I'd I'll end up naming it or not... the name would have to be really good!
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-06-2012, 9:37 PM Reply   
There was a wakeboat on one of the lakes I used to ride, it had 10 tower speakers, and there was a sticker on the back that read "Nice Rack".
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
I thought about "junk n d bunk", but couldn't pull myself to name my 21' boat as I am a" wally".
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2012, 5:14 AM Reply   
My boats name is ''The Nauti'' but only its formal name is on the boat'' Nautique''.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-07-2012, 5:37 AM Reply   
My fishing rig from 07
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-07-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
I wouldn't name a 23' boat. Only large boats or ships get named, or classic wood boats.
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-07-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Mines bigger
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
If you dont mind looking like a tool and being the laughing stock on the water then name your wakeboat with pride!
In a world where we deal with idiots who almost run over boarders/skiers in tow, jet ski hijynx, power turns, tubers who kill every ounce of flat water, people who run into our boats at the dock, etc, I cannot believe the amount of negative comments like the one above; all regarding some guy putting a name on his boat. Uptight crowd apparently...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
I named my boat "Liquid Courage" but then again I'm a total douche bag tool.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
In a world where we deal with idiots who almost run over boarders/skiers in tow, jet ski hijynx, power turns, tubers who kill every ounce of flat water, people who run into our boats at the dock, etc, I cannot believe the amount of negative comments like the one above; all regarding some guy putting a name on his boat. Uptight crowd apparently...
Very uptight crowd. Oh well, I already own a bright yellow boat. Tool status achieved.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-08-2012, 5:35 AM Reply   
If ya want to name your boat then do so.It's your boat.Stop worrying about what other people think.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-08-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Guess I'm a wally.
But I could care less what others think.
Attached Images

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-08-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
"Sausage Setter," I just just laughed aloud when I read that. I completely forgot of that thread with the photoshopped David Hasselhoff in it. Somebody find that awesome thread!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
That thread was so great.
...for those who missed it : http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...21/474548.html

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-09-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
"So, why don't wake boat owners name their boats"

The named boats you where see are usually documented vessels. Documented vessels have to be at least 26ft, or have a 5k net tonage. A lot of wakeboats don't. There used to be advantages to documenting boats, but now all the loopholes are pretty much gone. You still have to register the boat in the state you store it and display a sticker, so property taxes are still paid.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-10-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
here's a wrap done by some friends over at UltimateBoatWraps.com... thought it was pretty humorous.
Attached Images

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-10-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Digging the digital camo..
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-10-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
There was a guy who had a white x2 on my part of our lake with a mediocre wake that he called "The Black Pearl of the Blackwater." Well he sold it and shortly after we got our black and gold 09 Supra Worlds. My parents like pirate stuff and put some jolly roger flags on it. So one day I rolled up to a contest and the announcer asked if we were pirates, and from then on we started calling my boat "The Real Black Pearl of the Blackwater." Usually just shortened to, you know, The Black Pearl or The Pearl... We also sometimes call it Club Supra cause there's usually a lot of dancy party music playing on it all time when we're riding.

I'm completely proud of appearing to be a massive tool on the water with my named boat (doesn't have a name on it, but since it just having a name is all it takes...).
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-17-2012, 11:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for finding the Sausagesetter thread. That was awesome. Anyways, I just can't put my finger on it perfectly, but here I go. I've seen newer wakeboats that have names on them and it always looks stupid. But I've also seen older wakeboats that for some reason have names and it works. My guess is this, If you have a newer boat, don't distract from how great it is with a stupid tramp stamp on the stern. If you have an older boat that has lots of history and memories on it, go ahead and brand it. You've earned it as your long owned baby. My $.02...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-18-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
I personally think you should name your boat and then hang some of those bull balls from your tower and your trailer.
Old     (NoProblem)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-27-2012, 12:50 AM Reply   
Every boat that has ever been in my family has had a name. I/O runabouts, outboard put puts, blown flatbottoms, tournement boats and yes, the wakeboats too. I always felt that if a boat was given a name, it gave it a soul of sorts. A nameless boat just seems unloved and nothing more than a tool to be rode hard and put away wet. You rarely see a boat with a name on it that isn't loved and cared for by its owner.

We actually owned our boat for a few years before we found the right name. I've always felt a good boat name needs to be a double entendra. We've got a 2000 Tige ('00), My last initial is O. We tied the knot. That made us both O's. Double O stuck. I had my sticker guy make some up.

If you're too cool to name a boat, you are too cool. It its just out of superstition, that's something else. Never F with a streak.

Last edited by NoProblem; 01-27-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-27-2012, 3:28 AM Reply   
Not all boats should be named!!!

Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-27-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
When I bought my boat it already had the name " holy buckets " which I never understood and I wanted it removed. A few friends said I should put rye n ginger on it instead, so I did. I have never really been sure about having a name on the back.
I think I may change it to ass, gas or grass. cause nobody rides for free!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-27-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Both of my boats have names on them. I didn't pick them but they fit perfectly. I doubt you will ever find any boats more loved and better taken care of.

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-27-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
I never named either one of my boats. I'm not against it just not my thing. My parent's boat came with a big bright red ROXANNE name on the back and my dad believes it is bad luck if he removes it. With the amount of trouble they have had that POS I would have removed the name years ago.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-27-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
I'm with the "don't name a boat under 30 ft" opinion. It's kinda like going around bragging about your kid's jr high sports skillz... just not that big of a deal. Having said that, I don't razz anyone who feels it gives them a better day on the water. To each his own.
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-27-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have not named my boat (it came tattooed with tramp stamps from the factory), any more letters back their would be kinda like the car we have all seen with twenty to many bumper stickers. I like boat names every time I read one it usually makes me laugh...
Old     (baltfrog)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-04-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
I look at it like this. You named your kids and your dog right? Why not name the boat? Do you not love it enough to give it a name? I don't have my boat's name on the boat yet, but I do have the sticker ready to do it. Just can't seem to be patient enough to let the boat dry to put it on(I don't store it at home). I love my boat and its a piece of junk, but she still deserves a name.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-04-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltfrog View Post
I look at it like this. You named your kids and your dog right? Why not name the boat? Do you not love it enough to give it a name? I don't have my boat's name on the boat yet, but I do have the sticker ready to do it. Just can't seem to be patient enough to let the boat dry to put it on(I don't store it at home). I love my boat and its a piece of junk, but she still deserves a name.
Your right...I should tattoo my kids name across his a$$ too.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
lol... exactly what I thinking, you beat me to it shooter
Old     (baltfrog)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-05-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
I didn't say you have to tramp stamp it, just saying I like to have an affectionate name for the things I love.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-05-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltfrog View Post
I do have the sticker ready to do it. Just can't seem to be patient enough to let the boat dry to put it on(I don't store it at home).
Sorry, I guess i misread your post?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
I wouldn't name my boat but enjoy reading some of the names on the big boats or go fast boats. My buddy had a flat bottom boat years ago... that boats name was "cumin quick".
Old     (baltfrog)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-05-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
It's ok shooter I usually just skim the forums too. I said I was going to put it on mine, but I'd never make you. I could see where the confusion would come from. I named my old car and didn't put a sticker on that, same with every place I have lived. I did put a tag on my dog and her name on her crate and carve the name of my favorite cliff diving spot into a tree. If I like something it gets a personal name, not the manufacturer name. I understand most in the wake community don't feel the same, but I like to say to each his own.

Last edited by baltfrog; 02-05-2012 at 2:20 PM.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-05-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
^^^^^Or as I like to say, "there's an A$$ for every seat!" lol
Old     (baltfrog)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-05-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's a good one too. I recently signed up for here and wakeboarder.com. Noticing a large difference between the 2 forums even though there is a fair amount of overlap in membership.