Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    butt_slider            08-30-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
last weekend i rode behind my friends new sport nautique and it was crazy i came from a gekko which has a very wide and not steep at all wake and riding at 65' to a rock wall riding at 75'. man i was just getting bucked so hard i was not used to it but i did get more air but i was wondering what is the second steepest wake and if you have to weight a boat a certain way to make it steep share that to
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
more weight in the rear will make the wake steeper
Old    wakemark            08-30-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
sanger v210
mastercraft x2 with a ton of rear weight

those are runners up to the super air/ sport nautique

I am sure there are others as Malibu has some steep ones but I have no experience
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
I would go with mastercraft... I think of mastercrafts wake (x-9) as starting 3/4's of the way up like a Malibu and ending with a 210.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
the farther back you ride the steeper the wake gets also.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
Centurion Avalanche is very steep, close to Super Air. More than any of the mastercrafts.
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Nothing is close to a Super Air........No if's and's or but's about it. That is why you love the boat or hate the boat. If you love it you will even put up with "meager storage space".
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-30-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
Define close, I think my V210 is pretty close to my buddys 05 SAN. More forgiving, but close in steepness. Also the X-2 gets pretty darn close.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-30-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
My Moomba XLV gets pretty darn steep with certain weighting configurations. Plus, I like the pop it has at the top. It has a nice steepness to it with a nice pop. Personally my fav, but maybe I'm biased....
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-30-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
I second the sanger v210 on being close to the nautique. Personally i like it better than the SAN
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
I'm going with the X2. The Naughty is a little harder other than that they are real close.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
sanger v210, x2 and SAN are all the same. It depends how you weight it. More weight up front= less steepness. I like it in between steep and ramp. You can get a good pop and still land in the tranny and not fall in a big hole if its set up right. Oh ya J-rod BU was sick also.
Old    butt_slider            08-30-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
ya i agree wiht evan when i rode it there was not very much storage but i dont know i liked the hieght but did like the flying out of controlness across hte wake lol how would you weight a moomba
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-30-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
In my Moomba I have a 1000 lb. bag in the front compartment under the double up seating in the walk thru, then I have a 600 lb. bag on each side of the engine in the back compartments that I fill around 250-400 each depending on how steep of a wake we want. I will run the front bag lighter sometimes as well.

When it's dialed in I absolutely love the wake!! The wake plate also helps to shape the wake.
Old     (balti)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-31-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
Hey chaps ... no mention of TIGE boats must be a sin.

My 2 cents worth,

I had the old X2(Prostar) with a ton of weight and I mean a TON I would get a serious wake.
I then UPGRADED to the 2005 22v and it is a HUGE difference. 22v + full stock ballast + 2 FAT SACS + 3 PEEPS = BEEEG WAKE...oh not to mention TAPS which changes the shape etc.
The Tiges wake is massive and very different to the old X2 ... I had been told by people in the know that the new X-star throws an enormous wake but needs to be LOADED.

Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-31-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
Heres how I rate what I've ridden behind, never been behind a SAN but hear it is similar to the X2 but the sweet spot is further out.

1-XStar 03+ heavily weighted is huge. Nice thing is that it still stays a little rampy.

2-X2 (My boat) with 1000 lbs over stock. Nice wake like XStar but more of a wall.

3-MB LSV huge wake when heavily loaded but transition is very narrow and the wake has NO lip - its rounded off.
Old    butt_slider            08-31-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
what difference in the wake does the wedge on the malibu and the plate on the moomba make. and isnt the plate on some other boats. and is the taps on tige is it just like ballast or does it change the shape to
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-31-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
The malibu LSV I was in was gerry nuns and he didn't use the wedge so i assume it does something that is not desireable or it is not used when you have a couple 1000 lbs of ballast. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on it) I asked him if he ever uses it and he said no. What I've heard is that it is a wake shaper and not an increaser. Nevertheless the wake was really strange with the rounded lip versus the MC boats. It did launch me though with little effort.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-31-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
Chris,

MB LSV????
Old    butt_slider            08-31-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
well i would think that it would make it steeper right but whenever i hear someone say it they are just like "the wedge changes the shape of hte wake" but how does a wake plate work.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-31-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
Some people claim that the wedge softens the wake, therefore they don't use it. How true that is I don't know, never been behind a Malibu with a wedge.

As far as wakeplates go. By putting the plate up it allows the rear of the boat to sit lower and the nose of the boat rises. Lowering the plate basically pushes the rear of the boat up a little and lowers the nose of the boat. Basically, when the plate is up the boat handles like it would without a plate, but putting the plate down allows you the versatility to shape the wake or make it smaller for other watersports.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-31-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
Also, Taps on a Tige is basically the same as the wakeplate on a Supra or Moomba.
Old    butt_slider            08-31-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
taps must be like all powerful then because i think i was reading in some wakeboarding magazine issue(the greatest wakes issue) and when htey were interviewing the tige's and they dont have any ballast and they said it replaces ballast i think if im wrong dont bother. but is it really htat much more effective than just the wake plate
Old    zboomer            08-31-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
The wedge does not soften the wake, man you gotta wonder where this info comes from. It's certainly not from someone who's ridden with one properly setup.

At least on the later hulls designed with the wedge in mind, it makes the wake steeper and harder.

Taps or a wakeplate only can reduce wake size, not increase it over the size it would be without the plate. A wakeplate pushes the transom up, pushing the nose down, and reducing wake size.

It's actually a very nice feature for adjusting to water conditions, and lets the boat plane out a lot slower for beginner riders, or when the boat is extremely weighted down.
Old    butt_slider            08-31-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
boomer i do see your point. about how it only makes hte wake smaller. so it is almost a waste if you just want hte wake bigger am i right i mean it can help plane out and other things but for the hardcore wakeboarder that wants the big nasty wake it really doesnt help
Old    zboomer            08-31-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
That would be a correct statement, but it can help really by letting the boat plane out easier with a lot of ballast. Then it can be retracted once moving.

That definitely would help a "hardcore" wakeboarder. There's no way a wakeplate can make a wake bigger than it would be without the plate at all however.

All that being said, I loved the wakeplate on my '04 Supra SSV. It really made the boat very versatile and allowed you to control the attitude of the boat any way you wanted it regardless of passenger weighting.

I've toyed with somehow installing wake plates on my VLX, to get the same function.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-31-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
I own a 21V Tige with TAPS and Sacks in it, and the Taps systems really helps dial the wake shape to fit the conditions, ballast weight and number of people you have on the boat. With no Ballast and the TAPS set at 4-5, (three in the boat) the wake is very good- as good as my friend's MB with ballast or another's Malibu with the wedge and ballast. With the Tanks full, 3-4 in the boat and the TAPS on 5-7 the wake is VERY VERY tall and rampy. If you like a lot of kick off the top of the wake for inverts, this is the stuff!
Old    byerly137pro            08-31-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
The wakeplate on my Moomba makes the wake have more of a lip, with out it its much mellower, as far as making it bigger I wouldn't say so.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-31-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
On my XLV the wakeplate definitely helps it to plane out faster when heavily weighted. It also changes the shape of the wake considerably. I thought at first that it didn't do much to the wake, but after experimenting with different weight distributions in the boat and playing with different angles on the plate I can conform the wake to be any shape I want it. It's amazing how much a wake plate actually changes the steepness of the wake and adds a lip or kick at the top. I wouldn't say the plate is the best wake enhancement device out there, but it does affect the wake so you can dial it in the way you want it!
Old    butt_slider            08-31-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
what hull characteristics actually make a wake steep rampy. or have lip or rounded.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-31-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
hahaha
Old    butt_slider            09-01-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
haha i finally got that picture in one of my threads hahahaa im honored
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-03-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
geez! Either the guy in the pic is 2 feet tall or that is the hugest wake I have ever seen!!
Also, I totally agree with what you guys ar saying about the TAPS- it shapes the wake, but doesn't increase the size. I put 800 lbs in the back compartments, and dial the TAPS to fit the ride. It works great.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-03-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
So far, I think the following holds true....

The wider the boat --> the more rampy the wake.

The SAN builds a great wake with less effort/ballast/gasoline because it's more narrow.

Narrow boats are easier to sink and vertical depth in the water correlates to a vertical wake.
Old     (mishaplr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-03-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
Obviously certain hull designs produce different results, but weighting of the boat is kind of a huge deal as well, don't you think. I have ridden behind lots of boats and depending on the weight and placement is what makes all the difference in the world. Oh well, I guess you can debate about which boat is better, steeper, wider, narrower, better or worse, but you ride behnind what you can afford and make the best of it.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-03-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
Can you adjust the wakeplate on the Supras and Moombas while someone is riding???
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-03-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
Yes, you can. The plate has two hydraulic cylinders which move it up and down. You can adjust it on the fly. There is a large toggle switch on the steering column, looks like a turn signal, you use to move it up and down. There is also a guage on the dash which tells you the position of the plate.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-03-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
There is no way the wedge on the new VLX or any VLX for that matter makes the wake rampy, smooth, mellow and rounded. That thing stiffens and lips out a wake at the top for a great pop, it turns mellow into OH SNAP! Somebody's been listening to too many MC dealers, they all have the same story. Just try it, it's funny to mess with them. Walk in and say "Hey do you guys have a wedge on your boats?" And the barrage of "what do you want a wedge for? You know that thing just mellows the wake, what are you a beginner? Drag hardware sucks!"

Well just ride with it and without it for yourself, no comparison. Then ride in a MC, no comparison.

You can ride 80 off at 23 mph and easliy clear the wake with the wedge and sacks full. Without, it's not enough altitude.

Bu's have sweet wakes and every one should try them out before selecting the boat they want. Wake shape is personal preference, you can't buy a boat in a showroom or base your decision on other people's opinions. There is just too much BS and false info out there.
Old    jayp            09-03-2005, 11:50 PM Reply   
You can make the wake on an X2 very steep by putting more weight in back. We fill a 450# bag in the bow, 350# in the ski locker. We have 450# sacks in the back. We usually only fill them about 70% and the wake is big and has a great shape. When we fill them all the way the wake gets real steep. The X2 does not need huge amounts of weight to throw out a killer wake. 1500#'s and you have gold.

I personally like a little rampyness to the wake. But you can definatelly make an X2 wake very steep. I think the X2 wake is one of the best wakes out there. You can easily make the wake steep if you want. I haven't had the chance to ride behind a SAN or a BU but if anyone in Portland OR wants to trade pulls behind an X2 to compare the wakes PM me.
Old    butt_slider            09-07-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
does the speed of the boat change the hardness/steepness/rampyness? and thanks for like replying and you guys can ask questions to
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       09-07-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Thanks Machew...Could not have said it better myself. The Wedge drives the stern deeper into the water, lips out the wake a bit more, and increases pop off the top of the wake. Everyone who rides behind my boat asks for the wedge down, because there is a difference. Most of your releases and inverted moves require much less effort. If a rampier and meatier wake is wanted behind the Malibu, just drop the wedge and add 500 or so lbs in the front.