Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
Ive been working on 360s and have gotten pretty close but just cant stick them. youve got to consider what im working with- 120hp fishing boat, no added weight other than people and my rope attached to a ski bridal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11410
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-02-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
Everything looks good, you just need a little more time. However, I don't know how much more you can get, with the equipment you are using. The only thing I can suggest is pulling the handle harder, to speed up the rotation. You might need to throw down some $ on a sac, and pump. It might give you a little more wake, and a little more height?

-Blake
Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
can anyone tell why i get so much more pop in the first attempt? is my edging ok?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-02-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
Look at your knees. Ever heard, "stand tall at the wake?" When you stand tall, you get more pop. If you look closely at the video, you'll notice that you are standing tall on the 1st attempt. The 2nd and 3rd attempt, aren't the same, your knees are bent. When your knees are bent, the wake forces them to absorb the pop. Lock your knees as the wake starts to push you up. You'll feel the difference. That alone will give you some more time, give it a try, let me know if it helps.

-Blake
Old                08-02-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Have you ever tried a toeside FS 3? Personally I think they are way easier.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-02-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   
hey bro check it out. I noticed that in your first attempt everything is perfect. Your posture and position are really good. The next 2 attempts it looks like you're weighting the crap out of the tail of the board. Why are you doing that? I would cut out, before I start my cut in make sure your weight is even then start your edge.

The way I make sure my weight is even is I kinda hop/bounce up and down and push both feet down like I'm trying to sink my board.

Don't think about straightening your legs at the wake. With such a small wake learn to pump and ollie the wake. A good way to learn how to pump and ollie is to do it over another boat's rollers. The bigger the rollers the better and easier it is to learn.

Don't get discouraged. I can see that it's just one little thing from keeping you from stompin' it. If it's not what I said then it's something else very minor. You're there.
Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
thanks for the help, ill try it out. the reason i was putting so much weight on the tail is that i have a lf substance and ive heard you can get more pop when putting more weight on the tail and sometimes i get that stuck in my head
Old                08-03-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
You know after watching your video again, that first attempt was so close. You just needed a little more hang time. Looked like if you would have tucked your knee's up a little more, you would have had it.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
I ride the substance too. Don't believe everything you read.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
chris, i believe you're trying too hard. don't worry about your equipment lackings. i can do a three just by olling in the flats. you don't need a lot of height to do a three.

you are loading the tail a lot in all of these attempts, but i believe your problem lies in not obeying the kyle schmidt adage "pass the handle to spin, don't spin to pass the handle."

you're using your body to try and spin, not the line/handle. this results in a couple of things:

1) not keeping your axis
2) not getting around enough

check out this pic of you in mid-spin:

chris_3

now check out darin shapiro doing a 3 (albeit switch so it matches yours):

darin3_1

see how his body is more stable, and the handle isn't at his back yet. you're almost bent in half and you've already got the handle almost to your back - you've advanced yourself on the line so that you've got slack and only momentum created by you physically twisting your body in the air is what's carrying you around.

you need to keep tension on the line - the handle position is what turns your body, not your head or your shoulders. a three isn't that much different than a 180. try a 180 by not moving the handle across your hips. you can do it - but all of a sudden you realized the handle is no help at all now. same with the three. if you can wait for your pop (however little it may be), and then move the handle across your hips to your back - then pass it. you'll find you keep a little tension on the line and this is what moves your body around.

some other suggestions:

1) shorten up the rope if you're determined to do this w2w. that way you can concentrate on just getting some simple pop at the wake.

2) try it one wake. even better, have the boat turn to port and just pop straight up off the bigger wake, and land in the middle of the wake.

3) practice ollie switch ts bs 180s. this is the last part of a hs fs 3 (switch ts bs 180). practicing this part will get you familiar with how the trick ends. try them on the starboard side of the boat (where you would land your three). start just outside the trough and land edging out just like the ending of a hs jump.

you've got this trick already - you just need to wait a bit for your pop, keep your line tension and the handle close to your body, and rely on the moving of the handle across your body to make the spin happen.

let us know how it goes!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-03-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Nice advice!

Where ya been? There's been "what's this trick" discussions that you've missed!
Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
thanks ill try that next time i go in about a month
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
hey jeremy,

ya, just been busy and had other stuff to do. still riding, just not spending much time on ww.

chris - you're not riding again for a month?? sheesh. poor guy. :-)

btw here's more of the respective progressions to further illustrate the point (meant to put these up with the others but ran out of time)...

chris:

chris3_2

darin:

darin3_2

you could still pull yours out with more time, but you're basically not in control anymore. make that bit of an adjustment and you'll be fine.

now i just have to go find MY three, which seems to have disappeared lately - tho ironically i started doing the ollie threes just recently. i can do them with no wake but not w2w! sheesh.

so you've got that to look forward to chris - getting the trick and having it go away! lol.

Old     (weygone)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
haha i appreciate thge help
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
darin is ripped
Old    stoked27            08-16-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
It looks like you're trying to pull your body around the rope, and not the rope around your body. Maybe thats causing you to get off axis like chris stack mentioned.