Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-01-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Is Roxio DVD 8 a good basic program for video editing?

what format should video be saved?

Why does video I save from the camcorder take 9-10 gigs of space but it can be copied in a VCD or DVDR?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-02-2006, 1:55 AM Reply   
Is Roxio DVD 8 a good basic program for video editing? ==> I've never used Roxio, so I'll let someone else take a stab at this one...

"what format should video be saved?" ==> When using a PC, it should be an .avi

"Why does video I save from the camcorder take 9-10 gigs of space but it can be copied in a VCD or DVDR?" ==> It actually takes around 13gb per hour of miniDV footage. Why can it be copied to VCD? It's called compression and yes you will lose video quality when doing it. Compare your miniDV footage to the VCD and you'll notice the difference.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2006, 2:10 AM Reply   
Thanks for answering all but the one question, I hope somebody can tell me bout Roxio
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Is Roxio DVD 8 a good basic program for video editing?
No, it's for burning DVDs and isn't even video editing software.

If you want "good" then be prepared to spend a minimum of $500. If it's for personal use then any cheap "basic" editing solution will work but good and basic don't go together as far as video editing is concerned
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
I've got the no thrills DVD8 but I got an offer for the Premier DVD8 which shows I can do some basic editing, which I am not makeing big budget movies, just want to edit our wakeboarding videos to put together so we can see how we progressed throughout the summer.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-02-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Final Cut Pro or Express

get an apple!
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-11-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Stay on PC and save your money. Buy Adobe Premiere Elements. It is only $99. If you ever decide to upgrade to a more professional program, you can upgrade to Premiere Pro, and already understand the Adobe Premiere workflow (since you will be fluent in Premiere Elements).
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-11-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Kenny - My DVD 8 from Roxio will convert your tape to DVD fine, but for editing you want to use their Videowave 8 product. If you are going to spend $99, their Easy Media Creator has both products in one box along with about 25 more video, photo and music suite products. The suite isn't a stand alone top product, but the products all work pretty well, and have great value. These will work quite well for what you are doing. They also will compress to Div-X or onto VCD.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
I use mediastudio pro from ulead
does anyone else use this program?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
I now have Premiere 6.5 for vid ed but don't have a clue how to use ...yet..
still looking at getting my hands on a picture ed program..