Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-05-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Each year we get new folks looking for help in making a first board selection. I thought this table might prove useful. The boards listed below, are IMO, good choices for the average person just starting out.

NameLOA$TractionRackNotes
CWB Ride 5’3"5’3"300FullX4 fin (1 nose) molded nose guard
HyperLite Broadcast5’6"300FullXThruster molded
Inland Surfer Blue5’6"445Full Twin fin molded epoxy
Shoreline Lakeboards5’6"399Full Diamond tail foam & glass
Liquid Force Venture5’6"269FullX4 fin (1 nose) molded
Shred Stixx Stixxtreme5’8"515Full Nose and tail guard thruster
Trick Boardz Mojo 554’7"254FullXBidierctional
Xtreme Board Fish5’7"549Pads Chubby model also foam & glass
Awake Fish5'6"440Full Thruster foam & glass

I believe these are good general purpose boards for entry level folks. I also believe that folks within the 140 to 200 pound range should find these boards work in all wake conditions. There are some notable exceptions (the Walker Project and Butter Boards Churn), either because IMO they don't offer a "true" entry level board for the average adult or they aren't current with info. Feel free to add any board that I have forgotten or excluded, if we can just keep in mind the usefulness for folks just getting started.

(Message edited by surfdad on June 05, 2006)
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-05-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Can I assume that the X under Rack denotes that it'll fit in a standard board rack? I like the list! Great idea.
Old    surfdad            06-05-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Yeah Scott, thanks for clearing that up, that was my intent. A number of folks have mentioned that being able to fit the board in a standard board rack was more important than other considerations.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
I've fit both the Mojo XL and the Broadcast 5.6 in my standard rack, but when doing so the bungee is stretched to the limit. Also when accompanied by a wakeboard in the other rung the wakeboards are a bit loose.
Old    surfdad            06-05-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Ed, my rack has 2 separate bungees, yours sounds like it has one. When you had the combination of wakeboard and wakesufer...was the wakeboard so loose as to cause damage?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Yes, one bungee for two rungs. I haven't had any specific problems with the wakesurf boards, but last year we forgot to strap the wakeboards with the bungee and so one wakeboard fell and ripped the vinyl which I had repaired at the end of the season $. So if you’re wakeboard is lose because it’s in the same rack with a wakesurf board you might want to be sure that no boards can come free when you’re not watching.
Old    surfdad            06-06-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Mea Culpa, I do have one price wrong. The current pricing on the Xtreme Boards is down to $495. Plus XBC does carry stock sizes, so you can walk in and purchase a board.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-07-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
ummmm.... I just bought a cheap wakesurf board off e-bay and I have never wake surfed before.. its a lf 4'6" Skim Skate... will it be difficult to learn on? Did I make a mistake? Also I've seen a lot of wakesurf specific tow lines... is this really necessary? Will a regular wake line do? And how long should I have the line? Any tips for a newbie? I ride goofy and it will be behind an 06 23 LSV
Old    surfdad            06-07-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
I do believe that the new LF Models are referred to as the Venture. There isn't a significant amount of difference. I don't think you'll have a problem learning with that board. IMO, longer boards are easier to learn on, but also weight plays an important part. In your picture in your profile you look to be less than 120 pounds soaking wet so I don't see that as an issue for you.

Many people use a standard wakeboard handle. The potential safety issue is that when you wakesurf, there are times that you slide down the face and are actually going faster than the boat. Should you fall at that instant with your arm or head going through the handle, you could suffer an injury - however unlikely. The wakesurf specific ropes have a small or NO handle to avoid this.

The rope length should be long enough to get up and allow some slack, but not so long as to have excess rope that needs to be coiled in your hand or that can get tangled around your feet. I have 10 feet plus the bridle attached to the tower and that gives us just the right length.

The one recommendation I would give that I think many folks make mistakes with is DO NOT try and toss the rope too soon. On your first several tries, just concentrate on getting slack in the rope. If there is slack in the rope, you are freesurfing...but when you lose the drive (as you will repeatedly at first) you don't have to get picked back up and start over again. You just reel yourself back into the pocket - it's mostly just a matter of mileage. :-) The quicker you are able to get those miles on, the quicker you'll be freesurfing.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-08-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Jeff
For the weight range your targeting, I would recommend either the Trick Boardz Mojo medium or Mojo Grande, or the Velocity medium. The XL is better suited for larger riders, 220+ pounds.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-08-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Also, the smaller boards fit into the rack without stretching the bungee. We put our Surf Skates under the gunwales on the sides, or if we are carrying a lot of boards, we can put 2 into one rack.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-08-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
Jeff! You made my day! I WISH I were under 120! Try 215 on for size! the pic is a bit decieving, which is why I like that angle!
Old    surfdad            06-09-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Larry is the inventor and manufacturer of Trick Boardz, so he "might" know a thing or two about those boards. :-) IMO, for adults, I prefer a larger board as the first board to learn on. The Trick Boardz have an almost neutral bouancy and so are easy to flip up, one of the problems with larger surfstyle boards for some folks. So...I'm sticking to my story :-) but folks should consider the input from the man that makes them. :-)

Bess, I never would have guessed 215 - but with that said, I do believe you'll struggle with that 4'6" LF as a first board. A little more surface area will make the initial few rides more enjoyable.