Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
price is my #1 factor, as well as availiability. although it would be nice to be able to fit in a couple weeks of riding before I have to store my new toy.

thx

(Message edited by NaptownWake on August 03, 2007)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-03-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
not knocking your strategy on this, buy wouldn't paying for something you can use in 6 months kinda defeat your whole pricing factor?

anyway, i guess the end of summer would be a good time. although more boats are for sale in the spring... good luck.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-03-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
when the 08's arrive buy an 07?

now is not the time to buy used.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Um, When you have the money.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
why isn't now a good time to buy used?
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-03-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Start snooping around when the 08's are released later this year, many people will trade their perfectly good boat in just to get an upgrade. Winter generally is a good time to buy too.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
so when will the '08 models begin rolling out?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-03-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
IMO you should find the one that fits your specs and jump on it. be patient, but ready to snag it. Personally, i would kill me up not being to play with my new toy.

08's should be in the next few months.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-03-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Because everyone is trying to get top dollar for their used boats, and trying to upgrade during the season to enjoy it. Best one to find is a guy who already has ordered or taken delivery of a new boat. Like I did.

Winter is the best time to buy used, they are more than likely not using it, and want the time to find their new one.

(Message edited by slipknot on August 03, 2007)

(Message edited by slipknot on August 03, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-03-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think that the boat shows is a good time to buy a new boat. The manufacturers are usually giving a rebate like a new car manufacturer.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
definitely won't be getting anything brand new, looking to drop up to 20k
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-03-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
like said above, find someone trying to sell that has already ordered a new one. this was my situation and the guy who bought my boat, i made him a sceaming deal. or wait till its pooring down rain middle of winter and find the guy who just cant stand making a boat payment anymore while it sits there. but my season never ends. thats what dry suits are for.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Watch the used sites, and figure out what your ideal boat would be. Then watch for it, and it will usually come around in the near future. As for your initial question, most people try selling their boats instead of storing them, so at the end of the season, or early in the year when they haven't used it and its just a big expense. You can buy in Sept and Oct, we're still riding down here in Bloomington at Thanksgiving.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
The best time of the year to buy is when the season is comming to a close. People start thinking I really don't want to pay to winterize this thing and I really don't want to make payments all winter on it. In the northeast the best time seems to be sept and oct and maybe a little of nov. Once you hit December it gets tough to do a test drive, with the ice and all.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
What Bryan said!
I found mine in late January and the guy already had a new boat ordered.
Guy: "I'm in no rush."
Me: "If you don't sell, what will you do with two boats?"

The guy dropped his price and we had a deal.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
I bought my boat last year at the end of September. The season is over the new boats are coming out and the dealerships are empty. They will work out an off season price the same if not better than the boat show price. Plus you can get more custom items taken care of. I was able to get my boat Thanksgiving weekend and break it in during the winter here in So Cal and do some wakeboarding. Time the season rolled around I had the boat I wanted some minor issues fixed, first service done and could enjoy the first season. Plus fiberglass prices are tied in with oil prices. In the winter prices drop so does the cost of fiberglass and very often you can shave some $$$ off of you purchase
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-03-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Buy one when you have the money and when you find the boat you want for the price you want.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
in the 20k price range, the deal can happen at anytime. the one who said figure out what boat you want and constantly check the used boat sites was right. The ideal boat can pop up at any time. Most likely it will be sold by an individual, not a dealer. Just my opinion, but i think deals are to be had anytime, you just really have to watch for them!
Old     (nt1964)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-03-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
just after a major snow storm
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
I just bought my boat used this past April and had been looking since last October. I had heard all this stuff about how you could find such great deals in the winter. However, that was not my experience. I came across alot of people in the winter who had overvalued their boat and wouldn't budge on their price. When I would suggest a lower price, I would be met with something along the lines of "I know I can sell it for this price, if not more, if I wait until the spring so I won't budge." I saw just as good of deals in the spring as in the winter.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-04-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Find a guy who is going through a divorce.

So you have a lot of advice here...

In the price range you are looking for, I agree with Onlyinboards.com, it can happen whenever. I would avoid buying a used boat without a substantial test drive, so January in Indianapolis ain't gonna do it.