Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-31-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
Going camping this weekend got me thinking about this again so I thought I'd get a sensus. My question is: How much extra stuff do you bring with you incase you run into a problem while going on a trip for the weekend or just keep in your boat for normal daily use? I've heard people bringing anything from spare ballast pumps and props to whole axle bearing assemblies. It seems like I you should be towing an extra trailer behind the boat with enough parts and tools to build 1/2 a boat! At what point do you just say screw it and if something breaks then you'll deal with it then?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
here's what I keep daily (its a little excessive for a 2007 with all the bugs worked out, but I have helped others with my kit)
1-impellar
1- pump
handful of tools, 1 ea screwdriver, channel locks, 1/8 drive ratchet set and bits with allens, stars, etc. electrical connectors, some wire for splicing.
Fits in a small tool box.

On a trip I bring my spare prop.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-31-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
Fred's got it right, but I also take a roll of duct tape. It has came in handy numerous times.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-31-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
adjustable wrench. saved my Memorial Day weekend.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-31-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Don't forget swim goggles and a utility knife.... you never know when you are going to wrap a rope around the prop!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-31-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
Under a seat we've got the following (as extras):

Impellar
Bilge/ballast pump
Extra belt (new addition - due to a blowout last weekend)
Aux cord (no music or the radio can be terrible)
Little toolbox with screwdrivers, rachets/wrenches, test light, fuses
hose clamps

All of this and we live right on the water - lake isn't to big either - someone is always a phone call away if real disaster strikes
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-31-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
I bring a spare prop, puller, nut, cotter pin. A few years ago I messed up my prop on a trip and it was 2 hour drive to the nearest place that had a replacement, and I had to beg them to let me have it because someone else had purchased it already. It also cost me about 30% more than it would have otherwise.

I also experienced two trailer bearing blowouts on my old MC trailer (single axle) at different times so I used to bring spare bearings and a hub in case it happened again (I can change them on the side of the road in ~30 minutes). I don't think the ones on my new sanger trailer are the same but thanks for the thread I will check.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
yeah - I do have a knife in my glove box for the rope, the one time I didn't my buddy wrapped my rope and its a bear to saw the line on the prop. And instead of duct tape we have electrical tape.

With the electrical tape - I made a compression bandage last year when I popped my ACL, used my shamie for the buffer and the electrical tape for compression.