Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nautique220)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-11-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
One of my buddies is looking at a Fisker Karma. After a little research I'm finding that Fisker may or may not go under. It seems like he's getting a pretty good deal but I'm worried he's going to get bent over when it's time to sell. It's a 2012 with 1500 miles for about 90k. I'm not a car guy so...

My question is when a car company like this goes out of business does this make the car more valuable? I assume the answer is no due to no warranty and availability to get parts. But on the other side if only a limited amount of a sought after car are made value goes up right? Is he making a bad buy? Is this car going to be worth $45k next year?

I know most cars are not an investment but part of him is thinking it is.

He's probably making a decision in the next couple of weeks. Any advice or insight is appreciated. Thanks
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-11-2012, 9:23 PM Reply   
It will eventually be worth a lot if he keeps it in good shape. Kinda hard to say though, some cars are worth a bunch and others just kinda fall off the face of the earth.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-11-2012, 9:53 PM Reply   
Eh... That is rare, new electric vehicle. Not sure how easy it will be to service/deal with battery issues if the company is gone.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-11-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
Tell him to stay away unless he has deep pockets. My F430 is ALWAYS at the dealership and without warranty you are talking thousands for even basic stuff.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-11-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
Justin Bieber drives one.. Enough said.
Old     (nautique220)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-11-2012, 11:38 PM Reply   
Well yeah that's why he wants one. Obviously kidding. Thanks so far keep them coming.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-12-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
I'm looking at a Maserati GT, no t the same, but exotic.

Say the company does go belly up...the market of potential buyers ( if he ever wants to sell it) will shrink considerably.

Warranty issues....could be nightmare-ish.....not to mention a car like that out of warranty...even if reliable, all it takes is one trip to the shop to equal big $$$$.

I'm assuming he will use the car as a daily driver?
Old     (nautique220)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-12-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Probably will leave the garage on the weekends.