Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zak_1985)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-28-2010, 6:08 AM Reply   
Hi

I boat purely in a very high saltwater environment. Where its hot all year round and the salt content in the water is very bad. Which boats handle the best in a high salt water enviroment. Im leaning towards the saltwater series from MasterCraft because of the engines and the std features in the boats to suit this environment. What are everyones thoughts on this? If people use, the other brands like tige, malibu, nautique, epic etc. what problems are you facing with corrosion and stuff breaking??

thanks
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
My x star is ss and is over saltwater all year. The bimini has a little corrosion, but other than that no problems.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-29-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
I think MasterCraft is making the best saltwater boat at this time. Stay away from powder coated finishes.
Old     (zak_1985)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-01-2010, 4:07 AM Reply   
thanks for the feedback, ill look more closely into a MasterCraft. Im thinking about the X15ss, i have read alot of positive things about this boat, so looking forward to getting one on the water for a spin.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-01-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
I have an 2008 X-15ss. I ride in brackish water all year round. We had a few overheating issues int he beginning but it was simply a bubble in the closed cooling system. Other than that the boat rocks, and we have had very few problems. As long as you wash down and take all the necessary precautions EVERY time you ride the boat will hold up well. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Try to find a boat with a "closed cooling system" option. This means the seawater will not run through your engine, jsut through a heat exchanger similar to a radiator. Then coolant will go through the engine. It will really save on engine life regardless of brand.
Old     (rpinto)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-02-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Any issues with closed cooling systems? Do you have to check the coolant levels every time you ride? Is there any problems with coolant leakage? I am looking at the new Axis A22 with the the Salt Series engine (closed cooling). Any thoughts on this boat? I ride in brackish 50% of the time.
Old     (goboating)      Join Date: May 2008       04-07-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
Just go with a closed cooling engine for sure. I've lived in central Florida for 12 years and boat every year in the gulf. When you are done, make it a point to run through a car wash and just spray it all off, then give it a bath. Where we put in we have some springs that are all fresh water and we always head there to swim before loading and that really helps. Being a dealer, I have had many different brands out and had no problems with any of them. Proper care and maintenance is the key. If you don'[t clean it up, any of them will oxidize and show signs of saltwater but when you do, NO ONE will ever know it's been in it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Ryan, Closed cooling systems are very simple and no big deal. You have one on your car but instead of dumping the heat into the air via the radiator you dump the heat into the water via the heat exchanger. Transferring the heat to the water is more efficient than the air plus you don't need a fan to make it work. Every 600 to 800 hour the heat exchanger should be flushed to remove deposits, perhaps less if you flush the boat with fresh water after use. Flushing is no big deal either.
Old     (laicosmo)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2010, 3:33 AM Reply   
Hi everyone, I'm a Newbie also, and I live in Hong Kong, I'm looking at buy a SS MC also.

While I learned so much from you guys in this forum, i still have some questions, as of follow: Your assistance is much appreciated
1.)How long do you guys spend clean your boat up after each trip.
2.)Do you have to winterize the boat if the weather is warm(10 Celsius) in the winter.
3.)Do MC have a close cooling systems??? I heard MC still PUMP salt water to dispense the HEAT, would this create a corrosion in the radiator?
4.)What about the carpet, i see everyone have very nice carpet but usually they get soak after a day out, what do you guys do??
5.)Do MC hold up well in salt water, getting people fixing the boat in Hong Kong is very expensive?

Thank you, i apologize if my questions is stupid please forgive me, I'm just too new in to boating but I love wakeboarding.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-14-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
1). Depends on how anal you are about keeping your boat nice. I have a buddy lives in FL, and he practically details the boat every time he gets off the water. I would say a ballpark figure for saltwater is between 30 mins to 1 hr (some may insist more or less, this is just my opinion).

2). No, if it spends a considerable time below 0 Celsius, then yes.

3). Yes, they have closed cooling systems in the SS.

4). I have an X-Star (not saltwater series), with snap in carpet, but I have never put the carpet in the boat. This eliminates dirty carpet and the mildew smell.

5). I believe that MC, along with most of the other manufacturers, will hold up fine provided you stay on top of the maintenance.
Old     (laicosmo)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2010, 1:18 AM Reply   
Cool, and thanks for your help. Just 2 more question, what about the carpet like materials(like the storage under the seat/above the cup holder) how do you guys clean those??? What about Electronics, I heard that the gauges and electronic stuff is easier to break in salt water environment. What can I do to protect the gauges without sacrificing the out look??? Thanks again the is board is full pehttp://www.wakeworld.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1573296ople so helpful.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-15-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
My MC is usually in fresh water but I take it in salt via trailer about 10 times per year. Luckily, I am able to dip the whole trailer and start the boat at a freshwater ramp after every trip (I don't have closed cooling). After that, I spend probably a little less then 30 mins hosing down and cleaning. More would be better I guess.