Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Finally getting around to a project I've wanted to do for a long time... (what I hope to be) a Noserider model. I ordered a Futures noserider fin a while back and it has just been staring at me for several months now...

Upload

There are tons of different "noserider" models out there if you go to any surfshop. There are various types of concave designs employed to try to get the board to find that magic spot where you can hover over the water on the nose. I'm hoping this will work. :-)

My design employs a concave through about 2/3s length starting from nose to the tail ending somewhat of a teardrop design. At the nose, I put in somewhat of a dish - similar to a Becker UFO.

Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
outline cut and spokeshaved the stringer a bit

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
concave outline drawn out and used planer to remove majority of foam.

Upload

used 36 grit to blend the planer cuts, then 60 to smooth, then 100...
Upload

theory behind the nose rail is to prevent pearling...

Upload
soft 50/50 rails in the tail to increase suction...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Very Nice Matt, keep the updates coming.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
Nice. What's the length of that? It's rainy here. I may work on one tonight. Surf is shoulder high and choppy. Tomorrow morning a cold front is supposed to push through. Hopefully, we'll have some beautiful longboard surf.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
This is 8ft, so a bit on the short side in terms of noseriders, but seems so big on my racks!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-12-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
I've been making some progress on the board. Hotcoat is on both sides and ready to rout the finbox for the noserider fin.

This is a with a 10.5" Fins Unlimited box.

Taping off the area to be routed
Upload

Jig in place - made this from some scrap masonite.
Upload

Hole routed and box dropped in to check fit.
Upload
Old    surfdad            03-13-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Nicely done Matt - looking forward to the first nose riding pictures!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-18-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
Got to get out on the board this past weekend. Was going to buff and polish, but was too anxious to try it out...

Little Smeds checking out the board. Turning 2 this week - "surfin!" is one of his favorite words... along with "wipeout!"
Upload

Three part sequence trying to walk the nose -- still got a bit of work to do to get it dialed in. :-)
Upload
Upload
Upload

The board felt really big behind the boat - but definitely reminded me of summer small wave surfing in Socal. :-)

We didn't have a ton of time to try it out, but I'm thinking it might be the most fun just playing around without the Perfect Pass - randomly adjusting the speed to simulate a wave breaking on a shallow reef - how it speeds up and slows down -- you have to be quick on your feet to keep the shoulder...
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Nice Matt another great looking board and little smedman looks ready to go

I have three boards shaped but have not glassed anything yet
Old    surfdad            03-18-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Love the picture of the little guy. Reminds me of when James was a toddler - great fun.