Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            02-13-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
I was just reading this article about the WW CWB board custom build board giveaway (cool prize) and in the text the folks at CWB make a point of stating that their boards are built in the USA.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1517

I think that I just read an article last night about Trader Joe's suspending sale of China manufactured foodstuff's.

Companies like ASC, PHASE 5, TWP, Calibrated, Trick Boardz, Vernor...who else? Seems like the list goes on forever...are all manufactured in the USA.

Is that an important consideration when you are buying a board? I'd love to hear what folks feel and if you'd be so kind, your age...I wonder if it's more or less important as we age.

Thanks to any and all that respond.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-13-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Yes, I'd spend about 10-15% more for virtually the same equipment if it was built in the USA. I bought the kids some racing bikes and kicking myself that I didn't buck up and support DK in Cincinnati.
Should you need support, I can't stand my warranty calls being picked up by someone in a different country.

I highly recommend CWB as their service blew me away. Took very good care of me, the customer.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-14-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
It important. Companies with factories in the USA like PHASE 5 and TWP means you will probably get a better board.
1- They will ahve a much better consistancy than boards pop over sea.
1- They will also have a better quality control because you see each boards at the end of the process to mnake sure there all good before sending them out.
and 3. WE ARE AMERICANS AND SHOULD SUPPORT US BASED COMPANIES!!!!
Old    surfdad            02-14-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Good points Drew,

I really thought this thread would spark more interest. In the surfboard manufacturing sector it causes people to curse :-)

From Costco, a $135 (including shipping and handling) softop. 5'4" for a grommet, not sure that it's suitable for behind the boat, but possibly.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11123649&search=surfboard&Mo=7 &cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=surfboard&Ntt=surfboard&No=1&Nt x=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I don't believe there are any direct imports of Chinese made wakesurf boards, to big box stores. Would you buy a wakesurfer - say a beginners board from Costco?

I've built a bunch of boards and you can't even buy the materials to make one for $135, let alone cover indirect costs and profit.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-14-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I agree with everything you said Drew. However, when you look at the real surf industry and shop owners, they are in it to make a living. How many shop owners do you know that don't have their "shop" boards produced overseas? I know one. There is a shop here in Pensacola that probably has well over a thousand boards in stock. I would say that 95% of those boards are pop outs produced overseas. This guy is a businessman. A good businessman at that. He used to have his shop boards made locally. Now they all have the particular look like you see at Ron Jons in Cocoa Beach. The ones where you pinch the rail and it cracks. I did buy one though for my kids to learn on however. They do serve a purpose. All are entry level boards at a reasonable price with exception of the Boardworks boards and the Surftechs. Probably the only U.S. shaped boards coming out of his shop are those boards made for his son who is a pro competing on the WQS. Those boards are made by Ricky Carroll out of Satellite Beach. But are Chinese boards bad for the surf industry? I would say so. If you want a real custom shape you go to a shaper. I support my local shaper. He's good. Takes a while to get your board but he's a good shaper. I bet he doesn't make a ton off of custom shapes though. Anyway, I'm all about keeping stuff at home for the most part. I will say that I have two Boardworks boards and they've held up better than any other board I've ever had. I used to get a new board every year. I just got a new board but it was the first I've had shaped in about 5 years. I just wanted to feel real fiberglass again. But for wakesurfing, I think I like the durability of the surftech / boardwork technology.

Man this was a long post. Sorry.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-14-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
jeff,gunna stay away from this one because all i have to say about these outsourced companies is super negative.not because of what they are doing to the market but mostley for what they are doing to their country(our mother earth).i like what drew said.i think he said it best..im gunna leave it at that.go USA!