Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (deadger)      Join Date: May 2007       09-11-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
So finally got myself a boat a few weeks back with a tandem axle trailer w/ brakes. I've noticed that when I am backing the trailer up into my warehouse that the wheels are bowing / bending inwards.

Is this common for a tandem trailer.....or are there some larger issues at hand that i need to be concerned about?

BTW - i have a ROADRUNNER trailer for my '03 Malibu 21XTi, anybody have any thoughts or comments on Roadrunner and their trailers in regards to Quality etc.

thx.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-11-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
Yes, this is common but I'm mechanically inclined so I can't give you a detailed answer about the reasoning.

It always freaks me out when I look back there and see them tilted in different directions but you just have to know that it is normal.

Yes, I would say Roadrunner's are decent trailers.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-11-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
normal
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-11-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
Normal and done to help with the tracking of the trailer when in tow. This is what the trailer manf. explained to me.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
All trailers turn on a single pivot point. So that pivot point is between your two tires. One will "bend" inwards and the other will "bend" outwards when making a turn. You will also find it is nearly impossible to turn your trailer manually, because there is so much tension between those two tires. Single axle trailers do not have this issue and triple axle trailers have it even worse. The sharper your turn the more "bend" you will see, so if you do need to turn sharp, do it very slowly.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-11-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Never used them personally, but there is a post on tmcowners.com about using wheel dollies on a dual axle trailer. One person put them on the back tire and then they can pivot the trailer like a single axle. Another puts two sets under his dual axle trailer and pushes the boat sideways in the garage. They are $140 a pair at harbor freight. I have to push my boat in the garage at a 45 degree angle and I wanted a dual axle but didn't for this reason. My next boat will have dual axles and I will use these

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17966
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94682
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
I haven't had any issues from my single-axle RoadRunner trailer for my 05' VLX. It's a HD, 5,000lb axle. For the tandoms, I don't know if they just use two of them or two smaller ones.

That doesn't have anything to do with your issue though. But I wouldn't think you should be worried about the trailer not being strong enough if mine works for the same size boat and is only single-axle.

I had some questions about my RoadRunner trailer once and got some good feedback from Kent at RoadRunner. His email is:

kent@roadrunnertrailers.com