Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    hs            06-13-2001, 10:05 AM Reply   
I am a new guy and have been riding for a month. I was riding at 55' rope length at about 16.5mph and almost clearing both wakes (hs). Then we bumped the speed up to 17.5 and I was clearing it consistently (this may be cause the wake was closer together or was I getting more air...). So how does the boat speed relate to jump height and length?
Also should I be riding faster at longer rope lengths?
One last thing, on my toeside jump, my back foot keeps swinging around (like I am going to do a 180) and I can't figure out why? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
Charles
Old    including handle            06-13-2001, 11:04 AM Reply   
55 will be a good length for awhile, especially so you can get your ts going. I started a little less than that until I got ts. As far as speed goes it is up to you. 16.5 is a little slow. Around 18 is generally where most start. Jump height ultimately more a factor of technique. You will want to pay close antention to "progressive edge" and "loading the line" dicussions. It's been hashed out so many times and it is VERY important to start with a good foundation. Search the archive for more on that. SO I would say that 55 foot overall length (including handle) is ok with about 18 mph. If you want to work more on ts shorten up a little and maybe drop the speed 1 mph. When I started I was doing the accidental 180 on ts. It is because you are not keeping the handle close to your hip. Also if you start butt checking alot ts, you are landing on your heels instead of on your toes.