Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 1:47 PM Reply   
Does anyone change their oil by another method then sticking the hose through the drain hole. ie sucking it out through dip stick hole.

? is how do u suck it out. any cheap pumps you can buy.?
thanks
Old    gotpwr            06-16-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
I use the following oil extractor to change my trans fluid, but it could be used for the engine oil as well. It works great for the trans fluid. I tried one of those cheap pumps that you hookup to a drill, but it didn't work worth a crap. For the engine oil I just stick the drain hose through the drain hole, like you said.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-16-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
I just bought one of the pumps Dan referenced and used it to pump my tranny fluid. It works incredibly well...I've always hated pumping fluid (as opposed to draining), but this thing has changed my mind about pumps.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 8:12 PM Reply   
That's exactly the pump I use, but it's a little cheaper at Boater's World or Overtons ($49.99). It works really well for the engine, trans, and V-drive unit.

If you get one from a marine place, one of the drain tubes will have a female garden hose coupling on one end. This is designed to screw onto the male garden hose threads at the top of the dipstick tube on a Mercruiser I/O engine so you can suck oil out the dipstick tube without inserting a small plastic tube down into the crankcase.

I put an adapter with male garden hose threads on the end of the "E-Z Drain" hose that's already on the boat. Then I connect the garden hose coupler to it and suck the oil out the E-Z drain hose (from topside). This works well; the E-Z drain hose is larger than the small plastic tube they give you to put down the dipstick tube, so it drains faster. Also, by using the E-Z drain hose, you're pulling used oil from the bottom of the crankcase, so you know you're getting all of it out.
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-17-2003, 7:16 AM Reply   
That's a great idea, Jeff. Off to Home Depot...
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-17-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
Huh. On my engine I have a rubber tube that goes from the oil pan up to the side of my engine block. When I need to change the oil, I just snake that hose down through the bilge hole and unscrew the cap. Voila! All the oil is out of the pan. It came standard on my engine, but it might be something you can buy aftermarket...

Trash
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Trash, most newer boats have those and I think it's a great idea! I'm not sure they tested it well though. It takes a couple of weeks to drain all the oil, even when warm.

B-
Old    hockeyruss            06-17-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
Skydog, you have the rubber tube that trash is talking about on your VLX. I have the same one, if you try to go through the dipstick, you risk getting the tube you are draining through caught in the dip stick tube. I use one of those green $50 deals like on the other thread that someone said does not work, although it works great for me.
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-17-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
Barry,
It really isn't different from how you change the oil in a car. The rubber tube attaches to the oil pan plug. It probably takes longer because of the friction and size of the tube walls, but it's only 5 litres of oil. If the oil is warm it flows pretty freely.

Trash
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
thanks for all the replies. hockeyruss, yes my boat should have a rubber hose. 2002 buwsvlx, well i guess we wernt lucky enough to get one. on the bottom of my oil pan there is just a plug and dealer said there is nothing i can do about it, so my only option is to suck it out or bring it to them. i already ordered the deal from boaters world last night. I hope it works. thanks again.
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-17-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
Skylar, didnt you get a new engine? I bet they left the hose on the old engine. Your boat has everything else, cant beleive they left that off.
How was the comp Sat? scott
Old    robw            06-17-2003, 2:33 PM Reply   
If your boat didn't come with the oil drain hose you can buy one from DIM at http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1054

I have found that the oil drains much quicker if you change it after being out on the lake, especially if you use 15W40. The engine just doesn't get as hot when running off a garden hose for 10 minutes or so.

Rob

Rob
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
scott
i know. really pisses me off.. its always one thing or another. i diddnt ride the comp, me and the family went to san antonio for the weekend. and i bet your rite about leaving it on the old engine.

rob, what makes me think is, yeah that would be great if i could, but y would the dealer tell me they couldnt even put one on.

oh well i ordered the above mentioned pump, and hopefully it works out good for me.

I am also gonna contact malibu, seems like this hose should be a standard thing.

thanks again
skylar
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2003, 11:57 PM Reply   
my buddy had the pump and ive got the drain hose, the pump sucs. Just get it warm and it will drain out overnight
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-18-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
Skylar,
While replacing My bilge pump I found Your keys in the engine compartment. I will save them for You.
John
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
john
No way , what a trip. i knew i diddnt drop em in the water. thanks a bunch, how was shasta
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
I have two different setup on two different boats.

On the boat that has Crusader engines, the dip stick has been modified from the stock configuration. The tube for the dip stick actually connects to the drain plug. To drain the oil I remove the dip stick then put a hose over the dip stick tube and suck all the oil out.

On my SANTE with a Pleasure Craft engine, there is a drain hose that fastens to the drain plug spot. This hose has a cap on it, and is tied up out of the way. To drain the oil, unfasten the hose, remove the cap, attach the pump and pump the oil out.

The pump I have is a cheap hand pump. I tried one of the fancy electric pumps once: It was so big and bulky, made a mess, hard to clean up afterward, the power cord didn't quite reach, etc. All in all, the hand pump was easier. I pump into a gas can so that I can put the cap on and not spill any on the way to the disposal station. I also change the oil after I have run the boat so that the oil is easier to pump.

Another tip: Before you remove the oil filter, get a trash bag and position it below the filter. When you get the filter off, just let it go down into the trash bag and let all the oil drip into the bag as well. Take a few paper towells and wipe the area, drop then into the bag. Carefully get this bag out of the boat before it makes a mess.