Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-21-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
In the martket for a new truck or suv, can't wait to get rid of the beemer!

Probably will be purchasing in the next couple of weeks!

Nissan Titan
Hummer H2
Chevy Tahoe

any thoughts or reviews on any of these vehicles?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I am also looking to replace my MINI...

I am inclined to get another MDX since our current MDX has been perfect for 6 years and 115K miles.

I am also looking at a bigger SUV for the added room and the GMC YUKON DENALI has my eye.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
I had a great experience with my Nissan and it towed really well with decent mileage (11-12 mpg) compared to the 8mpg i'm getting with my Sequoia.. ouch!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-21-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Are you getting it because you need better towing?? I know people on here hate when everybody says to get a diesel, but i absolutely love mine, tows amazing, and is my daily driver. takes alittle while to get the parking down if you havent driven trucks, but I can put my truck places most people couldnt put a car...just takes some practice.
I am partial to the fords, nothing against other brands, just always had good experience with ford.

if you are in the market for a new truck, the 2011 super dutys are AWESOME, have a new 6.7L powerstroke thats kickass.

I have an 02 F350 that has been great, had one issue with the HPOP, lost ~3 gallons of oil and STILL had oil pressure. otherwise the truck has been a tank. its got the 7.3L and pulls great.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Chevy Tahoe LTZ with some nice wheels... Done! Those are sweeeeeet!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-21-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
Not specifically towing but I will tow with it. Really just want something I can put all my gear in a Z4 really isn't condusive to my lifestyle. I am leaning towards SUV so i can lock up all my gear inside. I have been looking at Tahoe's, H2's, Escalades, and Denali's. I would rather go new Tahoe versus used escalade both of which are in my price range.

The only thing against the GMC's and Chevy's are that they are government owned. I would prefer to buy an suv not owned by the government but I really like the tahoes.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Oh, and FWIW the Titan and the H2 are both horrible on fuel. Not sure if you care or not. The Titan would probably tow the best. The H2 is cool in a novel sort of way, actually decent vehicles that have gotten a really bad rep because of the people that buy them (housewives). The downside of the H2 is that they're heavy.... Really heavy and with the 6.0 motor they are slow and suck gas.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-21-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezyshots View Post
Not specifically towing but I will tow with it. Really just want something I can put all my gear in a Z4 really isn't condusive to my lifestyle. I am leaning towards SUV so i can lock up all my gear inside. I have been looking at Tahoe's, H2's, Escalades, and Denali's. I would rather go new Tahoe versus used escalade both of which are in my price range.

The only thing against the GMC's and Chevy's are that they are government owned. I would prefer to buy an suv not owned by the government but I really like the tahoes.
Ford is the way to go then. no government owned

Used to tow with a 2005 tahoe, did ok, but really doesnt compare to the diesel. bed cover and you can store all your gear safely no problem.

I would stay away from an H2, too cliche, and basically a brick set on the frame of a 1500....
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-21-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
I drove an H-2 a few times. HATED IT! I drive an 04 Denali, previous to that I had an 2000 denali
The H-2 is one giant blind spot because the windows are so damn small.
It also pretty much handled like a shopping cart.
I love the ride of my denali. Very smooth ride and ample towing power. Its a pig on gas being the largest engine is in there and its an 04. I average 14 mpg around town and highway, and when towing..... well lets just say I go to the pump a lot. But don't mind. I don't drive it much at all so the gas does not bother me.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
I have an 08 Titan LE and it's great. Tons of room and no problem pulling my boat. I get about 350 miles a tank w/o towing in the city.
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-22-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
CJ holy crap I would love that MPG for my Titan. Not towing I'm hitting 13 MPG and towing Im 10 MPG Pulls like a mule though.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
This might be a really stupid question but do you think because I'm at 4500 elev now? When I lived in Tampa it was only 300 miles a tank.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-22-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
What size boat are you towing?
We just picked up a 2010 Chevy Traverse over the Tahoe for a couple of reasons.
1) wife parks in a parking garage for work
2) easier to access the third row
3) more room behind the third row
4) better mpg
5) only will tow boat short distance with it, since I have a 1500 crew cab (did tow our Moomba XLV with it, not too bad)
6) price was cheaper

But I do like the look of the Tahoe better, but if she's not happy no one is happy.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
is it possible that the trucks have a different size fuel tank? You can really only compare true MPG. Just a thought.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-22-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
If you are leaning towards SUV why not add the Nissa Armada to your list. My buddy has one and it is pretty damn nice on the inside. I imagine it shares a lot of the same parts as the Titan but I don't know that for sure.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-22-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Honestly Riley, I think you should give BMW one more shot and get a X5.

Ha, ha, ...... J/K
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
15.2 MPG is what i'm getting no tow. 13.5 towing. If you get the 4 door the back seat has tons of room as well.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I get about 15 mpg in this (not towing) but get horrible mpg when towing. But i love it so far.
Attached Images

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-22-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys! I do like the look of the armadas and sequoias. I guess we have lots of test driving to do the next few weeks.

Found a smoking deal on a used escalade! I guess a lot of people don't like hitting the gas pump, it seems through my searches I can pretty much get whatever I want 2008 - 2010 with low miles.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-22-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
I think you're right Evan that ltz with some black 22's would look real nice!
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...6-b1348a6bee9d
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-22-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
I just have to keep suggesting a diesel...with my 02 F350 i get better milage than all you guys that posted up numbers...I can get 16mpg+ city and and 21mpg+ highway....towing i get about 17 when towing the speed limit. I can go to and from the lake, at 75-80mph and still get 10mpg, half of the trip is with a slight grade as well.

If you concerned with milage and towning, i really dont understand NOT getting a diesel, at least look at them.

I have a chip, cold air intake, exhaust, hpop crossover, and thats it, real simple modifications. I also have 4.10 gears, an F250 wil have higher gears=better milage.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
I don't know anyone that liked their H2. Everyone says they're heavy, slow, and terrible on gas.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yeah Joey, the diesel has superior mileage and power, but they are also an additional 10K + over the gas versions.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-22-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Yeah Joey, the diesel has superior mileage and power, but they are also an additional 10K + over the gas versions.
how long do you plan on keepin it? because it will seriously last into to 500,000mile range. dont buy it brand new, i got my 02 two years ago for under 20. and when diesel was at 4.50 a gallon you could buy a newer, nicer truck than mine, for 13k...... If towing is any type of a concern, and you want a truck with decent milage, a diesel is the only way to go. its expensive now, but will easily make up for it. more money at the pump, or more money in payments? payments only last so long.

Last year dodge was practically giving crew cab 2500's with the cummins away....i saw some on the lot for 25K....

I dont understand the resistance to go diesel with everyone in these car threads.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 09-22-2010 at 4:45 PM.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Joey.... I know Riley and just can't picture him in a F250. Besides, he needs a secure place to lock up gear and a pick up isn't the most ideal for that. I def miss having my tahoe sometimes. When I get off the mountain or the water and want to grab something to eat or go shopping (etc) I hate having to stash all my gear in the back seat.

That said, you can't touch a diesel for towing and gas mileage. I struggle with this compromise all the time. I think the only answer, for me, is to get another vehicle on top of keeping the F250. When I'm passing everything on the way up to the mountains and getting 20mpg it puts a smile on my face everytime.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Riley, my brother has a black LTZ avalanche lowered a bit with black 22's on it. All tinted out. It's baller, drug dealer status (Lol). Not much ground clearance for a SUV, but who cares. The toughest workout the 4wd gets is in the snow where it kills it with the traction control, and heated washer nozzles (plus all the other bells/whistles). It's a nice truck. Everytime I drive that I wonder why I have a F250 until we tow where his 5.3 is something of a lameass dog. It gets the job done, but it doesn't excel. That, and we use my truck as the snow plow getting into the house. Get a running start and keep the boost on and 3' of powder is no problem. He just follows my tracks.

Damn... now I can't wait for winter. Hmmm!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-23-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I've owned two diesels (04 GM 2500 SRW, and a 95 Dodge dually, both 4x4) and several gassers. I prefer a gasser over a diesel for everything but towing. They suck to park (especially downtown and in parking structures), have loud clattering motor that has to be shut off at drive-thrus, you have to remember / find where diesel is sold, they have an unpleasantly stiff ride, and considerably higher maintenance requirements.

You have to drive them a LONG way to justify the higher purchase price and maintenance costs. Since I only tow about 10% or less of my total miles and never in mountains, the choice is obvious. Who puts 500k miles on their personal truck anyway? I have put over 200k miles on two half ton GM's with minimal issues, and by that time the interior is falling apart and the body is banged up, and I'm ready for something new.

Last edited by trace; 09-23-2010 at 1:35 PM.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
I've owned two diesels (04 GM 2500 SRW, and a 95 Dodge dually, both 4x4) and several gassers. I prefer a gasser over a diesel for everything but towing. They suck to park (especially downtown and in parking structures), have loud clattering motor that has to be shut off at drive-thrus, you have to remember / find where diesel is sold, they have an unpleasantly stiff ride, and considerably higher maintenance requirements.

You have to drive them a LONG way to justify the higher purchase price and maintenance costs. Since I only tow about 10% or less of my total miles and never in mountains, the choice is obvious. Who puts 500k miles on their personal truck anyway? I have put over 200k miles on two half ton GM's with minimal issues, and by that time the interior is falling apart and the body is banged up, and I'm ready for something new.
ok see, i can park my truck anywhere easier than i can park a car, high limits aside, i am more comfortable parking my truck. but if you are down town a lot, i can see driving a big truck being a factor. i like the loud clattering motor...are you a guy? like seriously? you just said the truck is too loud....
at drive-thrus, drive past the mic. a little bit, havent had to shut my motor down since i figured that out. Remembering where diesel is sold? dude everyother gas station has it, i dont see that being a legit reason....on the road, just about every station has diesel, where do you expect semis to fill up? And in town there are enough gas stations on every corner that one of them always has it...

The interior falling apart, is on you my friend, my interior isnt falling apart, its damn spotless...and i have 140K miles.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Joey.... I know Riley and just can't picture him in a F250. Besides, he needs a secure place to lock up gear and a pick up isn't the most ideal for that. I def miss having my tahoe sometimes. When I get off the mountain or the water and want to grab something to eat or go shopping (etc) I hate having to stash all my gear in the back seat.

That said, you can't touch a diesel for towing and gas mileage. I struggle with this compromise all the time. I think the only answer, for me, is to get another vehicle on top of keeping the F250. When I'm passing everything on the way up to the mountains and getting 20mpg it puts a smile on my face everytime.
understandable. i love passing up hill at 75 while in tow and still having some goose if i need it
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-23-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
I like this
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
I like this
wanna see me parallel park that monster!? hahahahahah
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
I think Evans recommendation for an Avalanche is spot on.

"how long do you plan on keepin it? because it will seriously last into to 500,000 mile range."

That's how people that buy diesels justify the purchase, but show me one person that has kept their truck that long, or even half that long, short of a contractor or someone that uses it for a work truck. Evan said the same thing when he bought his (sorrry to use you as an example bro) :-) Now he's talking about selling it.

I've shopped diesels twice. The same F-250, even used, is an extra 10K. As bad as I want one, so hard to justify. They are superior in every way, and the resale is also much better.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-23-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
I used to love loud trucks... when I was in high school.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-24-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
U mentioned ti earlier, but the escalade or denali come standard with the 6.1, ( I know the escalade has air bags in the rear) it's great for towing...much better thant hte 5.3 in the tahoe. I've owned tahoes since 97. My next one will be a used denali or escalade.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-24-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
The ultimate answer for me is to have two vehicles. A car and a truck. As far as I'm concerned a SUV is a compromise with my lifestyle (hauling dirtbikes, camping gear, race cars/tools/tires, etc), but a full size truck is a pain as a daily driver. I have a good situation where I have a private lot at work to park in and a short commute (I ride my bicycle a few days a week), but if I had to drive everyday, or into a busy city, then the truck would be a no-go. As it sits, I like having a back-up vehicle around, too. I'd really like a SUV for my wife, a sporty car for us to share, and my truck for when I really need it.

As for the gas/diesel thing.... I flat wouldn't own my truck if it were a gasser. The mileage is abomidable. For the first time in my life I'm at 1 vehicle. I've always alternated between a car and truck, but I've been driving my F250 as my sole vehicle for 2 years now. I think the primary reason is the mileage. I fill up once every two weeks, and I love seeing the range display hit 450+ miles on 25 gallons. In practical application and on a tank to tank comparison it almost doubles my old tahoe with the 5.3 litre motor. Does that justify the cost of ownership. I don't know.... but I found a great deal on a fully loaded crew cab Lariet and paid only 3k more brand new than I did for my loaded tahoe 6 years earlier. Just because the list is $50k+ doesn't mean you have to pay that.

Anyway.... I think we've gotten off topic for Riley. A Tahoe or Avalanche would be great. They both have awesome utility, are great in the snow and allow you to lock up gear. Billy's Avalanche with the 6.0 motor even tows well.

Trace, I agree about shutting down the motor in drive thru's, although I do like the sound of a loud, mean diesel and I love the turbo whine. Once you're on the highway it's as quiet as anything and doesn't shift down to make a pass. I love that part. It just grunts along at 1500rpm's all day long.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Funny how the Diesel option always pops in these discussions.

We just changed out vehicle from an F250 diesel, same as Evans, to an Expedition. Will I miss the diesel, I think I probably do. Loved the truck in every way and felt super confident when towing. However the Expedition will fit our lifestyle better as we primarily snow ski and only tow the boat to the Delta. Once a year in the mountains, but I will just have to live with that, and the tow vehicles capabilities. Besides I can always borrow Evans when I need a truck.

The Expedition is great! 2010 Limited, so it has everything. Another factor for us was my wife would have had to go back to driving the truck next year (it was our 3rd car) when our son gets his license. Anyway don't overlook the Fords, they make some really nice options too, unless you are sold on GM.
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       09-24-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
We see you in a Hummer H2 and you will be kicked in the nuts!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-24-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
Thank you, Greg. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (myroad)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-25-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
If it's between a used Escalade and a new Tahoe, Escalade all the way. The new Tahoe looks sweet but didn't drive nearly as nice as the Escalade we ended up buying. Also had the bigger motor in the Caddy. Auto leveling rear suspension also made it really nice for towing. That being said we now have a diesel Excursion and will never give it up.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-27-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
HAHAHA! Yeah after going out this weekend to several dealerships I think we have 4 options and it will come down to finding the right deal. This is our list

Tahoe LTZ
Escelade
Suburban LTZ
Denali

I think an SUV fits our lifestyle much more than the truck at this point, we looked at the Avalanche and it was really nice but being able to have that 3rd row of seats is nice if you need it.

We are also buying Cassie a new used Lexus IS so the dealers we went to are able to get us a deal since we will be buying 2 cars at once.

Hopefully by the end of the month I can have my mind made up, but I think any of those vehicle will be just fine, asuming we get the color we want at the price we want.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-27-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Dude.... the burban's big. You sure you're ready for that dad-mobile? I had one a few years back. It was great being able to haul everyone and their gear, plus it was great for camping, but I always had another smaller car to drive as an everyday ride. Any of the other three would be top choices for me.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-27-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Yeah that's kinda what I thought, but cassie really liked the burban we saw. I am leaning to the Tahoe LTZ or Escalade. I like the Tahoe's and the escalades captains chairs in the back seems like it would be much more comfy to be a passanger. Pretty sure I would just take out the 3rd row of seats and only put them in when i need them
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Did you check out the Sequoia? 2nd row captains chairs and way more room than the Tahoe or Escalades IMO but not as big as the burban.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-27-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
I used to love loud trucks... when I was in high school.
so your saying you dont like loud trucks? cars? boats? you better be that guy who doesnt have any speakers on his boat....cause dude, only highschool kids listen to loud music or drive loud cars....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Riley, you can get a Tahoe with the rear captains chairs as well. Honestly, as much as I like the Escalades I just don't see getting a big enough advantage out of one to justify the extra expense. The extra horsepower is nice if you tow a lot, but for short or infrequent trips the 5.3 in the Tahoe is just fine. Plus, I think the LTZ Tahoe's are cleaner looking than the Escalade or Denali. Not having full time 4wd is a big bonus for me, too. Why have the extra drivetrain wear and drag for a system that you rarely need except in the mountains.

I don't know..... Ego says, go Escalade. Practicality says go Tahoe. At least that's how I see it. You could get a new Tahoe for less than a used Escalade.

I won't judge you if you get the Escalade. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-28-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
HAHAHA! It will all come down to the right deal at the right time. I wouldn't mind driving any of those vehicles for the next couple of years!
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-28-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Plus, I think the LTZ Tahoe's are cleaner looking than the Escalade or Denali.
Without a doubt! If you dangled a 2010 Tahoe LTZ and a 2010 Escalade in front of me, I'd pick the LTZ in a heartbeat. I think those new Tahoes look so nice, heck they have almost the exact same looking body style as an Escalade. and with all of the luxuries these days, Tahoes don't have a whole lot less than the Escalades. Plus don't the Chevy engines typically hold up better? We owned a 1993 Suburban and ran it to 225,000+ miles, and now we have a 2000 Suburban that just rolled past 215,000 the other day. not a single problem with either truck. Just a plug for the Chevy engine!