Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-25-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
Well to start it off my battery was dead. That was no big deal. I went up to the cabin,,got the charger and got the ol' outback V cranked. Well,,I pulled from the dock idled out from the shallows,,hammered down and it went no were. My perfect pass will not come on it just beeps really loud. I can reach back in the motor comp. and manually give it gas and it would take off like a banshee. But when I go back to the throttle knob and give it all she has she wont go over like 5-10 mphs. Does the perfect pass not turning on have something to do with my boat getting to throttle? Needless to say,,my 7 month old son's first day out on the boat was not a very good experience.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
did you have the plug in?
Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-25-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
yes
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
I'm sure that was frustratin... but atleast it wasn't as my first time out this year.. hose from water pump to intake split and filled the whole back of the boat up with water.. had to drain the engine several times with diesel and then manually suck out the v'drive a few times.. took it out today and it ran like a top.. thank god.... I couldn't have handled another day like that
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-25-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
If your perfect pass doesn't work. you would not be able to get full throttle because it will let the cable out instead of tightening it up. The first thing perfect pass does when the key is turned on, is tighten up the cable so when the throttle is manualy pushed forward it works like normal.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-25-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
Sounds like the servo motor on the Perfect Pass needs to be reset. If I throttle up too fast it pulls the string out of the servo spool I get the same symptoms that you have. If I turn off the motor and let PP reset it all works again. The beeping sounds like a low voltage problem to the Perfect Pass head unit.
Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
ok,,I have reset the servo motor,,made sure both my batteries werew fully charged and my PP still will not do anything but scream at me constantly. I do not know what else to do. I hate to take it to the dealer (1hr away) b/c they told me my 1 1/2 yr old boat's warranty is out so I will have to pay for everything. Kinda aggrevated about paying all that money for a brand new boat only to have a 1 yr warranty. I mean freakin a. geez
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-27-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Email Aaron at perfect pass. He will help you through it.
Old     (perfectpass_pro)      Join Date: May 2008       05-29-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
hey Geoffrey, okay i was pointed to here by someone and figured maybe i should offer up some help in here (maybe help my email load)

Basically what you are discribing is either a low voltage situation or a module fault. You should check the voltage to the Master Module, and also you should try unplugging the servo and seeing if it starts then. Let me know what you find.

Rod:
The servo doesn't really RESET, if you are losig cable off the servo you either have a linkage problem (throttle allowed to go past wide open, pulling cable off the servo; system needs throttle stop), or you have a bad electrical connection to the servo, or the servo is failing.

Aaron
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-29-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
My guess is a cut wire or bad connection between the servo and the head unit. It's not getting the message to turn on.
Old     (perfectpass_pro)      Join Date: May 2008       05-29-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Yes, you have the right idea trace. But the motor is actually even simplier then that. There is no ON command and there is no feedback of the motor position. What happens is the Master Module grounds out the 4 phases of the motor in turn to TURN the servo.

RED = contant 12 V
GREEN, BROWN, WHITE, BLACK = 4 phases of the servo

So what happens when 1 of the phase wires is broken is the module is unable to control the servo on that phase, and servo becomes weak anytime that phase is ON. So what happens over time (a few minutes) is the servo will keep losing cable as moves over that phase, and because there is no position feedback is will evenually believe it has pulled all the cable back in, and there it will sit, until you either manually wind it up, or cycle the key to do the auto-tighten

Aaron
Old     (06outbackv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-30-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Ok,,I still havent figured out the problem but here is what I have checked so far. First I tried reseting the unit by pressing the on/off and menu buttons at the same time,,nothing happened. Then I did the servo motor test. The cable moves smoothly but when I turn the boat on the servo does not wind back up. I tried unpluging the servo and the unit still just gives a constant beep. I had contacted PP before Aaron posted on here and they told me to take the cover off the module and tap on the chips while it is turned on and see if that fix's it,,and it didnt't. I do not have a voltage tester to check the voltage to the main module and really do not know that much about electrical stuff to check the voltage. If it is a voltage problem what would cause that? When I pulled the boat from storage and charged the batteries everything was working proper. The PP came on normally and everything. What could have happened from the time I charged the batteries and then 3 weeks later taking the boat out and the PP not working. The only thing I have done since then was add a Drive + Play unit. I am completely stumped.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-04-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Dude..a bad day on the water is still better than a good day at work!