Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-21-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
I have the backroll on lockdown, an i think im ready to try some roll to reverts. do you have to set up differently? when should i rotate- early or later?? thanks for the help guys
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-21-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
The trick is basically the same as the backroll until you get half way thru the flip. As you get upside down start pulling the handle to your rear hip. Spot your landing and let go with what was your lead hand (now your back hand). Keep your chest out over your toes and ride away on your toeside edge.

I assume you have HS 180's very consistent? Can you land those in the flats? Throw a bunch of HS 1's first and really think about getting over your toes. Then try the r2r. I tried to learn mine by throwing them in the flats. They are very hard to get consistent that way in the beginning. Learn this trick w2w.

I think this trick looks and feels so much better than the backroll. You will really like it once you learn it. The landing is the only hard part.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-21-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Eubanks got it right. Make sure you do it w2w, and also once you land make sure to put a little more weight over your toe edge so you don't slide out on your heels.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-21-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
I would always sketch out or over rotate. What has helped me a lot is turning the handle over and sticking it in my back pocket. As soon as I initiate the trick I think about putting the handle in my back pocket. After a few you won't have to think about it anymore. It really helps me get my chest over my toes.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-21-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
thanks guys, yea i can do 180's alot better than the backroll. im going to the lake tomorrow, actually every day this weekend so i will definately try some of them. thanks alot
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-25-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Ive landed a few of these now.

I read somewhere, like Eubanks said, release with your front hand when your upside down.

For me the first 90 comes natural simply by letting go of the handle, i had to really focus on second 90 and toeside edge when landing.

good luck.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-26-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
ok so im landing fully rotated but slipping out on my heels, what is the problem?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-26-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
you need to get over you toes. you might not be rotating fully. keep the handle on your front hip, that could help as well.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-26-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Maybe don't throw it as hard. Slipping out on your heels often means you are actually over-rotating the trick. You don't have to go near as far for the r2r as you do for the regular roll. Either don't throw it as hard or slow up your rotation.

Slipping out on your heels is what happens to 99% of people when they are trying to learn this trick. You can always come up short once and take it to the grill so that you know where the sweet spot is located!
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
"The Grill"??
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-27-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
I hope I was being cool...the grill, the face, the mouth, the head. Come on Dude!
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
If your sliding out on your butt, it's cause your coming up short. Rotate just a little more, push the handle down and keep it in, and ride away on your toes.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-27-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
HH99 - I actually think the opposite. Sliding out on your butt oftens means your board has come around too far and is between you and the shore your riding towards. Your chest should be the furthest thing out towards the flats which means you would actually rotate less.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
None the less, keep your chest up, pointed towards the shoreline, handle down and in, get over your toes and ride away!!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
when I do a good hs 180, I end up looking away from the boat on the landing, spotting the shore. I guess I should do the same thing with a roll2re? My backrolls are nailed and I have the same issue on roll to re's (sliding out on my heels).
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-27-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Yep, you can spot the shore and that might help. I spot the landing but I think consistency is more about handle placement. Also, not throwing it as hard helps.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-03-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
I think i should have specified my rotation. I meant that i have been coming down a little too much flip but im landing fully rotated 180. Yea thanks for the tips guys im going to the lake this weekend to try it some more
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-23-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
How can i under rotate the flip a little more, i keep over rotating my flip and skidding out. its really frustrating
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-24-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
Well, IMO there are a few things you can do. Don't throw it as hard. The rotation is actually less than a normal backroll. Also, you can let the handle out just a little bit as you're coming around to stop your rotation. Are you turning your head hard into the rotation? Just try to slow it down a little bit. Yeah, you don't have to rotate nearly as far for this trick as you think.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-24-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
Brian, don't throw it as hard as you do the backroll.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Agreed with the under-rotation comment. The first one you land you will think your getting stacked for sure, but it comes around. Once you get that feeling you will know whether or not the flip has too much stank on it.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-24-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
i know, i keep trying to slow it down but i cant seem to slow it down. will letting the handle out a little earlier help?