Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
I`ve got a real skimboard, size 3"1, and think about puting fins on it for trying to wakesurf it.
Has anybody have any experinece with real skimboards?

(Message edited by waketac on August 03, 2005)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-03-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
yeah they work if your lightweight like me.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-03-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
Seems pretty small.

If you have a larger fiberglass one, why not though....

Vic skim will send you a kit wiht a template to drill theirs for fins for this exact purpose
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-03-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
I'm at about 220 lbs and I've tried to ride the wake on a knee board, old "Skurfer", 143 wake board, but finally got wakesurfing to work on a Broadcast 5.6. I think the Broadcast is about 30 inches wide, about as wide as your skimmer is long.

Looks like you ride a fairly big wakeboard, so I'm guessing you’re near 200 lbs. You'll need to lose a lot of weight, really weight your boat for a huge wake, or get something bigger, heck try your wakeboard, it's probably bigger than the skimmer.

Good luck!!
Old     (pull)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-05-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Darren,

I've totally been searching for something like what you've suggested for my larger, fiberglass skim board. I've ridden on it behind my boat already but some fins would be nice (just a little squirrelly :-)

I checked out vicskim.com but couldn't find the fin kit that you mentioned. Any suggestions (website link?) to where I might find something like that?

Thanks!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-08-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
Kayle,
I put old wake fins on a skimboard and it works awesome. I like it better than any of the regular wake surf boards I have ridden. Here are some pics. I just drilled through the board plus drilled two shallow holes for the "pins" that keep the fins straight.

Old     (pull)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
Stan,

very cool - thanks for the idea and the pics to see for myself out easy it is.

-Kayle
Old     (lostrider19)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-25-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Could you put fins like that on a maui skimmer skimboard?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-27-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
The thing I like about this idea is that you can get skim boards on ebay for around $30-$40, throw some grip tape on them and you're good. Go buy an inland surfer-----almost the same thing but a little larger and its $350! Somebody needs to go to china and make some of those cheap ones in a decent size.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-28-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
Sure, that's what America needs-more outsourcing.

After-all what possible harm could come from becoming a nation of consumers whose economy is dictated by a country we don't exactly have good relations with?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-28-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Rob, the Inland Sufer boards are really top notch worth every penny.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-28-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Stan - how much do you weigh and what type of boat? Looks cool!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
Fine Sean, I guess I'll stop shopping at Walmart, cause dang it. I like paying more! By the way I also subscribe to the notion that the American car companies screwed themselves by not being as competitive as possible and making cars that people want. Instead of giving in to union demands and hiding behind government protectionism they should make better cars at a better price and we will buy them.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2007, 2:21 AM Reply   
So then let's just move everything overseas. Why do we need to be manufacturing anything domestically when we can have someone overseas make it for 25˘ an hour? Cheaper is always better right, and really how much harm is there in letting our biggest adversary control our economy?

...and if it weren't for them dang surfboard manufacturing unions...

(Message edited by caskimmer on March 30, 2007)
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
I didn't say that we should get everything overseas. Just the opposite, but by laws of competition we should manufacture it better. I'm not sure how much I trust China at this point, however, I really don't think that they will attack us given that we are their largest trading partner.......Now Taiwan may be a different case. If they were holding Cuba as the Russians essentially did and using it as a base we might be upset about that too.

My point is that as their largest trading partner I don't think we have anything to fear from them offensively. They got scared after watching the 1st gulf war and started to invest in their military. Apparently they don't want to be taken over either.
At this point they are manufacuturing just about everything....Some is crap other stuff is pretty good. Thats competition for you. In the end we have been preaching that competition is what we want and we have been fighting to open up markets and allow free trade. If someone is beating you in a game you play harder and smarter, not just complain to the ref...Do we want to beat them at manufacturing? probably not so we just need to beat them in other areas. As we found out competition in manufacturing produces ever diminishing returns, thats why we got out of it mostly in the first place.

Anyway, would I buy a $30 surfboard that says Made in China if it would perform as well as an American made one for $350? Yah, I would. Right now that doesn't exist.