Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-12-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
Has anyone had prolbems with their 2003 350 motor hesitate when they first start off? My dealer called Mercruiser and talked to their enginers they said they know about the prolbem and they would send the part right away (overnight) that was last friday. This has been going on since Oct of 2003 the boat has been in the shop two times this is # 3. Looks like Mercruiser dose not give a sh_t about customer service. You think when you spend good money to buy their product they would stand by it.
Old    chavezychavez            05-12-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Scott, which Merc 350? MPI, Carb, or Black Scorp??
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-12-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
350 fuel inj.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
My 03 350 mag has a hesitation problem, I have put 150 hrs on the motor now and it has not gone away. It doesn't happen all the time maybe once a day. It doesn't seem to be rev related it happens at all rev ranges, it seems more related to how hard you are accelerating. ie when you are starting if you WOT it will miss at about 1500 rpm. If you come up 1/2 throttle to 3000 rpm them go WOT it will miss at about 4000. Merc has sent my mechanic a replacment distributor to fix the problem but we haven't fitted it yet, I'm not holding my breath that it will be the solution. It's not a big problem for us but it would be nice to get it tided up. Is your problem the same as mine?
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
I have the 350 MPI also and have noticed the same problem. However, unlike Darren, I only notice when accelerating from neutral.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2004, 1:13 AM Reply   
The prolbem is the ECM. They must re program it. Merc has known about this for sometime now but are very SLOW at helping people. I guess since they are such a big company now they dont riley care about customer service. If I had to do it all over again I would pick a different motor. It seems the more hours on the motor the worse it gets we got our boat new Oct 2003 and have put 395 hours on the motor. Otherwise from that one prolbem the motor dose a great job
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2004, 2:34 AM Reply   
Is your problem the same as mine scott or something different?
Old    chavezychavez            05-13-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
Scott... so the 350 MAG MPI? or the 350 Black Scorpion?

Both are fuel injected...

EDIT: I should add that my father has the 350 MAG MPI in his moving hotel room (cabin cruiser) and it does not heisitate when accelerating from idle. Maybe the ECM is programmed completely different than it's towing counterpart but I would think the HP rating would be different as well (they are both rated at 315 hp).

(Message edited by chavezychavez on May 13, 2004)
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
sorry the 350 MPI
Old    chavezychavez            05-13-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Hmm, my buddys is the black scorpion... I wonder if the same part exists on the motor causing a similar problem....
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
well just got off the phone with Merc customer service they said they are going to try to help me with my prolbem. They seem to be good people I will keep you informed on how things are going.
Old    oshensurfer            05-13-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
I've stated this in other threads with Mercs that are hesitating, but I'll recap. My 350 MPI Merc was dropping off or hesitating so much over about 3200RPM's that you could hear the needles on the gauges bottom out. UP and Down up and down... Anyway. It would only do it when I drove at the higher RPM's when I wasn't towing anyone and after the boat was on a plane. Basically, it was runnning like I was pulling the throttle back to nothing and then flooring it. Over and over. Cept the electronics were acting like I was cutting power or turning the key on and off..

Long story short. I had it at the dealer no less than 3 times to try to have them fix it. They couldn't figure it out. That service dept was inept for a variety of reasons... Anwyay. I called the factory (Fineline)and they said someone else had an issue like this at a diff service dept and they tried replacing the fuel filter. I know... weird, that the fuel filter would do that.. Fineline sent me a new one, I slapped it in in about 15 minutes and the boat ran perfect after that. Apparently the nozzle that the fuel line connects to on the filter was tweaked in the manufacture of some of them and it was causing some sort of vacuum at higher RPM's so when it starved the engine of fuel, the RPM's lowered, vacuum broken, RPM's go up, the cycle repeats itself. Might want to try replacing that first if you haven't already... Real cheap part and easy to fix. One screw and two hose clamps...
Old    oshensurfer            05-13-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Oh.. mines a 2002 boat. Probably a late 2001 engine.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   
mine has been traced down to a elect prolbem. When Im in natural than put it in gear just as I start to throtle up the motor wants to cut out. But after I go pass a point it runs great it has nothing to do with a fuel filter its the ECM the guys at MERC have had this prolbem what all they do is re-progrum the ECM from what I have been told
Old     (noquams)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
On my 2002 there was a TSB that called for a second fuel pump. Once they installed the second fuel pump I have not had any problems.
Old    xtigeman            05-13-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
Wow. That is pretty much what mine did, but the hesitation was so bad it would just die and not restart without repriming. Good luck. I never got mine fixed, hope you have better luck than I. At least your motors are dropping off completely like mine did.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-13-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
Lets see how Mercruiser will stand by their product. I will let everyone know how fast and good they treat their customers on warranty work. How do you rate the company (Mercruiser) or are they a bad company It hard to tell who is telling me the truth my dealer or Mercruiser
Old    oshensurfer            05-14-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
My experience is....They are slooooow. But they'll fix it.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-14-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Well looks like they told me the truth the new ECM just arrived today. Now I hope it works good we will see next week.
Old    wes_the_gimp            05-19-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
Scott.. what happened? Did it work?
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-20-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
dont know it will be installed on friday. My hope to be kick ass stereo was being installed this week. I kept changing my mind on stereo parts so it is taking longer than we thought. Hopeing to take the boat out on sat will post on sat nite or sunday am with the outcome. If I dont get the boat back in the water soon the crew is going to kill me. But if I didnt take this time out to install the stereo I was going to loose my voice keeping music in the boat. (you all know Im such a good singer)
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-07-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Well here is the outcome on the new ECM. Salinas Valley Marine installed the part for me on friday. Run the boat all day prolbem free. Looks like Mercruser fix the part a big thank you to Mercruser for the good service
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-07-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Scott was you talking to someone at Mercruiser yourself or did you go through your dealer with everything. I noticed my motor this weekend doing the samething you are describing. I don't know if yours was worse than mine but if I was idling and the first move of the throttle would be about a 1 second hesitation. I think a little hesitation is normal. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-07-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
no their should be no hesitation. If your boat is a 2003 that is the motor that mercruiser is having trouble with. Contact you dealer where you bought the boat and tell them what prolbems you are having. Don't let them bu-l**** you tell them to fix it it's not normal for the motor to have hesitation when starting. My dealer Salinas Valley Marine talked to mercruiser and said they would send out a new ECM. But mercruiser was taking their time. So I started poasting my feelings and was saying what I thought about their costomer service I guess they read the message boards they don't like the bad PR

if you need any more e-mail me at ssrh@charter.net
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-07-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
I talked to Mercruiser and they were telling me to check the shift plate switch or something. I'll take it to my dealer and let them check it out. Actually, my boat is a 2002 and had new motor put in it Feb. 2004 so I don't know if the motor I have is a 2003 or a 2004.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-07-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
find out what year motor was put in from what I have been told it is the 2003 only