Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
What are the wakes like behind older supras
which older supra would throw the best wake
what are they like reliability wise
anything to watch out for??
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-02-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
What old supra?
How old is an old Supra?
Hours?
How well cared for was it?
Too many variables......
Old    str8jkt            02-02-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
I had an 86 Saltaire (23') and loved it. It was an inexpensive old boat that got me started but needed some attention now and then, no biggie. I thought the wake was great. I would buy another one if it was solid and the price was right.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-02-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
i have an 87 saltare, runs solid. rotten stringers are a concern but the tranny's and engines were strong. parts aren't hard to find but the factory has changed owners since then. that can make repairs a little more challenging, you can't just go to the factory for everything.

some of the smaller ones were made for slalom and will sit very low when weighted...comp and mariah. sunsports are where the launch came from. the saltare has a pretty good wake but takes alot of weight and chugs alot of gas.

so, depends on the particulars of the boat but there's no reason to not consider them.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-02-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
I was probably thinking the Comps and sunsports early 90s
not to worried about hours
I'm more concerned about the wake they will put out.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-02-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
I had a Launch, which I believe was based off the same hull as the sunsport?? and I can attest as can many others on here it throws a big wake...
Old     (munky_flip)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-02-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
CBrown I have a 1990 sunsport and love it. Its perfect for me. Cheap and great wake. The person who had it before me treated it like crap but other than interior probelms the boat is fine. I had the motor rebuilt last year and am putting a new interior in it this winter. I put newer graphics on it, added the tower, and am currently working on the new interior and tower speaker box. Let me know if yo have any specific questions
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
Sunsport is the way to go if you can find one with good stringers. I would say - properly weighted - the sunsport throws a pro sized wake. It will be more rampy and thick than steep.

Good luck.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-03-2005, 5:55 AM Reply   
There is a big honkin' open bow model they made with a 454 called the Supra Beast. It is about 23 ft long and looks like it would be a wake machine
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-03-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys thats just what I wanted to hear
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-04-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
CBrown - I've got an '89 Comp, and with 500#s on each side of the motor, it throughs out a pretty good wake. Especially for the price. The comps do sit pretty low in the water, so if you want to add 1500 to 2000#s, keep that in mind.

Also, make sure you REALLY check the floor and stringers of any old boat.
Old     (riverdog)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-04-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
I use to own a 89 mariah. Threw a great wake with some added pounds but watch for floor and stringer rot in older supras.