Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-21-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
I had a video of me cable wakeboarding on my myspace page and someone I don't know left a comment saying something like "I like the real thing better" I took a little offense by that. IMO cable wakeboarding is "the real thing" I love to ride behind a slammed boat, but I think I like the huge air on the cable a little more. More and more cable parks are being built around the nation and with gas prices the way they are I think people will be riding cables more often. What do you guys think about cable? Is it the real thing?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-21-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
It is different but definitely the thing of the future. You can buy a season cable pass for what one month's boat ownership will cost you. I think that more and more cable parks will start popping up around the country. If they would just put one in vegas!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
There are more important things in life than to worry about what other people think what constitutes "wakeboarding".
It's your party, don't let the naysayers/haters ruin it for you.

What matters the most is what you have fun doing.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
Ive only been to a cable park once in OWC a few years ago. We went in the middle of December and got there 30 minutes before they opened. Needless to say there was not much of a crowd there, which was the point, because after driving 6 hours you want to definitely make a day of it. I enjoyed it, and probably would more if I had a park in reasonable proximity. Ive hit some experience hitting rails so that was definitely fun.

I have 2 issues with cable parks. 1) You can tear your board apart after doing nothing but hitting obstacles. Like I said there were no lines and we rode for about 10 hours straight. I hit the rails and kickers all day long. It messed up my Balance 140 bigtime. The next time I rode behind the boat it ended up snapping. I think the kickers were much harder on it than the rails.

2) The way the cables run is ideal for goofy footed riders. I've been riding left foot forward for 9 years and don't see enough water time these days to really want to learn a lot of stuff switch. It would be nice to have them run clock-wise sometimes.

Yes, I know they make boards now that are more equipped for sliders. That's great but bottom line is hitting obstacles is going to tear your board up. There are a lot of us that can't afford to replace a $300 board every month.

One more problem I think I would have that I didn't experience when I went was insane crowds. I dont like lines. Six flags, Universal Studios, cable park - whatever. One more thing - and I'm sure I'm opening a can with this one.... Even guys that are good at cable boarding - it still reminds me of 'Skiboarding'. People slinging the of their bodies to land a mobe - I dont care if it was a quad-s bend to blind, it was ugly as sin. Riding behind the boat just looks prettier . Sorry - my two beefs turned into 4
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-21-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Cables are great. You can ride all day and get lots of water time. It's not easy to get time on the water with a boat full of people. You can hit all kinds of sliders, whereas most lakes have no sliders. Yes, the sliders are tough on your board, but I buy demos or last year models and patch them as required. Even when the lines are long at OWC you still get back on the water faster than when your sharing rides on a boat.

Both are fun and both have their good points.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-21-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
I just think that cable riding will bring more people to the sport.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've been to Rixen and OWC and I liked it. I think the biggest advantage of cable parks is for kids who aren't old enough to drive a boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
It's a blast. I would love to have a cable park near by. I love doing both.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-21-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
David, being a regular rider is really an advantage. If you had to chose which foot you get help from the cable on, which would it be? You are much better off having the assistance from the cable on your weak direction. Imagine being goofy and having to learn switch tricks cutting to the inside with no help from the cable?
Old     (cooze)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-21-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
With gas prices continuing to climb i think you will see more people willing to pay for a day pass at a cable park.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-22-2007, 1:30 AM Reply   
i love cable parks too.... about half of the riding i've been doing in australia has been at cable parks, and they're so much fun. espcially when you have a good crew with you, and everyone just pushes each other so much. or if you're going by yourself, it gives you a good opportunity to practice whatever you want and then show off for your friends later.

i grew up going to Rixen and have been going to OWC tons since moving to orlando. you gotta take them for what they are: another way to wakeboard. they're HUGE in europe, and I'm pretty sure they'll be the wave of the future here too.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2007, 3:25 AM Reply   
Just wish I had access to one!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-22-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
Jason is correct about regular riders benefiting the most from the cable direction. Of course you don't see that benefit by going on the cable only a couple times.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Jason - I guess you 'can' look at as an advantage if you intend on riding switch. I'm not too interested in learning switch tricks help or no help. Maybe if I could get on the water more often than a few times a month I would care more about riding switch, but right now I don't. I've still got a lot to learn regular.
Old     (dkwake34)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
in my opinion theres nothin better than a day out on the boat boardin. i cant speak for cable riding though cuz i've never done it
Old    K.B.C.            05-22-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
It looks fun, I've never done it, but I see it training for "real" wakeboarding.
Old    K.B.C.            05-22-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
oh, and there is no wake, so how can it be "wake"boarding??? Cableboarding, maybe? Just food for thought.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-22-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Everything i learned on the cable, i was able to take behind the boat. The cable is great because you can try a move for hours until you get it right then perfect it the next day without pissing off your friends by taking an hour long set of falls. The cable definately made me a much better rider. I don't think i would have ever had any mobes if it wasn't for the cable nor any of the glides that i can do. It just allows for a ton of water time and was great in college when i was away from home and didnt have a boat. I didn't have to rely on anyone for a pull, just bought my pass and rode 5 days a week as long as i liked.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
I agree with Kyle. I think that it would be great to perfect a trick on the cable. Then take it behing the boat.