Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
I'd like to get opinions on whether I should keep my current boat or not - sort of a what would you do question. Here it goes. I've been riding for 11 years now and still love it. I'm 26, a fairly advanced rider and would like to think I've got several more years in me to ride decent on a wakeboard. I've always spent my summers on the lake since i was an infant and I've never missed a summer on the boat. My wife and our 5 year old love to be on the lake as well. About a month ago we found out we'll have a new addition to our family around May 2nd, 2012, which we are super excited about! We're somewhat prepared for the Dr. bills to start coming in, but also have a fear of the unknown as far as our expenses, then insurance deductible, wife going without pay while on maternity leave, etc. Baby expenses as well as a desire to tithe more to our Church have prompted us to start tossing around the idea of downgrading from our current boat to an older model or possible going without a boat for a year.

Current boat in question is a 2008 Malibu VLX that I bought new in 2008. Unfortunately we've got about 10 years left to pay on it, not the greatest interest rate on the loan but if I sold it, i should at least break even. Hopefully I wont get bashed for my choice to finance a higher priced boat, but in perspective, I don't have a car payment, credit card debt, student loans, etc and pay cash for pretty much everything. I only owe on the boat and my home mortgage. The 08 vlx has 360 hours, lots of options and has been taken care of. Does anyone have experience buying or selling one of these recently and know how much they paid for or sold it for?

The thought would be to sell the 08 VLX, put 20% down payment to get a $15-$25k boat. Hopefully a local bank or credit union could help us finance the difference for a reasonable term and interest rate. Does anyone have any thought/experience on that process? How many years will I expect to pay on the proposed older boat? My fear is that they will limit me to 5 years, put a 10% interest rate on it and I'm right back into the same monthly payment scenario I'm in now on a nicer boat.

I'm in Tennessee, so looking at used boats in the $15k-$25k price range here pretty much limits me to 1999 and up nautique, mastercraft and malibu. I wouldn't mind an older Malibu VLX as I had a 2006 vride before the 2008 vlx I have now and I enjoyed it. Selling the 2008 isn't a must do for us because we won't make ends meet or put food on the table, its just a proposed attempt to free up some monthly funds and pay off a boat quicker - which makes more sense $ wise. I just wanted to reach out to the WW community here and see if anyone had any advice, personal experience or story they could share on any of these processes and how it has worked out. I appreciate your replies in advance and God bless.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-26-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Give less to the church. God wants you to wakeboard.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-26-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
My kneejerk guess on what the boat is worth is no more than $45K. A friend bought an 05 (same hull as yours) last year for $35K with fewer hours (but no power wedge, which you presumably have).

have you thought about a refi with some cash in (your 20% down on the less expensive boat) to see whether that would lower your monthly payment?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-26-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
i think about the same thing all the time. i had many cheap boats over the years, then bought a bu vlx in 05, then an 09 enzo, (we surf a lot, ruff water a lot) now i keep getting offers to get a new boat every 2 years, and the deals are unbelievable, but i keep starting all over again. The major problem will be the actual savings. How much can you really save? 50 maybe 100 a month on your payment. So if you give up your current boat for a lesser expensive boat. you will most likely end up with a minimum savings in your payment and a chunk out of pocket to make a payment that is truely much less. So if you pay that down payment that you where going to put toward the new older boat, you can refi the existing boat, lower the rate and save. Hope this helps. oh, bank of am has a refi program and rates are in the low 5's
Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-26-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Depending on how long you have owned your house, look at getting a line of credit and use that to pay the loan...Typically a lot lower rate than straight out loan.

I would also consider the experience of would you be happier in an older boat with possibly less amenities, more hours/problems? You may end up paying more for repairs.

(nice boat by the way and congrats. Just had our first at 2 1/2 months old. Can't wait to get him up).

Last edited by jzelt; 10-26-2011 at 1:30 PM. Reason: added
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-26-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
Solution:

- Don't give any additional money than you already are to the church. Church isn't paying your bills or taking care of your kids.

- The money you do currently donate, don't forget to claim that on your taxes as a charitable donation.

- Use the money you were earmarking as extra donation money to pay ahead on the loan, and save money back in case crap does hit the fan.

- If you have any significant equity in your home, see about a home equity loan for the balance of the boat (many folks don't now days...I know I'm stuck with a rental property with zero equity in it, so this may not be an option for you at all).

- If equity loan isn't in your future, a re-fi with a credit union or a boat-loaning bank (many don't loan for boats and bikes now) may lower your interest rate to a sane amount.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-26-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
Not sure if you have thought about it, but you might be able to find some friends or others that could help you with the payments for a year or two. Like your own timeshare or something. I see people on craigslist renting boats out. If I were going to go that route, I would have to have a ton of insurance and a ton of paperwork for people to sign. Friends would be my first choice and renting it out would be my last choice.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
I do have the power wedge which makes a big difference in the wakeboard wake on these 05-08 vlx hulls. I was hoping to hear a number around $48k, but $45k isn't too bad i guess. We just bought our home April of 2010, so home equity line is out of the question. Doug, i hear you on the actual savings statement. Looks like I need to contact BofA to see about their refi program.

I think i would be happy with an older boat, but not as happy as I am with the 08 - but that is something to be expected. I had a 1986 2001 nautique when i was 18 so i understand that older used boats require more upkeep. I had to put head gaskets on that motor - a job I did myself in the driveway. Fortunately I am better than average at turning wrenches and have the tools and resources to do moderate to difficult repairs myself if need be. Something like rebuilding a transmission though, not so much...

When I bought the boat in 2008 my roommate and I 50/50 split payments, upkeep and insurance on the boat for 2 years while we lived together. It worked out pretty well, but then I bought my house and it didn't work out anymore. Couldn't come to terms on where to keep it, he bought a house too and we were like 30 minute drive apart. Thinking of sharing the boat would be nice, but not sure I have anyone that lives close enough to me that would be a good candidate. No way I would rent it out, too much paperwork, hassle, I'd have to up my insurance to commercial, etc.

I wont go into much on the giving to the Church, but I do feel like we should be tithing 10% of our income. I know there are mixed feelings on this and I won't go into religious argument, but it is something we want to be doing.

Any other thought on how to compare the differences on keep boat and try to refi vs. sell get a new loan and get an older boat?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-26-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
be sure to price in the transaction costs of buying the new boat (sales tax, registration, etc). Also remember to budget some $$$ on the new boat to get it "your way" (prop, bags, stereo, etc etc to get the boat to work the way you want it to).

Good on ya for tithing. I'm a godless heathen, but I can respect it. Better than spending it on hookers and blow, and hopefully your church is able to do some good in the world with your help.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-26-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
my rents got our first boat months before i was born, i grew up on the boat, love the boat, dream about the boat. we just got a new one. i love that boat even more, dream about that boat more, love to spend time on the boat.

the point is ive been on a boat my whole life, its given me something to do all summer long, family time to look forward too and keep me out of trouble (well aside for getting stopped out there). think of all the memories youll have with your kids on that boat. Enjoy it while you can, youre 26, who knows how much more time you will have to ride. You have youre entire life to give money to the church, not to ride. I say cut your donations to 5% until you get it paid off, then when its paid off up your donations to 15%. Enjoy it while you can. when youre boats paid off you can give without worry, im not disrespecting your beliefs just think about that fact
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-26-2011, 4:27 PM Reply   
25k for 5 years is roughly 500 a month.15k for 5 years is roughly 300 a month.It is very difficult to get a used boat loan.A new boat would be much easier.I would suggest starting a Wakeboard club to teach new riders how to wakeboard.Make it 100.00 a day plus everyone splits the gas at the end of the day.You could do that once or twice a month as necessary to suplement keeping the boat.Budget for the year and divide by the number of months you can ride.As it will be difficult to sell your boat for fair money before your child is born.I would wait till at least March to try and sell it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-26-2011, 4:56 PM Reply   
I think I would either keep it or get rid of the boat all together unless you have cash to buy something else. The problem like other have said is that you probably won't decrease your monthly payment much buy buying an older boat. That being said you will pay it off much quicker and build some equity(if there is such a thing in a boat) quicker. Finding a nice Xstar, VLX or SAN from the 2000-2003 time frame would be nice because you woun't be losing much wake if any at all and those boats just don't depreciate much at all anymore. Even if you only owned one for a yar you should be right side up in it enough to slang it for cheap if you really needed the extra monthly disposable income.

By the way. That is a beautiful boat. I can't imagine you would have a very hard time selling it if you priced it in the 45-50k range.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-26-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
$45K is way on the low end, I have a friend that just sold an 08' VLX (not near as nice of colors) for
$54K had all the options yours does plus he added Malivue to it, boat had <200 hours. That's on the high end, you should be somewhere in between.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 10-26-2011 at 5:27 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-26-2011, 8:45 PM Reply   
Good luck selling your boat in this economy... this time of year. It is DEAD out there. I can't give my boat away... brand new 2012 for $10k less than any dealer in the country... no takers in two months.

You can refinance your boat. I just got 4.75% from BofA. It saved me $60/mo.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2011, 8:51 PM Reply   
Run from BofA as fast as possible. Keep the boat & refi thru a credit union. Ours came in at under 4% this summer.

Give to God directly. His henchmen need the money for one thing, their own toys. No need for you to pay for them.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-26-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
+1 on B of A. They just did my deal at a great rate and easy to work with!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-26-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Run from BofA as fast as possible. Keep the boat & refi thru a credit union. Ours came in at under 4% this summer.
Nothing wrong with BofA when all the CU's in my hood are charging > 6.5%.

Money is money... may the best rate win.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-26-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Good luck selling your boat in this economy... this time of year. It is DEAD out there. I can't give my boat away... brand new 2012 for $10k less than any dealer in the country... no takers in two months.

My buddy just sold his boat about 2 weeks ago, maybe they aren't looking for your boat .
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-26-2011, 10:51 PM Reply   
I've seen a lot of boats in my day and your VLX in your pic is one of the cleanest looking ones I've ever seen. I'd black out the tower cans tho. Sorry I know this doesn't even address your questions but just thought id drop my opinion of your VLX
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-26-2011, 11:40 PM Reply   
because you shared with all of us strangers that you give your tithe (which is a huge deal to those who do it), The last thing I'm going to do is comment on that choice. Well done. We all have different outlooks, but well done factoring that in for what is obviously a big part of you and sharing that.

Boating with a newborn is tough. I tried for the love of boating, and it was a headache. The schedules, the naps, the feedings, the sun, the vests, the crying, the messy diapers, worrying about newborn crying when others are around, the bottles, the projected stress from your woman, etc. etc...

You have a lot of complex issues, but if you can go one year without boating and save some money, this might be the year.

Congrats on the addition and good luck!
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
Jeeze. Talk about some terrible advice on here.

So, a little bit of background about me - My relationship with God is the #1 most important thing to me, followed immediately by my family (I also have a baby on the way). I'm a CPA with a great deal of finance experience (especially for my age - I'm 31).

1st - God always has to be first. Pay Him first (tithe), and everything else will fall in line. I know there are a lot of people that will disagree with this, but in my experience it has worked out every time. He has blessed me immensely, and I believe, in no small part due to my attempt to be faithful to him in all things (including money). Plus, even those who are not Christian and don't believe in church or tithe, or otherwise should, at a bare minimum, respect your beliefs and commitment.

2nd - Are you saving for emergencies and retirement?

3rd - Do not borrow against your house to buy a toy. That's stupid. That's how the economy got in this situation in the first place. If things go further south for the economy (or otherwise), would you rather lose your boat or your house?

4th - Although I personally don't believe in borrowing money to buy a depreciating asset (boat, car, or other toy), I don't necessarily believe you shouldn't do it. The time I spent on the water (since I was 4 years old) with my family is priceless. Is that time less fun on a $25k boat versus a $50k boat? Of course not. There are some great deals out there in the mid 20s for some terrific boats. If you can comfortably make a boat payment on no more than a 5-year loan, go for it. At least that way you will be building some equity in the boat, versus a 15-year + loan on a newer boat that is depreciating faster than you are paying it off. When determining whether or not you should finance something, you have to go 1 step further than "can i afford the payment?" You also have to ask yourself, "do I really want to pay for this thing for XXX years?, and is the purchase ever going to be worth less than the amount I owe on it?"

Your religious commitment and wilingness to talk about it are an inspiration - thanks.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       10-27-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
Sell your boat, find a friend with a boat to satisfy your wakeboard cravings, be generous with gas money/cleaning your buddies boat, then buy another boat five years from now when your kids are at the ripe age to enjoy.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-27-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
This is news to me. Huge news. I had no idea money was related to enlightenment or God.
It sounds a little like enslavement, which absolutely cannot contribute to enlightenment.
Money is not part of anything natural. Corporate greed and control is exercising all of its power to change this though.
Does fear have a role in this decision of yours? If you don't increase your payments to the church will you be filled with anxiety? If so, the path may be paved for illusion, deception, and control. Not enlightenment and a closer relationship to God.
If my sentiment isn't obvious, you don't need a middleman to have a connection with anything devine - no matter what religion you believe in. But when it comes down to helping others less fortunate (if thats where church money goes, i have no idea), do what you can and feel good about it. Feeling good about your decisions is the key.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-27-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
This is turning into a religious philosophy argument. So ignore that part of it. If your life choices make who you safe and comfortable in the world then that's a priority. Your home is a priority. You have a growing family and your perspective changes from the moment your child first needs you.
All that being said. If you are going to keep running a boat then it does not follow to sell a known boat ,which has taken the biggest depreciation hit already, for a $20K difference. If you park it where you don't pay storage for a year and quit riding for that year you'll save an enormous amount. Having a boat with your family is wonderful and you probably want one that won't let you down. If you want to sell it and quit for a short period you can pay down the house and save for a bigger down payment towards another there is nothing wrong with that choice. It's not the greatest time to sell a boat, but it's a lot better than last year.
If it was me and I thought their were risks I'd park the toys and eliminate the risks. You are most certainly not like me so you may make a much different decision.
Good Luck.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
I hoped the thread wouldn't go this way, but tithing is important to me for several reasons. I'm not giving money to the Church so the pastor can drive a Ferrari. I am actually so pumped up about what my Church is doing and seeing where funding goes that I want to give my tithe. Its not out of burden, anxiety, etc. http://www.lifechurch.tv

I appreciate everyone input thus far.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
BTW - Old Hickory is a cool lake. I've actually been on it. Hendersonville seems like a cool place.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-27-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
sorry man, my main point was that if it makes you feel good do it.
i was trying to remain neutral.
if you didn't want to attract any religious debate, you should have just put forth your financial intentions and left it at that. its ineveitable you're going to attract alot of opinions on this one.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
It's God's boat and his money. Have you asked Him what you should do?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-27-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Research the tax laws and see if you can donate the use of the boat to your church (instead of tithing more) and then see if that somehow counts as a tax write off You will make more friends at the church, people there will get a lot of enjoyment and God will see you as a giving person.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-27-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post
I hoped the thread wouldn't go this way, but tithing is important to me for several reasons. I'm not giving money to the Church so the pastor can drive a Ferrari. I am actually so pumped up about what my Church is doing and seeing where funding goes that I want to give my tithe. Its not out of burden, anxiety, etc. http://www.lifechurch.tv

Then don't bring it up.

We learned the hard way that the church is basically a "profit center", and that is why they encourage tithe. It may not be spent on Ferraris, but it's not always spent morally either.

How about renting the boat out a few weekends a year, and then donate that to a real worthy cause.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Actually, it is not the church that is encouraging tithing. It is Malachi 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says the Lord Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessin gthat there will not be room enough to store it."
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-27-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than that is one of the cleanest and sexiest VLX's I have ever seen.
Old    readyaimfire            10-27-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
While everyone has a right to their own beliefs, If wake world turns into some big religious propaganda site I'm outta here.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-27-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyaimfire View Post
While everyone has a right to their own beliefs, If wake world turns into some big religious propaganda site I'm outta here.
I don't think you have to worry about that. Not sure if you have paid attention to this thread but there is far more people that sound opposed to church then support it.

In response to others I am really surprised by the views a lot of people have taken in this thread. Who cares if he wants to give money to his church. That affects all of us exactly 0%. It sounds like a choice he wants to make. For all we know it is as much about giving to his church because they do a lot of good in the community which in turn makes his community a better place to live. I am sure their are crooked churches and pastors out there but chances are his probably does more good then harm in his community. Again, who cares if he is making the choice to give money to his church. It's not like he said he is giving more money to the church because you are a bad person if you don't. He only replied because people were attacking his desire to do it, although maybe some of that attacking was tongue in cheeck. Either way why not give some actual advice on his situation instead of basically telling him he is an idiot for giving money to his church.

It sounds like a tough choice on the boat. What someone mentioned that sucks is you have basically taken the majority of the depreciation so it would kind of suck to get rid of the boat now. A few options but i guess you just need to figure out what your families priorities are and go from there. It is a bad time to sell a boat but a good time to buy. Do you pay sales tax? If so it might make me lean to refinancing the boat to a lower rate vs selling and buying another boat for 20k less.

By the way I am in no way what you would call a spiritual or church going individual. Heck, I don't think I have ever even been to church except for a christmas play, weddings and the occasional church capreted floor bball game.

Last edited by polarbill; 10-27-2011 at 2:05 PM.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Does a tithe always have to be monetary? Can it be just time? Is there a youth group at your church that you could introduce watersports to?

BTW GORGEOUS Bu'
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-27-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post

Wait, you want to give 10% of your income to an INTERNET CHURCH?
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-27-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
If you want to keep riding, and need the money, I definitely consider downgrading.

Sell it and pick up a vride like you had or a 02-04 Wakesetter Vlx. You can get low interest rates, and long periods too. I got 6% and 8 years on my 04, even though I won't need it. They prefer longer, as there is less risk for default.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
2 options:

make friends with another wakeboat owner so that you can still ride, save the money, and when its right again, pick up a nice used boat. find a third/be a third is a good place to start here on ww.... or...

we just had a credit union rep come into our station today, they are offering %2.5 on used vehicle loans right now. I don't know where you live, but if you can get a good interest rate on a used boat OR refy your boat with a low interest rate, It would free up some cash.

Congrats on the new arrival, I hope you get to keep the/a boat and take him/her out next summer. And thank you for sharing your faith. I appreciate it.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
duuuuude thats a sick bu, im sure you picked out your colors. therefore its like a child. cut the giving down just enough to make the payments and then give that much more whern youre done
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
you guys crack me up, you are not listening. He has made his decision on tithing and his unborn child. He just wants options for his boat.

Yes he shared some personal things about himself, 2 of which were tithing and an unborn baby. He is going to tithe. He is going to keep the baby. NOBODY has told him of the option of having an abortion, but that is an option too!. Abortion would be great because everybody knows that babies are expensive, needy, require love, attention, affection, patience, money, time. Babies are helpless and really put a damper in your lifestyle, and as soon as a baby forces you to look at the possiblity of selling your boat, then said baby must go.

That would be innapropriate and way off topic, so all you commenting to tithe less, or not at all, are being innapropriate and are off topic. If you want to bash those who go to church, tithe, volunteer, give...etc, then start your own thread. Otherwise, help a guy out and give him some ideas.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
right so you recomend he aborts his boat?!?!

some of us are at least posing ways to do all three at once and make everyone happy...

but dont bash his faith that ****ed up
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2011, 10:43 PM Reply   
He didnt ask u how to "do all 3 things at once....and make everyone happy" so by doing that, you are little to no help.

If look at my earlier post, i offered some relevant advise.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2011, 12:22 AM Reply   
HA HA!

Good post Johnny!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
First off, that boat is beautiful! Letting go of that wont be easy.

I was in a very similar situation that you are in this time last year. Tithing is also very important to me and I commend you for your faith. We took our first child to the lake all the time in 2009 and 2010 but with all the unknowns of a new baby on top of already having a 2 year old, I could forsee alot less time on the boat this summer. I sold my 06 X2 around Labor Day last year. When I added up all the savings and considered the unknowns, it was a no brainer. Storage, taxes, winterization/maintenence, insurance...I was able to put all that money away for the next boat.

Fast forward to this summer, my dad has a boat that I can use any time. Its just a cuddy cabin I/O but good enough to get out with the family and chill on the lake. We did it ONE time. Just not worth the hassle with both kids. I rode with the firends all summer, and although I didn't get to ride as often as I wanted, considering all that was going on with the family I was satisifed. We are thinking about number 3 in 2012 so I am still saving for the next boat in 2013/2014.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
To nitrousbird - the Church isn't online only. Although, they do have online services throughout the day, every day, with an online pastor that answers questions people may have in a live chat. There are several lifechurch campuses around the US and thousands of "satellite" churches, worldwide, that use the weekly sermon, materials and whatnot. I go to a local, physical location - not online.The Church has also created "YouVersion" - the first full length Bible app for iPhone, Droid, etc. that is free and has been downloaded by over 30million people. But anyway, pick apart all the useless off topic rambling and there has been some decent info provided and I appreciate that to those that provided it. Thank you to those who have commented on my boat, I appreciate it. I was talking with the Church to do a lake program to benefit those in need once a month on a Saturday during the warm months. But unfortunately, we couldn't get it organized this year before cold weather set in. I am all for donating my time and the boat use to a good cause, but I would just consider that a supplement to my service and outreach - not a replacement. I'm going to look into refi at this point and hopefully something pans out there.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-28-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
I dont think you will really be saving that much by getting a boat that is $20K cheaper. Therefore, I believe your real choice is between having a boat or not. Personally, I would not want to be in a situation where I was at all worried about a boat payment/maintenance cost., especially with a young family. Therefore, sale the boat if you can and find some friends to ride with. If it turns out that you have the money and time, you can always find another nice used boat.
Old     (sangermadness)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-28-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
My personal opinion would be you wont save much by selling and getting a lesser boat. I think I would sell it and just go with friends for a couple years, OR keep that badboy and donate your time and some money to the Church. Maybe a side job for the Church money. I dont think the little you will gain by trading boats will be worth it. Good luck!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-28-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
He didnt ask u how to "do all 3 things at once....and make everyone happy" so by doing that, you are little to no help.

If look at my earlier post, i offered some relevant advise.

he already stated the friend he split the boat with to start lives too far, he made it seem like boat whoring is not an option, besides boat whoring is frustrating, trust me. No one ever wants to go out when you do, you cant bring who you want, and you have to deal with the 14 other losers they bring along instead of just ride with your crew/family when you want to.

Okay if you can refi thats fine, but wheres he gunna get the money to make that payment anyways? somethings gotta give, besides im sure thats the first thing he looked into

so me advising him to to borrow money from himself to make the payment for a few years until his finances steady doesnt make sense? so he can still donate now,keep the boat, make memories with his children, and then in the future pay back the money he borrowed from the money he set aside to the church to make up for the difference (ie. 8% one year then 12% the next) that he didnt give to the church this year... its the only way to have your cake and eat it too

but hey who knows, with a newborn he may not even get to use it, in that case sell it and save up for a new one down the road when your kids are heading to their teenage years. all i know is i would want to let a bu that good looking go...

Last edited by simplej; 10-28-2011 at 9:30 AM.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-28-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Living in TN myself, I know that you'll have to pay big taxes on that used boat that you buy. Along with the depreciation hit from your current boat that's a double hit and even more money down the drain. I would either refi or as someone else said park the boat in your garage and don't use it for a year. That will save some coin and you'll still have the boat. Downgrading a little hardly ever makes sound financial sense.

Jman
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-28-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
Tuneman makes a great point. Lift your situation up in prayer with your wife. See what He wants you to do with the boat.

Also, Preston's advice and questions are right on. I would really think about how much this boat may be keeping you from being generous in other areas.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-28-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
Byatt(bye-it)? why did you buy brand new in 08? I think in 08 you could have had your pic of good used boats. If you would have talked to God, he would have told you to get a used nautique(he knows whats up) and you would have had a great boat, great wake, and would not be in this situation! so, what is the interest your paying now?
Old     (no_tools)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-28-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
keep it man. just cut something else out. like maybe less tv channels, different cell phone plan, not go out and eat. if you do that a lot. is your job steady? maybe a side job. just something to cover the boat payment.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-28-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post

Ixfe, why are you selling? Didn't you just get that? How much are you asking? I have a friend that likes the pickle MB's.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-28-2011, 9:51 PM Reply   
You guys really need to back off and help him make a decision. He has not posted that everyone needs to give to the church. You may not believe like he does but give him respect. Your comments about God and the church are childish. His faith is admirable and he has a great looking boat. The economy is hard so to judge him because he has more important priorities in his life than keeping his boat is so shortsighted.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-29-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
BHyatt - Congrats on the news of expanding your family. What you will learn, is that family boating is so much of a better feeling, than just being proud of your boat. When you post on wakeworld, the first pic of your son/daughter in the boat, the first nap, the first smile, the ridiculous baby driving a boat, the jump off the swim platform, the first baby ride with dad on the board, the first time up on their own, the first invert, the first trophy, the first state championship, you will know that it really wasn't about the boat, it was about all the blessings.

I'm 49, I have all those pics with my 2 sons and Daughter. Now I get to post pics of my grand daughter with her uncle behind my supra.
Attached Images

Old    fowl            10-29-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
you need to sell the boat and not get a new one. you need to save as much money as you can since you are giving a large portion of your income away when you could still have a great relationship with god without paying "him" like he's a shrink or something. i'd like to thank you now for the religious craziness you will bestow upon your child. but i do at least agree it's your choice and right to make the choice; just give your child some choices too. but again, sell the boat this spring when buyers are coming around and invest it in a mutual fund or something and take care of your family.
Old     (mfenton)      Join Date: May 2009       10-29-2011, 10:02 PM Reply   
The church doesn't sign my paycheck... If you can't afford it.. sell it. Simple. Stupid liberals and obama is part of the reason why the country is in a **** hole. If you think that 10% of your income is more important than having a good time on a nice boat.. its a dog eat dog world now days..
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-30-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
If you truly believe keep the boat and continue to donate 10% of your income to the church God will make the rest work and shower you with his blessings.I was raised and attended private school catholic to be exact and the one thing I'm sure of is God does not want anyone to belong to organized religion.How could a loving God want anyone to belong to an organization that has killed thousands and thousands in his name.If I remember right there is a verse in the bible that says if you attend so others can see god would prefer you to pray in private.Have I lost faith??yes the belief in God when looking at history has done more harm to the world than good.Wake world is not a place to share your beliefs ask all the boat questions you want but next time please leave GOD out of it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-30-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
Keep the boat and go with the 90 day money back tithe program, if things don't get any better you can get all your money back.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
bhyatt,
I know you posted to get a verity of opinions although not intended as a eye opening discussion it definitely shows the need for more outreach to the lost (even though they don't know they are lost). I was in your position 10 yrs ago. We decided to sell the boat to help in a building program we were doing at the church. I missed not being able to go at the drop of a hat but I adjusted and 4 yrs later bought a used Supra. God blessed us and we bought right and paid cash for the supra. In retrospect I would do it again. The blessings of God are undeniable and it is the only area in his word where he says to prove him. We have since moved on to a Malibu and the whole family loves it and we were blessed to be involved with Wake the World this summer to give back. This has evolved into a youth outreach to the kids in the church. I think what has impressed me the most is how my high school kids have bought into helping others using what they have learned on the water.

God will bless your decision what ever you decide. (pray and listen)
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-30-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
Problem solved - Matt. 19:21
Then you will have money to rent the rest of your life.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-30-2011, 11:37 PM Reply   
is there a way to delete this thread??? you have a very legit question, but obviously one that needed to be asked to the people you're giving 10% of your income to. If you're paying them anyway you might as well receive some "free" advice. You see them face to face, you pay them your money, and they know you personally. Why anyone would ask a group of strangers about whether to sell a $60,0000 boat or not is beyond me. Good luck with your boat, its amazing and you're fortunate to have owned it. If things have gotten so bad that you're asking strangers for financial advice, my suggestion is you sell that amazing boat and start saving every penny. Asking people you don't now to help you with finances is a sign of desperation, a last resort. so sell it.
Old    fowl            10-31-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
you should really not be such a darn sheep and follow what others say. if religion was valid there would not be so many different ones; and especially so many different sects of christianity. i highly doubt this will change your mind, but a real church wouldn't require you give up your money. you can worship god anywhere. you could start a non profit to teach young kids to wakeboard and keep your boat and help people and not be a sucker. however, the less folks in wakeboarding with religion the better. you can't thank god for success without blaming him for failure.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-31-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
^^^
Quote:
shows the need for more outreach to the lost (even though they don't know they are lost)
;-)
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
Wow. Sign of the times I guess.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-31-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
Funny.
Attached Images

Old    fowl            10-31-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
Christianity is most similar to the Muslim faith. Convert others or else
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-31-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
and hows that?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Check this out so that byhatt can return to receiving relevant info

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790726

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 10-31-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-31-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowl View Post
... a real church wouldn't require you give up your money.
Do you believe the Bible? That's cool if you don't. But I just want to point out the fact that giving back to God is not a new concept. It is mentioned about a dozen times in the Old Testament... that's the part of the Bible almost everybody believes in.

Malachi 3: 8-9

8 Will a man brob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In ctithes and offerings.

9 Ye are acursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring ye all the atithes into the storehouse, that there may be bmeat in mine house, and cprove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not dopen you the ewindows of heaven, and pour you out a fblessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Here are the other Biblical references to Tithing for those interested:

• gave him tithes of all, Gen. 14:20 (Heb. 7:2).
  • I will surely give the tenth unto thee, Gen. 28:22
  • tithe of the land … is holy unto the Lord, Lev. 27:30
  • for the Lord, even a tenth part of the tithe, Num. 18:26
  • your tithes, and heave offerings, Deut. 12:6
  • tithe all the increase of thy seed, Deut. 14:22 (Deut. 26:12).
  • tithe of all things brought they in abundantly, 2 Chr. 31:5
  • Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes, Neh. 10:38
  • for the tithes, to gather, Neh. 12:44
  • brought all Judah the tithe of the corn, Neh. 13:12
  • tithe of mint and anise and cummin, Matt. 23:23
  • I give tithes of all that I possess, Luke 18:12
  • Honour the Lord with thy bsubstance, and with the cfirstfruits of all thine increase. Prov. 3:9.

I guess I just don't understand all those who attack the OP's desire to make a sacrifice for a cause he deems larger than his own selfish desires. It's a noble thing... no matter what church he belongs to. Balance in life is good. I'm quite certain those who are opposed to the OP's tighing have achieved balance in other ways (e.g. United Way, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc.). It's all goodness.
Old    fowl            10-31-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
you can donate money if you want. however, donating time is more valuable a resource. it's not like there arent enough freaking churches in the world. and i highly doubt if there is a god he even knows what monetary value is because it's a man made idea, just like time.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-31-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
wow.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-31-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
Problem solved - You are not required to tithe anymore - Romans 10:4
So you could take that 10% and apply to newer boat.
Just trying to help find a way for the OP

Last edited by rexlex01; 10-31-2011 at 5:12 PM.
Old    fowl            11-02-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
I thought heaven was free
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-02-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
you guys crack me up, you are not listening. He has made his decision on tithing and his unborn child. He just wants options for his boat.

Yes he shared some personal things about himself, 2 of which were tithing and an unborn baby. He is going to tithe. He is going to keep the baby. NOBODY has told him of the option of having an abortion, but that is an option too!. Abortion would be great because everybody knows that babies are expensive, needy, require love, attention, affection, patience, money, time. Babies are helpless and really put a damper in your lifestyle, and as soon as a baby forces you to look at the possiblity of selling your boat, then said baby must go.

That would be innapropriate and way off topic, so all you commenting to tithe less, or not at all, are being innapropriate and are off topic. If you want to bash those who go to church, tithe, volunteer, give...etc, then start your own thread. Otherwise, help a guy out and give him some ideas.
Yea and babies poop to , another good reason it has to go
Old    readyaimfire            11-03-2011, 3:25 AM Reply   
"thow shalt tithe thy boat to wakeworld member readyaimfire"- yours truly, God....

Well, the lord has spoken and I suggest you listen
Old    fowl            11-03-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Like I said, giving money to a church because you think you'll go to hell if you don't is absurd. Westboro baptist has some openings for you. And we are not lost. We just happen to think for ourselves and not get scared of the talking snake and Easter bunny.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-03-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
....and its starting to get good
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
I love this thread! Please don't delete.
Old    readyaimfire            11-04-2011, 3:48 AM Reply   
I actually feel bad for the OP that his thread turned into this. But this is exactly what I meant about wakeworld turning into a religious debate. People have such varied stances on this topic, i think it would have been best to leave out the fact that he gives his hard earned money away in bLind faith. At the same time, coming on a website to ask a bunch of complete strangers how to manage your finances isn't really that good of an idea either!