Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-14-2014, 10:56 PM Reply   
So I bought a skim style board this winter, a 3'9" Wavezone Boost. It has a single 8" long 1" high fin in the center.
Our wake is a taller surf style wake and with the geometry of it, that center fin wasn't even touching the water, let alone tracking most of the time out today. This prevented me from freeriding because it got very squirrely, making me push hard with my back foot to regain control, which also puts on the brakes and ruins the fun.

My friend has a similar type board that is 4'0" and has a big single, like 6" thruster on the back of his and it's really stable and the best board I've ridden. Unfortunately it was made by a small local manufacturer that is now out of business, so I am trying to get something that rides similar.

I have a couple of questions:

1: Would switching out to a bigger fin help in this department and make the board more stable. I'm thinking of getting a 4-6" tall surf style fin to use instead.

2: Would using a big surf style fin technically make this a surf style board since you are no longer able to do the stuff you typically could on a skim style board?

3: Where would I find some fins that will fit. The manufacturer doesn't sell fins individually and they are a skimboard manufacturer, so I doubt they sell big thrusting fins. The specs of my fin are as follows,
STYLE: dual screw, top mount
HOLE DISTANCE: 3" apart center to center
HOLE DIAMETER: .15" or 4mm machine thread

Attached is a picture of what I have.

4: I found this fin online, it is a 3.5" fin for a Ronix that still used the top mount screws to mount it. Does anyone know what the hole distance or diameter is on this? if it will work, I would probably just buy this one.
http://www.the-house.com/wkfrofhs35b...oard-fins.html
Attached Images

Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 12:33 AM Reply   
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it's the same hole pattern. As an example, I just bolted a Hyperlite surf dog (?) 6" x 3 1/2" to my new skim. It looks absurd but, I'm gonna give it a go at Tahoe this weekend (the real Polar Bear event), weather permitting of course and no mechanicles. A single 1" fin just doesn't really cut it a Tahoe with all the rollers. The wake pitches and rolls wildly. It'll go straight vert to dead flat in less than one second. It's more about survival than it is pretty little tricks. A fella needs some traction. I digress. Steep wakes, small fin. I can also bolt up the standard 7" x 1" skim fin from an old Surf Skate or the one of the lady's P5.

Long story short (too late), most bolt on center fins will fit. Worst case, you might have to find some hardware but, that's improbable as well as never too tough.
Attached Images

Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 12:39 AM Reply   
1 1/2" hole pattern. Standard 7" x 1" skim fin.
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-15-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
I shot EVO an email. I think it should work. If I hear back from them soon, I'll get it. Well it's $8, I might get it anyway.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
...and no, it does not make it a surf style board. It's just skim with a surf fin.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-17-2014, 12:31 AM Reply   
Lame. Session called on account of wind and boat mechanicle (didn't launch on account of wind, no shake down run = no big day out = mechanical technicality (?)).

I'll get a ride on that fin sooner or later.