Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-07-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new board for the summer and I'm a little confused on what the right size board would be for me. I'm 5'8' and weigh approx 185lbs. I've noticed that different mfgr's all have different weight limits for board sizes...just wondering what some of you guys are riding?

Also, what board/binding combo should I go for? I would say my skill set is still low intermediate :-)

Thx,

Pip
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2010, 10:53 PM Reply   
I would suggest a board of about 140cm in length.
a lot of "entry" level boards used to be "pro" models and it is only likely many of the pro models will be such in the future. so you can't really go wrong with most. if at all possible demo a couple of boards to see what you like. rocker type is one of the most characteristic things. continuous rocker and 3 stage are the main varieties. flexy and not so flexy/stiff core boards is another big characteristic. one is not better than the other, just different.

how do you like to ride. or how WILL you like to ride?
do you like a fast board?
do you want a wake to wake style or do you like the idea of jumping far past the wake?
do you like to do surface tricks and or press the board out
will you hit rails, winch, cable?
anything else you can enlighten us with

as for bindings. go to a store and try a few on. test the feel of them. some are stiffer for better response and others softer for those who grab and poke a lot
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-07-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
I have no preference on the speed of the board, more concerned about the pop off the wake. I'm not looking for a board to send me into the flats...wake 2 wake is good for me. Currently my surface tricks are limited to spins and ollies, but that is just because I lack the skill. I do like to do this though. I'll probably never ride winch or cable and rails are probably a few seasons away :-)

Thx,

Pip