Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       06-23-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
just read on the int site that the int national championships are going to be cancelled this year due to the economy.. kind of a bummer
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-23-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Thats a bummer I hope things turn around soon

From the INT league website http://www.intleague.com/us-championships/

Dear INT Participants,

We are sad to announce that the 2009 INT US Championships have been postponed until 2010. The tour winners in each state in 2009 will be invited to participate in the 2010 US Championships in whatever division they participate in, in 2010. The location of the 2010 Championships has not been decided, but we are looking into some fun, new sites. We hope to come back next year even stronger then before.

We have made this decision based on a variety of factors, participation, event costs, and sponsorship. Unfortunately, due to the economy, participation levels are lower then expected at local INT events. The results of INT’s latest survey showed that only 30% of participants said they would attend the US Championships if invited. Three of INT’s states canceled their 2009 tours due to a lack of local sponsorship and because they were unable to get tow boats from dealers or promo boat owners. The US Championships are fully funded by participant entry fees. Without full participation the INT League cannot afford to host this event. By taking this year off, we hope that INT participants have a chance to save their money, and be ready for a wonderful experience at the 2010 US Championships.

Event costs are high and without full participation, INT cannot host the event. Each year the host hotel asks the INT League to sign a major contract to secure rooms for our participants, staff, sponsors, and awards banquet. If we were unable to fill those rooms, INT would have been responsible for a $26,000 bill and no way to pay it.

Last year INT had sponsor contracts and we budgeted accordingly, some of which were never paid. Sponsorship is down this year 37%, and INT does not have the additional revenue to subsidize the US Championships if there was a short fall in participation. We also want to be sensitive to our sponsor’s budgets. It costs quit a bit for them to come to the Championships and in this difficult economy, this would be a welcomed break.

We have tried to cut the budget as much as possible, but the costs of hosting an event of this magnitude can’t be cut enough to make it possible. INT has prided ourselves on putting on a prestigious event. Our participants pay a lot of money to get there and expect and deserve an excellent experience, we don’t want to host a US Championships that is less then first class.

The INT League is a family run business, if we were unable to meet our numbers, we would have had to shut our doors. This is a difficult time in our country’s economy; it would not be fiscally responsible to host the US Championships. We just aren’t willing to take the risk and hope that our participants and sponsors will understand and continue to come to INT events.

It has been incredibly difficult to make this decision, we feel as though we are cutting off our right arm. We have been prudent in our business practices, but due to the economy this situation is out of our control. Please continue to compete in INT events and support INT’s local and national sponsors.

Sincerely,

The Stocks Family

INT League
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
That SUCKS !!!!!

I hope everybody still attends the local INT's. I know out here in Nor-Cal I look forward to them and seeing and hanging out with great friends. I've made many at these events and it would be a shame to have all the hard work the coordinators put into this year go to waste.
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
Hate to see championships go the way of the economy. This year SoCal is consistent and has a really good vibe going. Championships or not, we'll keep going. It's the lifestyle and the love of wakeboarding that will keep the sport going in California. It's hard to find boats like the article says but we had Randall Harris' Axis A22 for the first event. We'll use our own if we have to. Westcoast - Ride to Live.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-23-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
Very sad to see the US Championships go away. We have tremendously enjoyed them the last several years. I hope everyone will continue to support the local events. Every event in NorCal is a great time with friends, and the events stand on their own merit.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-23-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
OK, from what I see, it is not going away, it is just trying to stay afloat in these tough economic times. Major changes have been made this year in an effort to just to keep the doors open. One thing about recessions is that at one point, they end. The INT will be back. Huge companies that have always been sooo generous with event coordinators in the past are trying to save money, let alone their own jobs. They will be back, it just won't be this year! I attended the INT nationals for the first time last year, it wss a fun evet, I can pretty much guarantee they will be back at one point. Again, we all need to just hang on through these tough economic times. Hugs all around!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-24-2009, 6:04 AM Reply   
Robyn- I didn't mean go away permanently. If the money's not there, it's not there. INT is doing what they believe they have to do to survive. That's good for the long run. INT is the stepping stone that has allowed my kids to progress competitively. A lot can be learned by competing in grassroots events. Again, I urge people to support their local INT and other grassroots events.
These events can be a ton of fun with or without the US Championships.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
That's very sad. I always look forward to Nationals every year, and it just wont be the same come this september...
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
This is a sad day for INT. I will still support my local events. People have worked hard to keep the events going in Nor-Cal. I love going and seeing the younger kid progress threw the year. I also enjoy meeting old friends and making new ones. We all need to keep bringing people to the events get the word out alot of people don't know there is even a INT event. Where they can compete some just think there are pro events and they know there is no way they can ride at that level. So if we bring more people in there will be more of a chance to keep the Nationals alive.
Now its up to us the riders to keep INT and the industry alive. This season Jeff Hill and I have brought 3 riders and families to the events I know they love it because they can't wait for the next event to happen. Also if some of you don't like the way the events are running get involved make the changes. INT is always up for better ways to make events run better. INT was made for us the grass roots riders. I am sorry I just was away from INT so long. I am still puzzled how we did nationals in 96 I am sure the turn out is 6 times the amount.
Old     (scheaferwake)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Sad for the sport and the riders. But you had to see it coming.

Maybe Chuck and Peter from Nor Cal can host a regional West Coast Comp!!!! We would go in support it..