Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-15-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have discovered that my 2007 3DS bindings have some small mold spots on the white part of the boot. I thought about using bleach to try and remove the spots, but didn't want to damage the bindings. Is there another product that will remove the spots or does anybody have any advice on how to get them off? Thanks
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-15-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Bleach will probably bleach the color out on the cloth type portions of the bindings so don't use that. Try dish soap. Grease Lightning is good stuff and doesn't harm the vinyl or other materials. White vinager may help as well. I'm just guessing.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-15-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks. I didn't want to use bleach. It was gonna be a last resort.
Old     (redlinewatersports)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-15-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
Stay away from dish soap! Think about it... The main purpose of dish soap is to cut grease and oil and break it down. And what is an integral part of rubber? Oil! All you're going to do is cut the life of your bindings by doing that. I would try a wetsuit shampoo if you can get your hands on it. Any local dive shop should have it, as it is readily available from O'Neill. If you have trouble finding it, send me a message... Good luck!
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-15-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
it's dish soap man............by the time dish soap starts to break down your bindings it will be time for a new pair.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       02-15-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
I used dish soap for in/out of my bindings for 2 seasons, riding 2 to 3 sets twice a week from May-Oct and only got rid of my bindings to look for a different set up style. They held up really well, I couldn't tell you that it caused any wear/tear other than it was hard to rinse out when I put them on and hopped in
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-15-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
Ok so dish soap it is for the first try. Im not to worried about dish soap damaging the binding because we use dish soap mixed with water to get in/ out of our bindings like Brooke said he has in the past. Thanks guys
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-15-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
might be a silly idea...but you might try magic erasers if they are surface spots...
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
I used dish soap for a couple of years before I knew any better. Still no problems after I made the switch to shaving cream.

Another idea to throw out there is some Fantastic.
Old    110outlet            02-16-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Dish soap and shaving cream equals bad for the environment. Just use the binding lube, its biodegradable. Its not expense and u actually use less because it has better viscosity, plus you dont have your feet slide out of your bindings on your first wake jump. My gf is a enviro geek so we have all heard the lectures about it.

Fantastic should work fine, or throw them in a bucket and scrub them with soap.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-16-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
On the environmental comments on dish soap, there are plenty of biodegradable dish soaps out there... I use both dish soap and boot lube. Wally World had about 5 bottles for $0.50 each a couple of months ago and I stocked up.. I am covered now!
One suggestion on the mold, could you steam it with something? I would think Hot Water would work on it some. I am sure the bathrooom cleaners are too caustic for this..
What about some of the citrus cleaners?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
I thought this was a thread about bindings that are molded to fit your feet...
Old     (cyprus)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-17-2008, 4:42 AM Reply   
Sorry to say but mold stains are almost impossible to clean. They can also spread since mold is a living organism (fungi). Place your bindings under direct sunlight for a few days. Brush the parts where there is mold afterwards outside your house. You do not want them to spread inside your home. UV light should kill them but their stains will most likely remain. Diluted bleach can be used on your bindings and any other bag, clothing etc that had direct contact with the molded bindings.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
Dave....so did I
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-19-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
On a side note - Stay away from citrus cleaners when it comes to your boat, especially the vinyl. They destroy the built in UV protectant that's impregnated in the vinyl. Armor All is also horrible stuff. I've heard that Simple Green is bad for the vinyl as well.

(Message edited by cpizzle on February 19, 2008)
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-19-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure that the spots are only on the surface. I'm gonna try some of the suggestions above. I will let you guys know what works.