Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (jmurez)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I may be moving from Texas to Calgary and was wondering if anyone on this board was local to Calgary. I am in Calgary now through the weekend. What is the wakeboarding scene like? I know the water is cold, but how cold? Dry suits? 3/2s? Does the season run May - September? What lakes do most people go to?
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Man the water is not that cold. You might want to drysuit it in like May but...thats about it. You'll get used to it. I'm not from Calgary but Manitoba is the same. I guess if you're used to Texas water it'll seem cold but you'll get used to it.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
There is a competion on the 25th at Chestermere Lake. That would be a good oppurtunity to hook up with riders.

I won't be around but these guys will hook you up...

Saturday July 25th

Lake Chestermere, Chestermere Water Festival

Cost $60
Pre-register with Hyperactive Watersports at 403-277-9118 or register day of 09:00, contest kicks off around 10:00

Contest is being held at John Peak Memorial Park. It's an all ages, all abilities contest.

Alberta Wakeboard Provincials
Saturday August 1st
Alix Lake (Town of Alix)
Cost $55 plus WSWA membership ($30)

Registration starts at 08:30 and the contest starts at 09:00

For tournament info please call Shawn or Roxane at 780-797-3136 (before 22:00/10:00 pm) or email Shawn at wsrwakeboardclub@hotmail.com prior to the contest. You may be able to pre-register as well (check with Shawn or Roxane).

For any other questions about the contest format, judging, or other details please call Shawn or myself

Jeff (780-903-4333)
Old    jklaus            07-23-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Calgary is home for me, so I take what I get. Water isnt the warmest but it's clean and fresh!

Lakes are pretty limited close to Calgary - Ghost is 1/2hour, Chestermere is ~15min - 1/2hour away depending where in Calgary you're at.

Water is cold but do-able. I ride with a good 3/2 fullsuit most times, but have heater shorts & top on nicer days. Sometimes you can ride without rubber on really warm days at ghost which is the coldest around.

Ghost gets up to 65ish during the summer, and down to low 50s in shoulder months (may/june & sept/oct).

I bought a drysuit for early season riding, but havent used it that much.

Other lakes around like Travers and Sylan are typically warmer than ghost and probably get up to 70, so that's not too bad.

Too bad, I just sold my boat otherwise I'd have you come out with me. Email me or pm me though and we can hook up and I can give you some more info.

Cheers, Jeff
Old     (jmurez)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
Thanks all. Jeff, I'll email you.
Old     (lildave)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
How far way from Calgary is Alix?
I'm gonna be in Calgary that weekend.. wouldnt mind checking it out..
Old    dperizzolo            07-23-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
The shops do a lot to promote the wake scene in Southern Alberta. It is definitely growing. There are plenty of small lakes around where you are able to ride at. Finding a tow might pose as a little bit of a challenge though.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-23-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hi guys,

Directions to Alix from Calgary
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Calgary&1s=AB&2c=Alix&2s=AB

Mapquest says about 2 hours, so if you drive like most Alberta drivers, budget 1.75.

We've also got a group on facebook called Alberta Wakeboarders. I post everything that I come across up on there, and I've recently started posting the events to the group. Shortly after I get them up on facebook I get them up on here.

Feel free to join the facebook group or call me at the above listed (903-4333) and I'll do what I can to help put you in touch with some people.
Old     (lildave)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-24-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Oh that is a little too far.. If I had my car it wouldnt be an issue but I'm not gonna have my own vehicle with me :-(
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-24-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
Dave,

we can throw a post up on the facebook group and see if anyone from Calgary has room for you. Fire me some contact info that I can post up.
Old     (lildave)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-24-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
I think I'm gonna have to pass. I wont be getting into Calgary till about 3 am on Saturday. I'm going to visit family anyways so I should most likely stay in town. Thanks for the offer though. Maybe I might be able to convince the family to go.