Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-08-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
This is the video cam I've been waiting for!!

3 chip HD with 16X9 aspect sensors and because it's a Sony the image quality should be way better than the JVC! And it looks like Apple is adding suport for this format to FCP. WOW . . . . . I'm glad I haven't been shooting a lot of DS2 footage yet!

Life is GOOD!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-08-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
Wow, that's amazing - finally an affordable hi-def video cam. Looks like the competition from Panasonic and Canon has finally forced Sony to step it up.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 7:03 AM Reply   
cool. bummer there are no XLR connections.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-09-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
toolfan:

Notice they mention a "pro" model that will be showing at IBC. That should be the above in the "PD" series and should have XLR's. And Canon just intro'd the XL2! Well now Canon knows how Nikon feels!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-09-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
Here is an indepth look at the new cam:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-Announces-High-Definition1080i-HDR-FX1-First-3-CCD-HDV-Camcorder.htm

The Indie guys are moaning because it doesn't offer 24p and of course everyone wants XLR connectors. But 1080 60i is way better than 720 30p for shooting wakeboarding because it's going to handle motion way better ( and slow motion when rendered in a NLE also). Plus with 3 CCD's you're going to get rich color like the DVX vs the washed out picture from the JVC. Plus Sony has always had the best DV and mpeg2 codecs so I expect the quality to be as good as you can get given the high compression of this spec. I will probably wait for the PD version even though audio is pretty much non-essential for WB shooting.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
I got an XL2 on the way. Hopefully I will have it tommorrow.

I shot some stuff with the consumer HD JVC cam. It shot reallllllllly cool (opposite of warm in this instance). I didnt care for the image quality myself either.

Looks like HDV is gonna take the market by storm. I dont know if you know about the stink that this is causing. With only FCP and Premiere "fully" supporting HDV now, its a really bold statement for Sony to make it. Avid is now gonna have to play catch up. I talked to my Avid rep today and they are frantically R&D'ing HDV.

Does FCP allow you to mix resolutions and frame rates(60i,30i,24p...) within a project???

How much do the HDV tapes cost??? The HD tapes I shot with this year were $140 a pop!
Old                09-09-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
how much u selling the old camera for
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-10-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
So it looks like they took the ND, iris, gain, and audio controls from the DVX100. Now if they only put a real eye cup on it..

It will be interesting to see how well the "Real Time HD Codec Engine" in the first generation sony holds up. A lot on new technology in this cam..

Rich I'm confident you'll be the first on this forum to own the new sony, so make sure to gives us an indepth update! =)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-10-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
Actually I thought it still looks a lot like the VX series, nothing wrong with that. Somebody will make an after market eyecup, that's for sure.

I'm definetely going to check it out but until I see how wakeboarding footage looks and I know I can edit it I think I better keep the DVX. (Reality setting in!)