Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-05-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
CWB made the statement on thier Facebook page they will have a commercial on at halftime during the superbowl. This is a great step to mainstream the sport we all love. Codos to CWB for making that investment, hope it pays ten fold.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-05-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Scratch that they just retracted thier statement, what asses.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-05-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
That would have been really awesome if they could have done that though. The companies that have commercials in the super bowl drop unreal amounts of money for that kid of airtime.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
they wouldve been broke if they went through with it
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-05-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
So.... Let's say a wakeboard affiliated company had a commercial during the super bowl.. What company do you think could/would do it?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-05-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
If it was a board company, it would be one of the Archer companies, that's for sure. Probably LF or Hyperlite just because of their huge popularity. I could also see a Mastercraft commercial or maybe one of the energy drinks.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-05-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
If it was a board company, it would be one of the Archer companies, that's for sure. Probably LF or Hyperlite just because of their huge popularity. I could also see a Mastercraft commercial or maybe one of the energy drinks.
i thought cwb was an archer company?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-05-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
i thought cwb was an archer company?
they are
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-05-2012, 8:41 PM Reply   
I don't understand how this industry can function all under the same conglomerate. The only really active smaller brands are ronix and slingshot
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-05-2012, 9:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I don't understand how this industry can function all under the same conglomerate. The only really active smaller brands are ronix and slingshot
That is not true. Slingshot and Ronix are well known because they've become mainstream successes, but there are a slew of smaller niche brands pushing the market and the sport in new directions.

Don't forget about Rope, Humanoid, Phalanx, Wakeology, J-star/Jobe, and especially CTRL, who seem to be poised for cable domination. There will always be a market for niche brands in action sports, and when these niche brands meet with initial success, they can cross over to the mainstream.

Once a brand achieves the foothold that Slingshot or especially Ronix has, the Kent people can't easily stamp them out like they did to Company. These brands aren't going anywhere and they're only going to get bigger. As long as they exist, Kent brands will have to push themselves to pump out new and improved product.

It's working. Hyperlite, LF, CWB, and O'brien are killing it, and we probably have Ronix and Slingshot to thank for that.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2012, 5:20 AM Reply   
I guess I should've worded that better i should've said established rather than active, I realize that there are lots of smaller brands, and hopefully that stays. In terms of the conglomerate, however, i feel like when you look at tech within that grouping of brands it's all pretty similar. The only place you really see a lot of difference is the bindings IMO, and even those are similar .
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-06-2012, 7:21 AM Reply   
Ehhh, I don't think it's as bad as you say. When I go from an LF to a Hyperlite to a CWB to an O'brien, it feels like I'm riding a board from a totally different company. I think Kent has done an excellent job of establishing unique identities for each of its brands.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       02-06-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
Hey I thought this was a superbowl thread?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
It was until the commercial didn't happen.