Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Y'all told me this would happen, but I didn't listen...we outgrew the broadcast pretty quick. In all honesty I actually like the board cuz it feels really mellow which is what I was wanting, but now the group we ride with is all progressing quite well so we thought we might want to step it up a little bit. What would be the next board? Trying to get one board for everyone to use, but may consider one for the ladies and one for the guys. Also, probably consider getting my kids their own board. They are both riding which is really cool. Still with the rope, but getting up and riding for awhile is great for now. We have a 5'6" broadcast. And my kids are 7 and 10. Thanks
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-20-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
You should definitely pick up a Phase 5 Scamp for the kids. They are only about $200 and will make a big difference in the kid's riding because it actually fits them.

For the adults it's hard to say because I dont know the weight range or wake size
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
range is 130-200. I know its a big range, but again if we are going a guys and gals board then the ladies board would need to range from 130-150. Guys around 200.

Wake size is a 03 Supra Launch SSV if that helps. 565 in the rear, another 600 surfside mid boat and about 600 front center...
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
any other board suggestions for weight ranges and boat? I'll check out the phase5 for the kids, but I remember reading somewhere that people have used old skurf boards for kid's wakesurf boards...anybody actually done this? I have an old skurfer...
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-22-2011, 10:23 PM Reply   
I have an old skurfer converted into a surfboard for the kids and ladies. Several of my friends have since done the same thing.

The skurfer is an old Hyperlite board. It is a tri fin. We pulled off the bindings and ordered some surf traction.

All of my kids ride the board as well as ladies and anyone really up to about 130 lbs. It is really quite fast and very stable. When we pull out the 3rd fin it loosens it up a lot and it gets faster. Its also very easy to sink the board for easy starts for newbies and kids that don't weigh very much.

I have been very impressed with it. Picked them up for 20 bucks in the local classifieds.

Here are a few pics of some of my family and my buddies family riding one of our hyperlite skurfers
Attached Images

Last edited by bigcatpt; 08-22-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-22-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
Where is that you are riding bigcatpt? That looks like somewhere I really would like to visit.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2011, 10:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
Where is that you are riding bigcatpt? That looks like somewhere I really would like to visit.
Lake Powell... One of the most beautiful places on earth!!!! I sent you a PM with some details on CC.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
All the ladies on my boat like the skim boards cause they sink easy making startups easier. A Phase5 Drew Large could handle both guys and girls on your boat.

My kids have a Scamp and from my 40lb 5-year old to my 13 yr old 100lb daughter all rock it. That Skurfer looks sweet, haven't tried my buddie's surfing...yet.

Inland makes great durable surf-style boards that my crew who is intermediate like. It's usually what I suggest as a good next step up from a broadcast
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-31-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
Well, our friends decided to buy us a new board and they picked us up a 4'4" Coex. The ladies love it. The guys....not so much. I probably just need to learn to ride it different, but it was difficult to keep in the pocket for me. Is it just a learning curve because the board is so different? Or is possibly just not a great board for bigger riders???

Also, I found a slingshot arcane in my local classifieds for reasonable price...anybody ridden that? doesn't look like they've made many surfboards...